Chapter 5

With All My Heart

 

"So you can dance, sing, and rap?" Dongwoo asked, walking with Hoya out of the school.

Hoya chuckled, adjusting the strap of his backpack over his shoulder before nodding. "Yeah."

Dongwoo smirked, "Two things we have in common then, hm?"

 

After school, Woohyun was determined on working on more of the project, so he and Sangchul had went straight to his and Hoya's apartment after school had ended. Hoya had wanted to work more on the assignment also, so he had asked Dongwoo if he could go to his house after, and to his surprise, he had said yes (well, more like a "yeah, sure, whatever", but still a yes either way).

As they continued walking towards Dongwoo's house, the two had maintained light conversation, mostly about their newfound similarities. Things like "So when did you start dancing?" and "What kind of music do you like?" and "What made you want to become an idol?" were asked throughout their walk, and when they had reached the house, they did their usual routine; Hoya heading to the room while Dongwoo grabbed a can of soda and a bottle of water.

Hoya began his work as Dongwoo threw himself on his bed, taking out his phone and scrolling through boredly. The silence was broken when Dongwoo's phone rang suddenly, earning a groan from Dongwoo when he saw who was calling him. Hoya turned interestedly to the other as Dongwoo answered the call, greeting the other person on the line with an ever so uninterested "What."

The voice on the other line was quite high-pitched from what Hoya could possibly hear, and although he thought it was rude to eavesdrop, he couldn't really help it.

"Oppa~ Where are you?"

"Out." Dongwoo replied in the same monotone voice.

"But oppa, you said we could meet up today."

"Well something came up."

"But I thought-"

"Look, we can do it some other time, 'kay babe? You can wait for me, right?"

The other line remained quiet for a moment before there was a long sigh. "Fine. But when we have it better be amazing or else-"

Whoa, okay, that's enough. Hoya quickly turned back and fumbled for his pencil, silently hoping that he had misheard and instead shifted his mind to focus intently on the problems in front of him. Hoya mentally rolled his eyes, remembering that this is the Dongwoo he knew before yesterday when he had spilled his whole backstory, and although he had that kind of past, he reminded himself that this is still the same old Dongwoo.

"Alright, bye." The other let out a heavy breath and dropped his phone to his side, shutting his eyes as he rubbed the side of his forehead.

"Wow, the almighty Dongwoo turned down ?" Hoya teased with a smirk across his face. "She's been bugging me since this morning," he groaned again.

"She's way too damn annoying. I'm just trying to keep her away for as long as I can." Hoya scoffed at how ridiculous the other was being, realizing that was the reason why Dongwoo had agreed on letting him come over right after school, just so he could get away, but then again, he knew Dongwoo had to keep his playboy reputation.

"What, were you eavesdropping?" Dongwoo suddenly asked, lifting his head and in response Hoya only stayed silent, knowing that his teasing had backfired.

"Umm... I- I wasn't- I didn't mean to- umm..." A hint of red flushed his cheeks as words jumbled in his mouth, and he felt that he needed desperately to change the subject. "You should, uh, help you know."

As soon as the words left his mouth, Hoya had mentally facepalmed himself, realizing how random it sounded, not to mention how ridiculous it was to even suggest Jang Dongwoo to help him.

"What?"

"Um, help. Like, with this project." Hoya suggested further, thinking that it's possibly worth a shot.

"Why?"

This time, Hoya rolled his eyes for Dongwoo to see. "Because we only have like, what, a week and a half to finish this whole damn thing and it's really not helping when I'm the only one working on it, especially when I have other classwork to do. Or can you not handle it?" Hoya had no idea where the sudden bravery came up to actually say those things, and he looked at interestedly at Dongwoo, who only smirked and chuckled slightly.

"Not handle it? You're kidding right?"

"Oh come on, you never do your work and get F's on practically every assignment. Am I wrong?" Hoya took the overcoming silence as an answer and turned back to his work of math problems that he had to do for other homework. His pencil stayed still as Hoya read over the problems thoroughly, but math was his weak point and he couldn't seem to understand the questions. The mess of numbers scrawled on the paper and the wrong calculations he had done were all crossed out from before, and yet his page still lacked the answers to the problems.

