Till Death Do Us Part

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Growing up, I used to wonder why mom had split personality towards my paternal grandmother. I was ten years old when she visited and stayed for the first time in our house. My sister and I were excited to meet her because she hardly make any visits and she’s the only living grandparents we have—mom’s parents died when she was young.

When I got older, I realized mom doesn’t like grandma very much, and vice versa. As far as I know, it’s because grandma never liked mom for my dad. Classic, I know.

However, grandma hadn’t much choice because dad was determined to wed mom. Throughout grandma’s occasional trips in our house, I recalled seeing mom being receptive and cordial towards her (for the sake of dad, I suppose) even if grandma would rebuff her outwardly.

Dinner and lunch were the most awkward ones. Grandma loves to critique mom’s preparation and cooking skills. I used to naively gawk back and forth from mom and then to grandma as they glare at each other. Then my sister would nudge me on the side and whispered to stop staring and continue eating my food.

The last time I saw grandma was during my dad’s funeral, almost two years ago. We used to think that we’ll never see her again because the only reason she would visit us was dad, and occasionally me and my sister when we did something she could brag to her friends.

So when grandma called Saturday morning and informed us that she’ll arrive around late afternoon, mom and I nearly choked on our breakfast.

Mom was frantic after the phone call and started yelling at our housekeeper to clean the entire house all over again. She started flipping through cook books and magazine for ideas she’s going to prepare for dinner. She told me to get dressed because we’ll go to the market. It was the first time she acknowledged me after I told her about not attending medical school anymore.

Mom kept on grunting and mumbling infuriatingly while driving and while picking vegetables and fruits. She’s always like that whenever she’s anxious.

Grandma arrived right before dinner. She still looked the same, I guess. I smiled at her after letting her inside our house.

Meanwhile, mom put on her pleasant front as soon as grandma entered our living room. She was carrying a tray of grandma’s favorite tea. I reminded her about it because I thought grandma would love that. Mom accepted my suggestion unwillingly, yet there she was, holding the tray with a huge grin on her face. Grandma gave mom a critical look before accepting the tea cup. After taking a sip, she gave me a once over.

I always had a feeling she likes my sister more than me. I knew because I got my dominant features from my mom’s side, such as the petite frame and the freckles across my nose bridge, while my sister looked more like dad’s relatives. I also knew because grandma indirectly stated it to me once.

“Thank goodness you got your father’s eyes.” Grandma noted while peering straight into my eyes. “It feels like I am looking at him.” I merely smiled at her.

I dreaded dinner because I didn’t know what I’ll do if they start having a cat fight. Fortunately, they handled themselves quite well. Grandma started telling us that she will be staying with us throughout the summer. I caught mom froze in a twinkling moment, but recovered herself almost immediately. She pulled the most convincing smile and informed grandma she well prepared the guest room just for her.

When I went downstairs the next morning, mom and our housekeeper was busy in the kitchen. Grandma was hosting a brunch for her friends and acquaintances and, as expected, mom was irritated.

It was an awful timing because I was thinking of talking to her about our previous discussion—about me not attending the medical school anymore. We haven’t had a proper conversation yet and she hadn’t looked in me in the eyes directly since that fateful Friday night. When I said goodbye to her, she still didn’t looked at me and merely reminded me to get home before my curfew.

The gray clouds were scattered across the vague sky when I stepped out of the house. It started to rain when I arrived in the café where I supposed to meet Eun Hye and Da Hee. We’re planning to run lines with a few guys who could potentially portray our male lead. Naturally, Eun Hye was disappointed when I told her about Jongin. However, we both knew we need to move on already.

My friends waved at me and beckoned me to where they were sitting. Apparently, they reserved the biggest alcove. Kyungsoo greeted me when we walked past each other. As soon as I sat beside the girls, they introduced me to the three guys sitting across from us and then we started to get busy. We ask the guys some questions about their favorite films, if they joined their drama or film clubs at their school and if they had acting experiences. It wasn’t an exact requirement, but we need to make sure they at least have some background or interest on film or acting.

By the next several minutes, we let Da Hee run lines with each guys while Eun Hye assess their performance. The two guys were completely off and Da Hee could see and feel it, too. I didn’t want to sound rough and mean, but after hearing them run lines, I was starting to think they lied to us about that drama club they talked about awhile ago.

The third guy, however, looked fairly decent. He almost fit the role, his height and build were sufficient enough. But we have one problem with him.

“So,” Eun Hye were saying to the third guy, who’s smiling broadly at us. “You deliver the lines quite well, but I have one question, when’s your voice going to drop?” I elbowed Eun Hye. The two other guys chuckled. The third guy, however, seemed confused. Eun Hye looked at me with innocent eyes.

“You guys did great!” I told them a little too cheerfully. I heard Eun Hye sighed beside me and I took a quick glance at Da Hee who’s busy on her phone. “We’ll deliberate and then we’ll give you a call tomorrow.”

As soon as the three guys left the café, we started to deliberate. After a couple of minutes, the third guy was our only option. We thought maybe we could deal with his slightly high-pitched voice.

“What about your cousin?” Da Hee asked us after Kyungsoo dropped by our table to refill our cups.

Both Eun Hye and I looked over Kyungsoo who was now refilling the cups of a nearby table. “What about him?” Eun Hye asked.

“Can’t we consider him?” Da Hee suggested.

“No.” Eun Hye said flatly.

“Why not?” Da Hee frowned. “He looks like a decent performer.”

“I agree.” I piped. “Besides, I’ve seen him perform with Chanyeol the other night in here.”

“Girls, don’t get me wrong.” Eun Hye sighed. “I like my cousin and there are no arguments that he’s so good in many things like singing, dancing and cooking. But acting? No. Just no.”

Da Hee and I didn’t pressed the subject anymore. Eun Hye started to say that maybe it wasn’t our year, that maybe we should just back out. Da hee and I protested at once. We tried to explain to her that we could still work things out. While Da Hee continued to convince Eun Hye to not withdraw our application, I went to the patio when my phone started ringing. It was mom and she asked me to buy her a box of brownies and aspirin before I head home because she had already ran out. Our conversation stretched a bit when she started to whine about grandma being y on her. I just let her vent it all out which lasted for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter