Oh What A Night

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The last few days of July had been quite eventful, not only for me, but for the entire crew. Eun Hye was especially pleased with how the filming has been going for awhile now. Everyone in our crew were very cooperative and shares their own ideas in making the short film more engaging and fun. While we’re having fun working and getting busy, it’s also a bit tiring.

Eun Hye suggested that we should take a little break from filming and hang out as a group. Chanyeol quickly piped in and suggested this pizza café where his favorite indie band usually plays. It sounded like a great idea so we all agreed to go.

I really wanted to go out because I didn’t want to spend the rest of my day at home. I’ve been avoiding mom since we talked the last time and from the way she would shift her gaze from me, she was doing the same thing.

On a Saturday afternoon, we all agreed to meet up outside the building where we film so we could all go the cafe together. When I arrived, Chanyeol, Jongin and Da Hee were already standing outside the building. They greeted me as I joined them. Soon, Kyungsoo and Eun Hye arrived together and we all set off to the pizza café.

We took the subway and arrived at the artsy pizza café just in time before the band was playing. The pizza café was a bit crowded, however, we still managed to get a good table where we could see the stage. Two bands played that night and one of them were mine and Eun Hye’s favorite. We didn’t expect to see them, so I was especially delighted when they performed. As usual, they put on an amazing show and Eun Hye and I couldn’t help ourselves from cheering on them.

After the performance of the band, the host of the told the audience that he’s looking for someone who could perform while the band members were taking a few minutes to rest. Jongin, who’s sitting beside me raised his hand, and then he pointed his finger at Chanyeol whose eyes widened in surprise. Jongin confidently told the host that his friend was good in playing guitar, Kyungsoo agreed as well and they both urged Chanyeol to take the stage. At first, Chanyeol was shy but when he got on stage and held the instrument in his hands, he went off and lost himself on his own music. The audience was evidently surprised by how amazing he sound. I was astonished myself, he’s playing really well.

While Chanyeol was performing, Jongin leaned closer to me and whispered in my ear that Chanyeol was taking music in a university and was one of the best guitar players when they were still in high school. I merely nodded my head and then, a thought struck me.

I glanced at Jongin who turned his attention back on stage where Chanyeol was still performing. I wondered, as I look at him, why he isn’t attending university just like his friends. Like what he had said, Chanyeol was taking up music in a university and last time I checked, Kyungsoo was taking culinary arts.

I recalled that day when I made an spontaneous visit to the café. I sneaked into the kitchen to look for Eun Hye, because she usually goes in there, but then I heard whispering voices. Chanyeol’s and Kyungsoo’s

“It’s almost been a year now,” Chanyeol whispered to Kyungsoo. “Why can’t he just—”

“Don’t.” Kyungsoo warned. I caught him taking a quick glance to the table where Jongin was busy munching on a cupcake. “You know him. When he made up his mind, he made up his mind. Let’s just… give him some time.”

I didn’t hear the rest of their conversation because I knew it was inappropriate to eavesdrop. However, I couldn’t help but wonder what happened to Jongin a year ago. I think it must be a big deal because it affected his life quite seriously that he didn’t want to attend college and all and submit himself into working at the shop instead.

After the show, we started ordering food. I was talking to Eun Hye about how I still couldn’t find a good art box to replace my old tattered one while eating my fries. Eun Hye said she knows a good art shop we could visit some time. I also took a slice of Eun Hye’s pizza, the one with less olives in it because I don’t really like olives.

“A tree.” I heard Jongin saying beside me. I looked over him as he inspect my tray. “You’re drawing a tree using ketchup and fries.” Jongin noted again.

“You like my masterpiece?” I joked and jerked my head towards what I just drew: small branches of tree without its leaves.

Jongin merely chuckled and turn his head towards his own tray of food.

We stayed inside the café for a couple more of minutes and chat. I was surprised that Jongin knows about my favorite band; actually, he knows a lot about them more than I do. He said his sister used to like them and she would play their songs all day long. He said she’d play them in loud volume and since their bedrooms were opposite from one another, he unconsciously memorized the lines of the songs and eventually found himself liking them as well. I told him about the mixes I made with their songs in it. He asked if I could lend him some of the CDs I made and I gladly said yes.

After a few more moments, I was standing by the café’s mini lobby, inspecting their colorful bulletin board where the schedule of the bands performing was posted.

“Are you planning to come back here?” I looked over my side and saw Jongin standing beside me, glancing at the bulletin board and then back at me. “I don’t know yet.” I shrugged. “Maybe. But we’re going to get busy the next few days so, I don’t know.”

“The band’s going to play again next month.”

“Yeah, they are.” I agreed, glancing up the bulletin board again. “They’re really good, aren’t they? I could listen to them all night. Especially their rendition of—”

“You look good on your shirt.”

“What?”

“I said you look good on your shirt.” Jongin repeated, taking a quick glance on my plu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter