Chapter 11-Sunflower

Stumbled On You

Myungsoo leads me down back alleyways and sidesreets. "Can't we just take a cab?" I beg.

"Too risky," he retorts. 

At last he stops proudly in front of a large building, meanwhile I'm hacking my guts out from being so tired. "C'mon," he takes my hand, and we walk inside together. The building is filled with strange sets, some like fake buildings, others like displays of artwork. "Is this a music video recording studio?" I ask, as I hear a popular song by Girl's Generation blasting at the nearest fake-building. 

"Kind of yes, kind of no," Myungsoo replies. A person with dress rack walks by us, he pulls a dress from the rack and holds it up to me, "Hmm...Green isn't your color."

"Hey!" I shout, he smiles. We arrive at a small fake room. The setting is a bike against a wall with a stone path. The bike looks exactly like mine that was destroyed. "Why are we here?" I ask for the thousandth time.

"To prove our relationship." 

"What?"

Myungsoo walks away to greet the photographer. I scratch the back of my neck and look around. Clothing racks line the scene, large white umbrellas are set up for the best lighting. Myungsoo trots over, grabs my head, and leads me back to the photographer. "This is her?" he asks, camera in hand. "yes, this is her," Myungsoo replies. "Hm. Pretty," he says, looking me up and down, "Now get her to the dressing rooms."

Myungsoo points to a closed in booth with a curtain. "Choose what close you like from here," he motions to the clothes rack, "then go in there and change."

"Why are we taking pictures together?" I demand, grabbing his wrist to stop him from leaving. "Why not?" He smiles, and flips his hand around to grab my wrist. He squeezes it briefly, and darts off in the other direction. At least he's consistent, always doing what he wants. 

I take in the dresses on the curtain, all are very pretty. A girl walks by, her long dip-dyed hair carries a strong scent of lavender. She walks gracefully despite her 6 inch heels. She stops by Myungsoo, and taps him on the shoulder. He smiles back and they talk a minute before she bows and waves goodbye. This is the type of girls Myungsoo is surrounded by, I remind myself. In comparison, my disheveled hair and dusty uniform are less than adequate. "I'm really not suited for this sort of thing..." I mumble to myself, pulling all my hair over one shoulder. "But," I try to look on the bright side, and a smile spreads on my face, "If i was..." I run my fingers over the tops of hangers, then dip in and grab one. Before Myungsoo has time to look over, I duck into the dressing room and get changed. 

 

I come out shyly, the dress I chose is definitely not that for a casual evening. It's more suited for a fashion show or a red carpet. It's a dark turqouise, patterned with purple swirls and peacock looking shapes. The torso is a tank top that went down to just beneath my s before falling into an elegant skirt. The front of the skirt goes down only to above my knees, while the back sinks to my ankles. I stumble a little in a troublesome pair of black high heels, but then gain my footing.

Myungsoo looks up and sees me, his face spreading widly into a smile. "Wow, are you shooting a movie or something?" he trots over and instantly takes my hand. Despite these beautiful clothes, I still feel unworthy. Looking at his perfect smile, at the twinkle in his brown eyes, feeling the softness of his hands, I want to be with him, but a part of me always feels small. If he is the sun, then I am a sun flower. A sunflower longs for and thrives on the warmth of the sun, but even a sunflower can dry up when it gets too hot. 

"What are you waiting for?" Myungsoo's voice breaks through my thoughts. "Shall we go?" 

I nod shyly and he leads me to our fake scene. He helps me onto the bicycle, and smiles while the camera snaps. Once again I feel not good enough. He smiles and poses perfectly for the camera, but all I can do is stare at him. Myungsoo notices me staring and smiles even wider. He kisses me, and the camera snaps. The crew whistles and shouts. By the time he pulls away, I'm as red as a tomato. "Myungsoo!" I whisper harshly and slap his arm. He just laughs. 

 

-----

THAT NIGHT
 

I hold the photos in my hand. A boy smiles playfully next to a girl in a beautiful dress. The scene looks like it came out of a movie. I pull the top picture off the pile slowly, revealing our kiss. Myungsoo's jawline is shown clearly as he stretches his neck to kiss me on top of the bike. My eyes are wide and my cheeks are red. In the next picture, he's laughing and I'm raising my hand to hit his arm. I fall back on to my bed and hold the pictures in the air above me. A thought sparks in my mind and I sit up. I grab my guitar off of its stand and begin to strum. 

By the end of the night, I've written a song. 

"Will the rain that falls on our love ever stop?

You rise far above in the sky and I'm just on the lowly ground. 

But still, I was happy. 

The sunlight that you shown on me,

the fact that I could soak it in,

the fact that I could look at you.

