The Unfolding of Us

I Dream

 


Blackjack Grand Casino, Seoul

The glasses clinked together as a student gathered them carefully into her hands to place them one by one on the shelf behind her.

"Eunji-ssi...?" someone cleared their voice behind her, surprising her enough to make her catch a glass that almost slipped out of her hand.

Leaning against the polished bar counter was her classmate, Jung Daehyun. She glanced around to see if anyone else was there, and gave him a brief smile.

"It's late...what are you doing here?"

"Same to you. You know we have school tomorrow right?"

"My shift ends in ten minutes," she checked the clock after placing the last shot glass on the shelf. "Now you answer."

"I'm starting here," he moved to help her wipe the counter. "Tomorrow."

"You'll be working...here?" A smile appeared on her face. She'd have someone to talk to.

He smirked, "How did you get to work here anyway? You're a female student."

"They were short of work, and the ahjussi here was my parents' friend. He knew my...situation."

"Sorry..." he averted his gaze.

He didn't know her well, but the whole class knew of her situation after her 2-week absence from school last month. The rumors probably reached everyone in the school.

Eunji's parents' death was still recent; he wondered how she must feel. They left her with the responsibility to get a job to pay for her tuition at the expensive Seoul Performing Arts Academy, the school she couldn't leave.

She grinned, waving a hand in dismissal, "It's okay. I just moved into my new place. Most of my things were sold anyway so I didn't even have any heavy lifting."

He couldn't help but let out a laugh. She looked proud of herself. "Is everything back to normal now?"

"Something like that."

A silence passed as Eunji removed her work clothes and exited with her bag slung over her shoulder.

"I'm working in a buffet if anyone asks," she gestured to their surroundings before shutting the lights off. Daehyun walked her leisurely down the street and around the corner. 

"Wait...this is..." He blurted as she turned up to an apartment complex, "You live here?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I live here too," he said, "that's incredible."

"We're neighbors?"

"And co-workers."

"And classmates!" She wasn't close with Jung Daehyun at all, rather just sang with him a few times. She always thought he was rich like everyone else.

"You're wondering how I can afford to go to that school if I live in a place like this, huh," he scanned her face, and she shook her head in an attempt to deny it, but he already caught her expression. "My parents are overseas. I got in on a scholarship."

"Oh," was all she could offer. Her story wasn't half as interesting. She'd spent her whole life in Korea after all. 
"Well, I'll see you at school then."

He jabbed at the up button a few more times until the door shut and carried him up another level. From the 8th floor he took the stairs up one more, to the rooftop.

Yes, he lived on the rooftop of the apartment complex. The landlady had given him a lesser rental price for the small single room at the top everyone was too lazy to walk up to. He liked it though - it was a cozy attic, and one room was more than enough for him. He'd been living there for the past year, when he moved from overseas to enter Seoul Performing Arts Academy in his second year. He missed everything about Korea, especially Busan, and hearing Eunji's accent just made it all real to him that he was finally back.

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, room 3A

"1+1 is gwiyomi!" Suzy was performing for her friends at the front of the classroom when Eunji slipped in quietly just before the bell. "Oh - good morning, Eunji!"

The girl smiled briefly, checking to see if any teacher had seen her come in late, "Gwiyomi player?"

"I learned it from Ilhoon himself before class," Suzy nodded, trying it again to earn mixed responses from her watching peers. The cutie player trend started up just before break, when Jung Ilhoon of 3B was asked to display a talent for his friend Peniel's vlog.

"Yah, yah! Why ask Ilhoon when you have the original Aegyo Wonder right here?" Yoseob sprang up from his desk to join them. "Eunji, you wanna learn? There's no actual math involved!"

"No thanks," she chuckled. "I can't do aegyo."

"Your loss," he shrugged and continued to tutor the girls in the art of cutie player Yoseob version.

Eunji made her way towards the back and saw Daehyun already seated in his usual back corner, his chin on his arms on the desk facing the window as always.

"Yah, class is about to start," she pushed his shoulder as she sat down in front of him in her assigned seat. "It must be fate with you and that window."

