Chapter 6-In The Summer

Stumbled On You

We got an A+. I doubt it was our work, the work was horrible. A messy clay statue of the human body, a couple sticks with flags titling the parts. L's smile probably did it. His smile usually does it for me. Lately, I'm not sure why, but he smiles. A lot. It's unusual, absurd, ludicrous. Why would he smile when all I've seen him do for the past 3 weeks was frown, and the occasional glare. Of course, he doesn't really smile, it's forced. But that does it for other people, even a forced smile on his face is still a good one to most girls. Not for me, though. I don't like that he looks like he's in pain. I hate it. But there are times, even now, when he's not being 'nice', and he really does smile. When Sungjong pulls a joke, and he laughs. He chuckles, and rocks back and forth, closing his eyes, smiling. These moments are by far the most beautiful, the most radiant and alive.

"Hyun Jae Hwa!"

I jump, startled by the interruption to my daydream. Myungsoo looks at me, his eyebrows raised, and waves a hand in front of my face. "You gotta stop doing that," he says.

"Doing what?"

"Staring at me, all the time!" He explains, and just stares at me.

"You're doing it now."

"Doing what?"

"You're staring at me."

"I'm not!" he argues, and looks away.

"I'm pretty, aren't I?" I joke, poking him in the side.

"You're ugly!" He shouts, and shoves me away.

I pout and cross my arms, Sungjong looks from Myungsoo to me and just laughs. It makes me wonder what he really thinks. Laughing is all he knows how to do. For a second, my eyes meet Myungsoo's, and the kiss flashes in my mind. I quickly turn away, and tug my hair behind my ear.

Slowly, I'll get over it. I was crazy, it was a simple passing phase. That just won't happen. It can't happen, I think, and look at him. No matter what my feelings are, he wouldn't reciprocate them. He's too...him.

***********

In musical composition class, our latest assignment is duets. Not just any duet though, a love song. Once again, another partner project. It's ridiculous! Why so many partner projects? but then again, at least I have the chance of being with Myungsoo. I look over my shoulder to his seat in the back of the room. He sits comfortably, with his legs crossed, not paying attention. In my mind I imagine writing a letter on a piece of paper, making it into a paper airplane and letting it fly. My elegant little plane would fly above the heads of unaware students, through the skies of the music room, and land on his desk. When he saw what was inside, would he smile? My daydream turns nightmare as I imagine him tearing the note to pieces furiously like a shark in a feeding frenzy. Oh no, anything but that.

"Alright now, everyone, choose your partner. Be sure they agree to it! No unwilling partnerships, Miss Go?" Go Hee Sung nods and glances at L, then blushes. No need to be embarrassed, she's not the only one stealing glances. Half the class is eye-balling him. One boy fearlessly nudges him, I can see him mouth, "choose a partner already! We need partners too!"

Myungsoo apologizes and stands up. The girls look like Hyena's gathered around a lion. The closer he draws, they back away an equal amount. I'm not scared. What do I care? I just sit at my desk, doodling. I hear footsteps behind me, but ignore them, "Jae Hwa," Myungsoo says. I hunch my shoulders and lower my eyes. "Hyun Jae Hwa," he repeats, louder. I slowly rise, and turn to face him. A crowd has gathered around us, gaping. He bites his lower lip, and my heart skips a beat. He shakes his head and sighs frustratingly, in a deep breath and looks at me. "Will you be my partner?"

With the crowd gathered, it almost seems like a marriage proposal. The only thing missing was a ring. I'm out of words. Did I use them all? Does god only grant a certain amount to each person? Nah, if he had then Sungjong would have ran out decades ago. But somehow, for reasons unknown to me, I don't say anything. Say something, SPEAK! I demand myself, but the words don't come. Myungsoo laughs dryly, bites his lips again, and smiles coldly at me. "I get it," he says, "Whatever."

He turns around, but I jump out and stop him, clinging to his jacket cuff. He gazes over his shoulder. "I-I'll do it." I whisper, and immediately drop my eyes, and toss his arm back to him like it's toxic, and simply it's touch could hurt me.

He gapes at me. Brown eyes wide, looking sweet as chocolate and surprised as morning. Beautiful. Flawless. Perfect. I'd like to say I haven't fallen, but would it be a lie? I'm not even sure anymore. I'm drawn in by him everytime. Like magic.

Girls around the room hiss and groan like an old car breaking down. They choose other partners, head different directions, so why am I so lucky? Was I blssed with a happy story, or a sad one?

"Have anything in mind?" Myungsoo asks, anxiously tapping his pencil on his black notebook. "Yeah, but..."

"But?"

I survey my left, then my right. Everyone is busily discussing with their partners. Even the teacher has left for a coffee break. Oh god, I'm crazy. Stop before you've really lost it! My head demands, but my hearts pull is stronger. I take once last note of the room, and stand up. I grab Myungsoo's hand, and run. It's been a while since we were alone. Since I truly felt the exhileration of his presence, his heart that seemed to beat in time with mine. He tumbles behind me, and I drag him along. I run and run until I can't run anymore, and collapse in a soccer field aways from the school building. He collapses next to me. "Are you crazy?" He pants.

Then he laughs. First just breathing the air a little harder, then a little louder, then he tosses his head back and fills the air. I join him. Our laughter resounds off the open air, filling my heart, filling my mind, with thoughts of him. "In between cracks of sunlight," I sing, the music rolling off my tongue like instinct, "in between the flowing white clouds," I reach my hand up and close it on a cloud. The wind races across my fingertips and tousles my hair, "In between the blowing wind," He sits up and looks down at me, the sunlight surrounds him like an angel, and I smile, "You shine."

--------------

Yes, I know that the song that JJ and L 'write' is last summer AKA in the summer. I really thought it suited the situation so yeah! enjoy it!

SUBSCRIBE PLEAAASE