Fireworks

The place where I belong

 

Kevin:

“5….4…3…2…1…Happy new year!!” everyone yells. The room is filled with laughter. Everyone stands up and wishes the person next to them a happy new year. I look at Hyunae, she’s hugging Chohee. She glances my way. A bright smile comes to her face as our eyes meet. She and Chohee lets go of the hug and Chohee bounces towards AJ, who already starts blushing and smiling at Chohee. And he’s still saying he doesn’t like her? Liar! I look back at Hyunae. She’s now standing right in front of me, looking at me, her hands shyly behind her back.

“Happy new year, Kevin” she says.

“Happy new year” I say and I pull her into a hug. She softly hugs me back.

“Lets make a lot of fun memories next year, kay?” she says as we let go of the hug. I nod enthusiastic.

“Of course!” I say. She giggles and runs off to wish the rest a happy new year. Dongho bounces towards her and hugs her tightly. I know it’s just Dongho’s way of getting along with friends, but I can’t help but getting a little jealous.

“Binnie!!” I  hear Kiseop say behind me. I turn around and get hugged by him.

“Let’s go for another great year!” he says. I nod.

“And don’t forget to regularly update me on your progress with your princess” he says teasingly and winks.

“Kiseop!” I say, slightly blushing. He pokes me.

“Oh, are we bullying our Binnie?” Eli asks: “I’m in!”

Everyone laughs. I blush more.

“Why just tease me?” I ask.

“You’re the one in love” Kiseop says, soft enough for Hyunae not to hear it.

“In that case, there’s someone else you can bully” I say. AJ gets a scared look on his face.

“I already said I didn’t like her like that’ he quickly says.

“No one said we were talking about you” Soohyun says with a smirk on his face. AJ gets slightly red. Everyone scares a little when a loud boom suddenly echoes through the house.

“Aah, it already started” Hyunae says.

“Oh, my, hurry up youth, get your jackets” ajumma says: “We’re going upstairs to the balcony to watch the fireworks.”

Everyone obeys her and goes to the hallway to get their jackets. Just when I’m about to follow Hoon upstairs, Hyunae grabs my hand and stops me.

“Follow me” she says. I follow her to the back door. She goes outside and I follow her. It’s dark, I have a hard time making out anything outside, so I just blindly follow Hyunae as she leads me to some stairs. Stairs that seem never-ending after a while. When we finally arrive at the top, you can see over almost all the nearby houses. The view is spectacular.

“Woah, the view is even better than I thought it would be!” Hyunae says happily. I look at her.

“It sure is beautiful” I say.

“Ah, you don’t mind, do you?” she says with a worried face: “I kind of dragged you away from the rest without asking, I’m sorry.”

I shake my head.

“It’s ok, I don’t mind at all”  I say. We both look at the beautiful figures created by the big fireballs shot at the sky.

“Ah” Hyunae suddenly says when she notices she still holding my hand. She’s about to pull back her hand, but I tighten the grip on her hand so she can’t. I’m not looking at her, but I feel her surprised look. Except for the fireworks, there’s not much light here. I’m somewhat thankful for that. This way, she won’t see how red my face has gotten. The fireworks are really beautiful, but still I can’t help myself but look at Hyunae. Her happy face get light up by the irregular light flashes of the fireworks.

“Woah, did you see that?” she asks me. She turns her head and looks at me while pointing at the sky. Our eyes meet and I nod.

“Euhm, yes, it sure was pretty” I lie. I didn’t see it at all. But what should I have told her? Oh, I didn’t see it cause I was too busy looking at your face. Phabo, no way I could say something like that. I look at her again and notice she’s shivering. It’s pretty cold outside. I take a deep breath.

“Ok, Kev, time to play the gentleman” I think and let go of her hand. I my jacket and wrap it around her shoulders. She looks up at me when I do, she was to absorbed by the fireworks that she only noticed me now.

“Ah, Kevin. It’s not necessary. Won’t you be cold now?” she asks worried. I shake my head.

“I’m ok” I tell her: “you’re the one who’s shivering.”

“But, but what if you get sick or anything? Your voice?” she asks.

“It’s ok, I’m hot enough” I tell her. It was only after I said this I noticed you could take that both ways. What I meant was that I’m warm enough. She chuckles cutely.

“That’s true, you’re hot enough. But I still wouldn’t want you to catch a cold” she says. She starts taking the jacket from her shoulders but before she can completely rid her of my jacket, I put it back on her shoulders and wrap my arms around her to secure the jackets position.

“Let me be the gentleman for once” I say pressing her back tightly against my chest. There’s not reaction for a while, but after a bit, she shyly nods.

“Phabo” she says. I’m surprised as I feel her hand reach for my arm that’s around her middle. She softly grabs my arm.

“Thank you, Kevin” she says in English. I feel my face heat up again. Her sent, her touch, having her near me, it feels nice. The side of my head slightly touches hers. I’m happy, just being like this. I wouldn’t mind staying like this forever.

But it didn’t last forever. After a while, the fireworks stopped and we decided to go back inside. Ajumma and Ajussi decided to go to bed, we stayed up a bit longer. It was just passed midnight, so we thought it would be a shame to go to sleep this early. After a while, I went to the bathroom, like many had done before me. While going back to the living room, I pas the kitchen.

“It’s not that I don’t like Kevin” I hear a voice say. It’s not my intention to eavesdrop, but after hearing my name, I automatically listen.

“It’s just that I don’t know if I can see him any different than a star. Well, you can’t blame me, it’s been like that for a long time” the voice continues. It’s Hyunae. I’m standing there, frozen like some kind of ice statue. Before I was thinking how good were things were going between us. I was finally starting to accept I like her, and now this? She can’t see me as a guy, but only as a idol she admires. My eyes are getting a little teary. Before I can hear more, Dongho poppes out of the living room. He smiles brightly as he sees me.

“I have to go too” he says. I nod.

“Oy, Hyung, you ok?” he asks. He clearly saw my slightly wet eyes. I nod again.

“I hurt my toe just now, nothing is wrong” I lie. He nods as confirmation and walks to the bathroom. Without listening anymore I walk to the living room. As I enter the living room, I put up a fake smile. I can’t make them worried, so I smile.

 

 

AN: Hii guys, sorry that it's this late again that i upload. I just had no inspiration for writing anything.  But i had a loooong good thougt about it >:3 Sorry, i might not be able to update daily, but i'll try to update as much as i can, kay? ^w^ 

Enjoy :3