He snickered, his head still on the desk, "Fate comes to those who are fateful."

"Wise," she rolled her eyes, turning around to the front smiling.

"Yah, you kids, quiet!" The class's voices died down as their homeroom teacher shut the door loudly, announcing her arrival.

"Good morning, Hyori-teacher," the class greeted their vocal professor.

"Welcome to the new year, I hope you enjoyed your break," she glanced around quickly before continuing. "This is your year, kids. Senior year. Focus on your studies, or else you won't get into a good entertainment company or college."

The other teachers filed in as she spoke. The new instruments intern-turned-professor, guitar-bearing Choi Jonghoon, quieted all the female students. The dance teachers were the same, Hyuna and Hyunseung-teacher, who had no doubt planned a bunch more y dances for the new unit. The new acting mentor, Lee Joon, who raised some voices again. And then there was the vocal professor Hyori, who rapped on the board to get the attention of the class.

"Your homeroom and personal mentors for the next year, or until Headmaster Ma says so," she began to introduce them, but Hyori-teacher's resignation was on Eunji's mind as she watched her vocal teacher move around the front of the room with that baby-belly of hers.

"Also, we have a few combined classes with 3B..." Hyori heard the class's collective groans.

3A's teachers were younger, less experienced but more up-to-date. They had more information regarding current standards and trends. 3B's teachers were all middle-aged and were once Korea's leading stars. The professors of 3B had knowledge and experience.

Because of the difference, the two classes were at a non-stop rivalry, sometimes friendly, sometimes not.

"Quiet. The two classes open to both senior classes are Yoo Jae Suk's variety classes and G-Dragon and T.O.P's video cam lessons. Also, Bang Yongguk's advice cams will be uploaded onto the school website starting tomorrow."

Kwon Jiyong and Choi Seunghyun, known as G-Dragon and T.O.P respectively, were graduates of Seoul Academy and 2/5 of the sensational Big Bang.

Bang Yongguk was also the kids' senior, who'd graduated last year and was an up-and-coming rapper. There was word floating around that his idol group has yet to be put together.

"That's it for homeroom," Hyori gathered up her folders and left, the rest of 3A's administration following her out as the class burst into murmurs that became loud conversations after the door shut.

"Should we go get something to eat? Before everyone lines up at lunch," Eunji felt a tap on her shoulder.

Lee Hayi is the maknae of 3A, and became friends with Eunji over language lessons. Hayi could learn foreign languages like no other, but Eunji didn't even know how to ask for the toilet in English. On the other hand, Eunji's grades were high in Korean Literature and history but the younger girl's were average.

"You go first, I'm a little tired," Eunji rubbed at her bangs wildly as she covered her yawn with her other hand.

"Alright, I'll just buy you what you normally order, unnie," Hayi shrugged and left along with most of the class for the 10-minute break before Korean Literature class.

Daehyun lifted his head and sat back, taking out a pack of crackers.

"You want one?" He held one up to when he caught her glancing.

She bit it gratefully, and he pushed it into .

"Why don't you go get some food?"

"There's something else I wanted to do," she stood suddenly, remembering. Daehyun watched as she left, shrugging and going back to his food. Wasn't his problem.

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, rehearsal wing

Eunji entered a small private practice room and set her notebook on the piano stand, stretched her fingers reflexively, and began to play while singing.

Over the break she'd written a bunch of songs when she had free time to distract herself from her sudden life change. But there wasn't even a piano in the new apartment to play on!

"That was amazing," someone clapped behind her.

She whirled around, surprised, because the door hadn't even opened.

Jonghoon-teacher set his guitar down and smiled warmly, "Eunji, you have a really great voice."

"Oh - Jonghoon-teacher! Sorry, I didn't look around before-" she picked up her things quickly and stood.

"No, sit!" He waved his hands, and she obeyed. "Can you sing a few lines for me?"

"Of course," she listened as he sang the part in nonsense english, and repeated it with him as he plucked his strings.

When they finished he smiled as if anticipating a reaction from her.