I am only looking at the sun
But the clouds next to it keep pouring down rain
Drenching my entire body

I wither and it's hard to look at you,

I probably need to wait all four seasons,

day by day, to see you again

Flower, please grow, flower, please grow more.

Please grow more so I can see you up close."

The title is 'Sunflower'.

After writing it, I tuck the paper under my mattress. Myungsoo can never see this. If he saw it, it would upset him. No, he wouldn't be angry with me, he'd be angry with himself. He would hate his own wonderfulness, cry over my hurting. He's just that good of a person. Why does he not see that in my eyes he can do nothing wrong?

-----

I wake up and brush my hair. Newspaper articles concering L's broadcasted confession are beginning to dwindle, but the trouble is no where near over. I can sense it. Today, something is wrong. The entire walk to school I shiver. The cold is bearable, but the sinking feeling of danger nips at my feet. I can't shake it. Myungsoo leans on the school gate, his long legs crossed elegantly. Upon seeing me he runs over and takes me in his arms. 

"H-hey! What's going on?" I demand, trying to pull him off. Stubbornly, he clings to me. He lifts me in the air and looks into my eyes. "Why are you being so weird!" I shout, my stomach fluttering with terror. Something is definitely wrong. "Let's skip school," Myungsoo says, setting me down, giving me the biggest puppy eyes. "Do you have a fatal disease or something?" I ask, "Why are you acting like you're going somewhere?"

"I'm not going anywhere," Myungsoo assures me. "I just...want to be with you." 

His honesty heats up my cheeks. If only I could be that sure of myself. So I go with him. What can I do? I take his hand, and go with him. Wherever he leads me, I would follow. We hop in the nearest cab and drive to the heart of the city. We walk around Myeongdong hand in hand. People gather around us taking pictures, whispering and pointing. Myungsoo smiles as if they aren't even there. Soon, I forget about them too. We window shop together, and take selcas in strange hats and sunglasses, leaving the rest of the world out. After a while, a girl who'd been following us approaches. She's slightly younger than me, but not possibly by much. "L-oppa! You can't do this!" 

Myungsoo's smile drops. "This girl will bring you down! You'll lose fans!" the girl stomps her feet like a child in a temper tantrum. I lower my head and release a silent sigh. "She never did anything wrong," Myungsoo transforms into charismatic L, and stands a little taller. "I love my fans just as much as I did before, and I hope you all still support me," he yells it to the crowd now. 'But," he turns to me, "I also like this girl, and I have no intention of breaking up with her."

The girl screams in frustration and storms through the crowd. It seems like he deserves an applause, in a movie the audience would have clapped and praised him for standing up for his love, but the people gathered like cattle are silent. Without hesitation, L grabs my hand and pulls me in. Girls shriek with jealousy. "Myu-Myungsoo this is a bad idea, in front of all these people..." I whisper in his ear, pressing against his chest to release me. 

"I'm sorry," His voice is muffled by my coat, but his words are audible enough. Something is wrong. He pulls back and kisses me. It's not the first time I've kissed him. Since I've met him we've kissed at least 4 times, if not more. It seems it's become a regular thing. Yet, somehow this one feels different. Bittersweet and soft. I can smell rain on the air, feel the softness of his lips, the warmth of my hands on his chest. Despite the furious screams from the crowd, the roaring of cameras snapping, and fans just breaking down, it feels like we're the only people in the world. I run my arms up his chest, wrap them around his neck, and pull him closer. He presses back, kissing me like he's never been kissed before, and he'll never  be kissed again. Everything feels sad. Even his touch feels pained, filled with longing, and I wish I knew why. 

After what seems like eternity, but not long enough, Myungsoo pulls away. He instantly burrows his head in my shoulder, and squeezes me. Slightly breathless, I whisper in his ear, "What's going on, why are you sorry?"

"Infinite and I..." He squeezes me again, "We're going to Japan."

The instrinct from the beginning of the day rushes back. I don't want to know, I don't want to say the words. Whatever it is, don't tell me. Even with this icey wave of fear washing over me, I still ask. 

"How long?"

He squeezes me and doesn't let go, I feel his hair brush against my cheek. Quietly, with shakey breaths, he whispers..

"A year."

-----

Oh my gosh sorry it's super duper short and totally rushed! Also sorry for the late update! I've been meaning to do it, but a friend visited for a week and I didn't have time. Before that I just didn't have any good ideas. Hopefully after this I will work harder and manage to finish this story before summer! The song 'Sunflower' is actually from Dream High 2 and is performed (i dont know if it's written) by Kim Ji soo. I just used the translation because it fit the scene. Please subscribe and check out my other story, Spies and I!