He was apparently too focused on his work to notice that Dongwoo had appeared next to him, and the nudge on his shoulder brought him back to his senses.

"Move aside." The look Dongwoo was giving him practically bore holes into his face, his expression blank but hard and almost cold, and Hoya could only believe that it was because of what he said. Maybe he just shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

"Uh..."

"Get out of the chair."

Hoya cautiously obeyed and got up from his seat, only for Dongwoo to take his place. He picked up the pencil and scanned through the problems on his page, and Hoya could only stand puzzled next to him wondering what in the hell he's doing to his work as the other started writing. After about 5 minutes, Dongwoo dropped the pencil against the desk and got up from the chair, plopping back down on the bed without a word.

Hoya quietly sat back down and inspected his paper, now finding that all of the problems were answered. Hoya looked through Dongwoo's written calculations and answers, turning to the answer key in the back of his math textbook to find that they were all correct, and he could only stare at the page in awe. 

"But... how did you-" 

"What, you think two top business owners would let their son have a brain the size of a peanut?" He scoffed. "My parents wouldn't even let me rest some days when I was growing up just to study. They had me sit in front of books instead of toys and spend time with other business owners learning the company instead of hanging with friends."

Hoya was silent for a minute before he finally spoke up. "I'm... I'm sorry I misjudged you."

Dongwoo let out a deep sigh. "No, it's alright. I guess it's my fault too. Apparently having a reputation like this means that I'm lazy and stupid."

Hoya nodded quietly, tracing over the numbers Dongwoo had written. "Aren't you tired?" he suddenly asked.

Dongwoo raised an eyebrow. "Tired?"

"Yeah, like, aren't you tired of having people think of you like that? I mean, what does having that kind of reputation mean to you when all you're doing is failing-"

"Rebellion."

"What?" Hoya blinked and stared curiously at the other.

"You heard me. I'm doing this because of rebellion, against my parents."

"Your parents?" Hoya cringed a bit; talk of parents was never really an interest in his conversations, and to hear from Dongwoo that it was an act of rebellion against them made him frown slightly. Why can't Dongwoo just be grateful that he had parents who cared about him?

"Rebellion is stupid." Hoya put out flatly.

"I don't think you understand," Dongwoo gave a bitter smile, tightening his hand into a fist. "Instead of raising me like a normal child who plays with toys and goes outside," his voice started to raise slightly, "I was locked in my father's study learning business!"  

"But you can't just let it go to waste! I'd only wished to have the smarts that you have, and yet the only person that has them throws them away. Okay, I admit, you shouldn't have been growing up that way. But rebellion? Is that worth having your life suffer in the future? We're still in school, Dongwoo. We'll have freedom when we're older."

"School? Is that all you can think about?" He retorted. "Seriously, all you think about is work and grades and-"

Hoya slammed his fist against the desk. "I just want to make my parents proud of me!"

Dongwoo immediately shut his mouth.

"It's all I have left," Hoya continued quietly. "School is all I have left to show them that I'm worth something. That's why I work so hard. That's why I can't risk anything. That's why I didn't care if you helped with this stupid project or not, I just want to get this done. I just want to finish everything and show my parents that I'm not a failure."

The room was silent for a moment, the heavy feeling in the air hanging low.

"I'm... I'm sor-"

"I have to go. See you tomorrow." Hoya quickly packed up his belongings and left without another word.

 

a/n: (first off i'm sorry if there's any mistakes or the font maybe looks weird or something, i'm using the mobile site.) wow ok so after almost two months of not updating this fic i finally update with a crappy chapter =_= i apologize for the wait, i was super busy during the end of march and when april came around i suddenly had more wooya feels and made tWO MORE FICS INSTEAD OF UPDATING OTL. oh well, 'til next update! i love you all!

and please check out my new wooya fics? ^^ (by the way, i also made another wooya fic but i still have to post it, so if you could, please hit the "Subscribe to Author" button if you haven't already. thank you!)

Still I Miss You // Hoya forgets everything. Including Nam Woohyun.

When I See You // Howon is five years old when he meets Woohyun for the first time.