His smile is really charming, no wonder the girls called him Prince Jonghoon. "It sounds kinda like..."

"Yours, right?"

She nodded, the melody was similar to what she just played on the piano.

"It is," he played it again. "I just added a few notes to your chorus."

"Wow..." her jaw dropped slightly. The sunbaes were talented, with Bang Yongguk as a soon-to-debut idol and Choi Jonghoon as a teacher among them.

Suddenly the bell rang again, signaling the beginning of class.

"Wait...I'm late!" She picked up her notebook, "Agh, I'll get reported!"

"Sorry..." Jonghoon gave her an apologetic look. "I'll take care of it."

She nodded and pulled open the door, dashing down the hallway, "Thank you, Jonghoon-teacher!"

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, teachers' office

"Student Jung Eunji, you are sentenced to two hours of after-school service for your fifth tardy this season. Please make it to class on time," Dean Yoon read.

She looked to Jonghoon-teacher expectantly, and he cleared his throat.

"Dean Yoon, actually I was speaking to Jung Eunji-ssi before class."

"Is that so?" The dean seemed to be having complicated thoughts. "Well...if Headmaster Ma were here, she wouldn't bend any rules..."

"Headmaster Ma is miles away," Jonghoon reasoned. "None of us will tell her, right?" He glanced at the other teachers for help.

"I didn't hear anything," Hyunseung shrugged and returned to his work.

"I won't tell," Ji Hyo slid her fingers across her lips and locked them, and then tossed away the imaginary key.

"Fine, I'll overlook it this time," the dean rewrote something in pen, and then signed it.

Hurried footsteps entered the teacher's office, and everyone looked up from their desks to see Hyori making a bee line for the dean.

"What is it?" The teachers watched as Hyori dropped an envelope on the headmaster's desk. The Dean picked it up and read the letters printed aloud.

"Letter of resignation...?" He unfolded it, lines growing on his forehead, "No, no! You can't resign yet! We don't have anyone to fill in your position!"

"I told you I'd be resigning," she gestured at her protruding stomach. "I'm tired and walking around like this, it's uncomfortable."

"Should we discuss this a different time?" Dean Yoon glanced at Eunji, and realizing the rest of the teachers were waiting for her, the girl quickly picked up  and left.

"We'll talk about this now," Hyori sighed. "I've put it off for a while already..."

"Jong Kook, could you double up your classes and teach 3A as well?" Dean Yoon rubbed his forehead. "Or maybe Hyunseung and Hyuna could co-teach Hyori's vocal classes."

Jong Kook looked over from his desk on the 3B side of the room, "I don't have the attention span to pay attention to twice the kids I normally teach. Besides, it won't work, 3A and 3B together."

"3A can't go without a vocal coach..." Dean Yoon looked back to the other teachers.

"You expect me to teach my load with a baby kicking my insides?"

"Just for a few more weeks!"

"Wait!" A smile emerged on Jonghoon's face as an idea came to mind. His sunbaes looked to him.

"Oh, does the maknae-teacher have a bright idea?" Yoo Jae Suk encouraged him to speak.

"How about having a student be a temporary mentor? Just until Dean Yoon finds a replacement for Hyori-sunbaenim."

"A student?" the teachers murmured, "A student being a teacher...?"

"Not a teacher, just something like a guide. Hyori-sunbaenim can give her some material to work on with the students herself."

"It won't work," Dean Yoon dismissed with a shake of his head, but Hyori held up a hand.

"I like this idea. Who's this student? She must be talented, if a new intern-turned-professor is risking his credibility."

"You like what -" Dean Yoon choked out before being cut by Jonghoon.

"The girl that was just here, Jung Eunji."

"Wouldn't Hyorin do better? Class 3's top rankings start with her, followed closely by Eunji and Ailee, and rounded up with IU," Jaejoong spoke up. Of course 3B's vocal teacher would know about that. Too bad he was too busy to teach more than one class; though he didn't perform much anymore, he still modeled and sang old songs at concerts and went on talk shows.

"Hyorin-ssi and Ailee-ssi would much rather focus on improving their own voices," Jonghoon replied. "They've already been auditioning for companies. Eunji's student profile doesn't list any activities or goals."

