Fight & Flight

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When I went down for breakfast the next morning, I was expecting for mom to be waiting for me by the staircase, hands on her waist with a stern expression on her face. But she wasn’t. Our housekeeper said mom left early for work. I gathered my things and went to school right after breakfast. I saw Eun Hye by the cafeteria around lunch but I didn’t say a word about what happened between me and Jae Hoon or the impending disaster waiting for me when I get home.

However, she seemed to know what happened at the party—the part where I’m not going to medical school anymore. Apparently, some of my schoolmates attended the party as well, and being a member of the upper-class society, their auditory sense must be impeccable. Eun Hye picked up on my mood though and didn’t ask any questions.

I kept on spacing out the whole day as well. I was called out four times for staring too long outside the window or not hearing our teacher’s question during pop quizzes. After school, I had a meeting at the library with a few of my classmates for our history oral report in the next coming weeks. My mood finally shifted and I found myself participating during our meeting.

“It’s still a bit early,” the leader of our group said. We were standing outside the school gate, minutes after we finished. “D’you guys want to hang out for awhile? How about a smoothie? Anyone?” she inquired with a smile.

Everyone in our group agreed delightedly, including me. I didn’t want to go home yet so I decided to join them. However, I regretted my decision almost immediately when they decided to hang out at Kyungsoo’s café. They insisted that it’s near the bus stop and since everyone likes to go there, I had no choice but to go with them.

As we entered the café, I half-hoped Jongin wasn’t there. I scanned the room and spotted no trace of him. My group and I settled on a table near the counter. After a few minutes, I was starting to have a little fun with my classmates when the doors of the café opened. Chanyeol entered first followed by a girl with long, wavy brown hair. She was smiling at the guy who had his arm slung over her shoulder. The arm belongs to the person I was trying to avoid for a few weeks now—Jongin.

For a moment, the backdrop of the café dissolved and he’s all I could see. Maybe he didn’t noticed me because he was wearing a cap and busy chatting with the girl in his arms. Or perhaps because he doesn’t really expect me to be here. I deftly avoided this place as much as I could for the past weeks. They settled a few tables away from us; Jongin still oblivious of my presence.

I perfectly knew it was stupid but I couldn’t stop looking over at their direction. I kept sneaking a glance over their table, over the girl Jongin’s talking to. I found myself glaring at her for some reason. Just when I was about to avert my attention from them, Jongin turned his head over my direction. I caught a subtle surprise look on his face before I hurriedly shifted my gaze. Unnerved, I accidentally bumped my classmate’s drink.

“I’m so sorry,” I said embarrassedly. I quickly grabbed a handful of tissue and wiped her chocolate stained skirt.

“It’s alright, Su Ji.” she said honestly as she wiped her skirt with a tissue as well.

I apologized to her again and she reassured me she’s alright. But I still feel bad and stupid and just stupid so I offered to accompany her to the restroom to clean up her skirt. I kept apologizing to her while we there and she told me to stop apologizing already and told me to stop worrying because she’s totally okay. After cleaning up her skirt, I told her I’ll be using the restroom as well and that they didn’t have to wait for me. She waved goodbye at me and left the restroom.

After a few moments, I left the bathroom myself and the next thing I knew, I was leaning against the post diving the bathroom and the small stage, taking calming breatha when someone tapped me by the shoulder.

“Hey, Su Ji,” Chanyeol smiled at me. “How’ve you been?”

“Hi, Chanyeol.” I managed to say awkwardly. I still feel a little flustered though from the scene I just caused. “I’m okay, thanks for asking.”

“It’s been awhile.” he said, he was wiping clean his guitar on the stage.

I gave him a yeah-I’m-sorry kind of smile. “Yeah, I just got a little busy…”

“Right, so busy she disappeared for month.” someone scoffed behind me. Surprisingly, I knew the owner of the voice even without looking, even if I haven’t heard it for last few weeks. I didn’t turned around to face him and merely bit the inside of my cheek.

“And when she’s busy,” Jongin said, his voice thick with mockery. He shuffled forward and peered into my face. I finally glanced at him and he was giving those cold-bitter smile. “She develops an ability to skillfully avoid calls, and basically all kinds of communications.”  

“Jongin, ca—” Chanyeol began.

“And if you’re lucky, she’ll pretend you don’t exist altogether.” Jongin continued as he coldly looked at me right in the eyes, ignoring Chanyeol who looked awkward by the situation. “Which reminds me, what brought you here?” he asked me scathingly.

Okay, I deserve that. I thought to myself as I stared back at him. Hard. It’s his prerogative to feel infuriated towards me. But he doesn’t know what I’m going through and he’s being unreasonable. I testily gripped the straps of my backpack and drew in a very deep breath.

“I-I gotta go...” I mumbled almost inaudibly. I hastily turned my away from them and briskly exited the café.

I walked out of the café as quickly as I could. I ran across the street and then continued to walk hurriedly until someone grabbed my arm sleeve and blocked me from further walking away.

“What do you want?!” I said to him annoyingly as I took his hand off my sleeve.

“I want to know why you didn’t return any of my calls?!” Jongin demanded, panting and positively looking flustered.

“What does it matter?” I argued with him. “Just go back inside, your girlfriend’s waiting for you!”

Jongin scoffed. “Are you seriously offended right now because I’m with someone?”

“I’m not upset wi—”

“I can’t be with someone but you can?” Jongin stated rather crossly. I avoided his gaze, feeling flustered myself. “For God sake, Su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter