Chapter 3-Falling Slowly

Stumbled On You

A week at school has passed. The hard work has become strenuous, and difficult to understand with my American education. Of course, the elective classes are wonderful. Especially music composition, and voice training.  Myungsoo is in my composition class, but he hardly talks. Just sits there and looks like he's paying attention. Today in composition class, Teacher calls up a pro. Lin Lai-xi, the chinese main vocalist of hit group TYPO, sings "Only One" by Boa, and plays piano. It's beautiful, and makes me wish I was half as talented as her.

Of course, the person herself is beautiful: fair skin, loosely wavy hair. She practically glows with youthful beauty. After her performance, she sits down, taking the open seat beside me.

"Wow! That was amazing!" I whisper, giving her a thumbs-up. "I know," She says with an arrogant smile.

"L-Sunbae, how did I do?" she says, grabbing Myungsoo's arm. He pays her no mind, and looks straight ahead.

I kinda like this kid, I think for once.

After class I run over to him, and wrap myself around his arm, immitating Lai-Xi. "Myungsoo!" I shout, he glares at me.

"It's lunch now, let's go together!" I say, smiling as pleadingly as I can. He pulls his arm away, and saunters off, ignoring me.

Sungjong is as cheerful as ever, telling me about his day, and many other days. He's become my little drop of sunshine after a difficult week.

"Sungjong," I interrupt him in the middle of his story, and he looks up from his food.
"Yeah?"

"I gotta go somewhere," I tell him, and stand up. He just watches me leave, shrugs, and goes back to his food.

I walk down the seemingly endless maze of hallways. With a notebook in my hand, I map out the school.

Class-C, Class-D, Class-E....I count out the classrooms in my mind, and mark them on my map. Then, I hear music playing. Somewhere, a guitar is beckoning me. Its sweet, plucking melody fills my ears and instinctively, I follow it. Down one winding white corridor into another, until I reach some abandoned storage room somewhere, long since forgotten even by the janitor. I call tell from the spider webs draped in the window corners.

The song has become more and more familiar the louder it grows. Falling Slowly, by Glen Hansard. I walk in, closing my eyes, humming the melody.

The stranger reaches the chorus, and I sing.

"Take this sinking boat, and point it home, we've still got time...Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you've made it now~"

Abruptly, the guitar stops. I open my eyes. Myungsoo looks up from his guitar.

"Myungsoo?" I ask, confused. "You were in here all along?"

He just stares at me with wide eyes, unmoving, his expression unchanging.

"I-I know the piano accompaniment..." I stutter, my eyes darting to find the piano. I rush over and sit down. Myungsoo still watches me from his place, holding the guitar. I start to play the piano. My fingers move automatically, and I sway to the rythm. The notes flash before my eyes and transfer to my fingers.

If there's any place I have memorized, it's the piano keys. Each one has a seperate feeling, each one it's own individual sound. Depending on which one you hit, it could change the entire meaning. Outside my deep thoughts I hear strumming. Myungsoo has joined in.

"I don't know you but I want you, all the more...for that..." Myungsoo sings, his voice soft as a pillow, sweet as honey.

"Words fall through me, and always fool me, and I can't....react." I sing along.

The bell rings, and our duet is cut short. My eyes blink open when I hear the bell, but L's disappeared. Only his lonely guitar is left in his wake.

"Where'd he go....?" I swivel my head around, but he's gone. "AH! class!!" I jump out of my seat at the piano and run for it. I barely make it to biology on time. Well, actually, I didn't make it on time. I tear open the door and stand panting in the doorway. Teacher flashes me an angry glance, but turns back to the class with a perfectly sophisticated smile.

"Alright class! Time to choose partners for the biology project! Now remember, this project will take a while, so you'll need your partners contact information, and may have to work on it at home," the whole class groans, a few people collapse on their desks. A biology project is never enjoyable. Teacher looks at me, then flicks her head toward my seat, her eyebrows raised. "O-Oh! Yes!" I run to my seat, bowing as I go, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

"Partners will be chosen at random," teacher continues, dramatically flipping her hair as she turns to grab a velvet top hat. "All the students names are in this. I will choose two papers from this hat, read them off, and that will be your partner."

The entire class grows quiet as Teacher shuffles around in the hat. Friends pray to be partnered, girls pray to be partnered with their crush.

The whole school seems to hold it's breath as Teacher delicately raises the first two paper slips.

"Hyun Jae Hwa," she announces, "Partner: Kim Myungsoo."

------------------------------------------------------

Hello all! Just a sidenote here....Lin Lai-Xi and TYPO are not real people! Strictly fictional...so don't try to look them up...

Oh and subscribe and I'll love you forever!

...Carry on.