Jaejoong nodded, scanning his attendance list, "And IU has her own schedules, of course."

"...let's do that assistant thing," Hyori finally agreed.

"You're saying you'll teach and she'll mentor?" Hyuna raised a brow. "It doesn't sound..."

"It sounds fine," Ji Hyo voiced. "So whoever needs improving can go, the rest of the kids can improve in some other area, like acting. This buys some time for Dean Yoon to find a replacement."

"Ji Hyo-ya, now that you say it like that..." Jong Kook nodded. "It works."

"Well?" Hyori waved her hand at Jonghoon, "Hurry and tell her before she leaves!"

Jonghoon got up and bowed slightly before exiting, hurrying to catch up to Eunji.

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, room 3A

"What? So I'm in, just like that?" the girl was surprised at the whole thing. Jonghoon-teacher rushed into the classroom guitarless and explained what was going on, followed by Hyori.

"You can read notes fast and effortlessly. You have a wide range and good control. And by the way you correct yourself, I won't even have to tell you what to advise the other kids to work on!"

She continued, "We could probably even put in a word for you if you ever felt like taking on a job here after graduation, right, Jonghoon?"

"You can go, that's all," Jonghoon waved Eunji out.

"Yes..." she bowed her head politely before exiting with Hyori.

Jonghoon sat back on the chair with his guitar. At the end of last term, he remembered Eunji's paperwork was sent in during her 2-week absence with the parents listed as deceased and the address changed. It also listed that she had a part-time job at a buffet that obviously paid too little for the tuition expenses of the school. He knew she would need the job.

 


Blackjack Grand Casino, Seoul

"You seem happy," Daehyun noticed his friend's perky mood as she locked her bike next to his at the casino and headed for the buffet's bar.

Between serving beverages to middle-aged high class workers, Eunji told him the story.

"I'll get to hear you sing more?" He raised a brow as he wiped the lip of a glass clean.

Taking the glass from him she examined it to make sure it was polished right as she answered, "I'll get to hear you sing more."

"It's the perfect job," Daehyun sighed and leaned on the counter, jealous. "You get paid to sing, and it doesn't interfere with school."

He watched her zone out again and smile to herself. Amused, he snapped his fingers in front of her face, surprising her.

"By the way, why were you so late this morning? You said you were going to do something and ended up being tardy."

"Ah, I went to the practice rooms."

"For?"

"A song I wanted to hear on a piano. I composed it in my free time," she beamed as she replayed the event.

"You need a piano?" Daehyun raised a brow. "There's one in the basement of the apartment."

"There is? I haven't been down there.."

"There's stuff like pool tables and exercise equipment down there. There's a piano in the corner and sometimes people play with it while they wait for their laundry."

"Really..."

It became closing time quickly, and all the employees left one by one, until the manager ahjusshi left the bar in Eunji's care.

"Can I call you Eunji?" Daehyun asked as they wiped down the counter and seats.

"What's this so suddenly...yah, I'm your noona," she said informally.

"What do you mean? When's your birthday?"

"August 18th," she tossed the rag out, "1993."

"Nah, I'm your oppa."

"What? When are you...?"

"June 28th, '93," he smirked.

"I knew we were same-aged!" she exclaimed, trying to save face. "How about we just drop the formalities?"

"Are you just saying that because you're embarrassed you thought you were my noona?"

"What - NO, it's because we're like the same age!"

"I'm 2 months older!"

"I'm closer to the new year!"

"Yah!"

"Yah!"

The two of them burst out laughing. 

They arrived at the apartment building while talking and split at the 7th level, Eunji to her room and Daehyun to his rooftop as usual. Unsure of what to do in her nearly empty room, she picked up a photo frame and carefully smoothed her thumb over the glass surface, wiping away the bit of dust on her mother and father's intertwined hands. Might as well unpack a little.

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, room 3A

"And I have one more announcement for today," Hyori-teacher cleared at the end of homeroom above the noise of the chattering class.


"YAH, QUIET EVERYBODY!" A voice that wasn't Hyori's bellowed. The class silenced and turned in their seats to see a proud Yoseob sitting down.

"...thank you, Yoseob," Hyori nodded, a bit displeased. "Your private singing will be guided by your classmate, Jung Eunji, for a few weeks."

The class's attention made the girl a bit nervous as she smiled widely, inclining her head.

"Anyone who wants to have vocal help may do so at the recording studio during self-study every other day..." the teacher looked around. "Are we good?"

Class president Suzy stood and called for attention, and then commanded the class to bow, which they did quickly as Hyori-teacher left them to self-study.

Eunji packed up her stuff and hastily put them in her backpack, slinging it onto her shoulder and slipping out of the room to start her job.

Shifting his head, Daehyun noticed a crumpled piece of notebook paper under his chair and picked it up curiously, remembering that she had elbowed something off her desk earlier.

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, recording studio

"So...you're the mentoring type?" Her 'student' relaxed in the swivel chair next to her in the studio, gazing at her.

"Why not?"

"You're always working hard on your own. And you ignore me most of the time," he admitted with a small shrug. It was true, but it seemed she usually either spaced out when he tried to talk to her or she really didn't hear him.

She tried to think back but couldn't recall any incidents like that, and ended up just shaking her head in denial.

"Never mind," Kikwang set his notebook on the counter in front of them. "Let's get to work."

"Composing?" Her eyes scanned the score. "The theme was sadness...don't you think this has too much of a pop beat?"

Half an hour and a part of an eraser later, the newly arranged song had been penciled down.

"This is your thing huh," he watched as she hummed the tune.

"Of course! Here, this should get you more points with Hyori-teacher," she handed him the paper. "If you wanna use it for your final, come back and record it some other time."

"Can I hear yours?"

"My...?"

"Your song."

"...ah. I'm not finished." She smiled apologetically, "You should go before you're late to your favorite class."

Kikwang nodded and exited the recording room to head to Physical Activities, and Eunji exhaled before reaching for the composition.

"Wait..." patting her pockets frantically and realizing it was empty, she darted out into the hallway to retrace her steps. If someone saw that thing -

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, room 3A

"What the..." Daehyun's brows came towards each other as his eyes scanned the page from top to bottom. Was it a personal experience? First love...he couldn't relate; he never really liked anyone as much as was described.

"Your voice doesn't convey the emotions," Hyori-teacher always chided. He did his best...how come it was never right? Maybe Eunji could help?

"So will you just sit there and stare the whole study hour?" Suzy was standing at his desk. He shook his head, clearing out his thoughts as well as responding to her.

"Good, because I need some help..." she went on to ask him about pitch or something like that.

After listening for a while Daehyun cut her off, phrased the answer as shortly as he could, and she dashed back to her desk to share it with her friends.

The kids in the class are all so boring, he thought. He loved talking, but no one would even amuse him one bit. Except...

His eyes went back to the paper in his hands. He used to think Eunji was the same as the other kids - her parents were rich and she wasn't missing a thing. That might've been true up until recently.

"Yah Jung Daehyun!" He heard again, and was about to snap at the next kid asking him for answers when the paper was snatched out of his hands.

"This isn't yours," Eunji huffed in satoori, shoving it into her backpack before exiting again.

Her flustered expression as she snatched it away replayed in Daehyun's mind. It was her real feelings? Just who didn't she want to see it?

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, court/field

"One more time!" Yoseob panted as he tossed the ball back at his best friend, "Just one!"

"I already got you two times," Kikwang smirked, dribbling the basketball on the asphalt, and then picked it up to make another shot. "Three now."

"I wasn't ready!"

"Be ready," Kikwang spun around and made another shot backwards as the team members clapped him on the back.

"Just admit your loss, hyung," Dongwoon put a hand on Yoseob's shoulder. "And then tell him..."

"My aegyo is still better than yours!" Yoseob threw down his towel in a joking rage.

"Called it," Dongwoon snickered.

Kikwang shrugged and sat down on the court's bleachers, taking a sip from his water bottle, "Fair enough." 
The basketball court outside the school was his favorite place aside from the dance studio. Sports relieved his stress and relaxed him. Once he was done exercising he would just lay on the bleachers and watch the clouds.

"There he goes again," Doojoon hyung sighed, picking up the ball that had rolled over to where Kikwang laid. "We're going in for lunch. You want some chicken?"

"He'll pass."

"I'll pass."

"I'm good today!" Dongwoon pumped a fist. "Am I a great friend or what? I know everything you guys are gonna say!"

"Yah, you're even excited at that?" Doojoon pushed his chest playfully.

Kikwang sat up when they left, deciding to watch the outdoor gym class instead. Seeing his childhood friend kicking around a soccer ball in the distance brought back a memory.

 



"Oppa! I'm over here!" The young girl waved to him, picking up the ball that he'd kicked far out to the sidelines. She held up a thumbs-up. "Good job today!"

He sat down in the grass behind her, resting his back on hers. "Did you bring me something?"

She reluctantly handed him an ice cream she'd hid behind her back. "How did you know?"

"Because you bring one after every big game, stupid," he smiled, leaning his head on the back of her shoulder. "Did your favorite player do well?"

"My favorite player scored the end goal~"

"What? Wait...who?"

"Your team captain, of course," she scoffed, as if he was stupid to think anyone else. He snorted as well; the ice cream didn't taste as good.

After a silence, she spoke again, "Do you think we'll be married some day?"

He almost spit out his ice cream. "What? Us two?"

"N-not together, babo! I mean..."

"I know, calm down," he snickered, playing it cool. "Yeah, we'll be married."

Another silence passed, and this time he spoke, "Would you ever wanna marry me?"

It was her turn to cough suddenly, "What are you saying all of a sudden?!"

"If somehow we were the last two people on Earth..." he added, catching himself.

"Oh. Well then yes of course, we'll have to save mankind!"

Kikwang laughed along, but what she couldn't see was the small frown forming on his lips as he tossed the popsicle stick as far as he could across the field. That wasn't what he meant. Not at all. How come he can't ever say things right?

The popsicle stick landed perfectly in the dumpster by the bleachers.

 


Seoul Performing Arts Academy, field

"Yah, over here!" Eunji waved both her arms, getting her teammate's attention. Daehyun kicked to her, but the pass was just a little short, and the ball was lost to Lee Minhyuk, who scored yet another goal for 3B.

"Yah!" Suzy glared at all the players in her class, frustrated. "Where are all our athletic kids when we need them?!"

"Jung Daehyun!" Eunji smacked him on the back while he tied his shoes.

He cringed, "I know! It was a bad kick!"

"We can't win with 3B..." Hayi crossed her arms as she stood by Eunji and Daehyun.

"Of course we can't, look there," Eunji jerked her chin towards some of the girls who were on their phones as usual. "If they're not going to play-!"

"Your accent is getting heavier," Daehyun interrupted, placing his hands on the Busan native's shoulders. When he left to grab another ball for individual activities, Hayi grinned mischievously at her best friend.

Eunji frowned. "What? Why are you smiling like that?"

"Jung Daehyun, he's so talkative now. You two have been spending more time together, huh?"

"I didn't even think he had a sense of humor! It's shocking, right?" Eunji shook her head, "All previous images of him have been shattered. It's because we work together."

"That's not what I meant, unnie~" Hayi sighed as Daehyun came back. Mission failed...

"Yoseob, Doojoon, and Dongwoon are coming after lunch," someone leaped off the bleachers to join 3A, attracting the class's attention.

"Kikwangie, thank you!" Suzy and the others gathered around him.

"Don't mention it," his eyes lingered on that girl before grabbing the ball. "Let's put 3B in their places."

 


Ahahahah...a long intro chapter? I wanted to introduce everyone so bear with it please the plot will thicken haha

Comments please! Constructive criticism welcome, after all, i'm a newbie around here ~

Who was Kikwang having flashbacks about? How and why did Daehyun come back to Korea? What exactly did Eunji compose?  What do you think Hayi's up to?