Chapter 8

I will try for your love

I'm backkkkk~~~~

Sorry so much if I made you guys wait T^T

But teachers just had to keep shoving me assignments and projects T___T and my final exams are coming too... T^T

But I've tried my best to write this one, to celebrate our beloved BTOB's comeback <3333

Please cheer for our boys :D and I hope they'll do great during the promotion of "Second confession" ^^

 


Words in italic are thought and thinking.

 


 

"Yah yah! Sungjae! Wake up!"

As soon as the yell was escaped from the cell phone's speaker, Sungjae immediately wrinkles, still half-awake.

"Hyung. My ears hurt. How could a rapper like you could generate such high-pitched, feminine shrieking voice?"

"Yah, brat! It's not exactly the right time to complain about my super deep and manly voice. Move your right now, or I will kick the door open, grab your girly pinky PJ's collar and slap the pretty face of yours until your doe eyes are freaking wide open!"

"Yeah right. Like the hell I would - wait, what? Kick my door?! Where the hell are you now, hyung?!", Sungjae forces his eyes to open, looking carefully around just in case his freaky ninja hyung is somewhere in his room.

"I'm standing at your front door. Oh and by the way, your scary snore could be heard all the way out hear, you know?". Ilhoon laughs out loud, clutching his stomach, not caring of Sungjae's neighbors looking at him weirdly.

"Yah hyung~". Ilhoon smiles stupidly as he could sense a pout forming on the younger's lips at the other end. Then some hasty footsteps are heard at the other side of the wooden door.

The door opens, and a messy bed head pops out, earning a chuckle from Ilhoon.

"Come in. Wait for me just a second. I'm getting ready. And would you mind if I ask you to make me a yummy breakfast?", Sungjae grins while looking at his hyung with his trying-to-make-an-eye-smile-but-fail-badly look.

"Yah you brat! Your amazingly nice hyung came to wake you up, and you greeted him by ordering him to make you brakfast?!"

"Yup. And hurry up or we'll be late for school", Sungjae hums, then grabs a toothbrush, keeping it in his mouth while reaching for the toothpaste.

"You are lucky that I love you". Ilhoon immediately widens his eyes and puts a hand over his mouth.

 

. Did I just say that out loud???

 

The older boy forces to say something in order to make up an excuse for what he just said. But before he could let anything escape from his mouth, a delicate body is pressed against his back, a pair of arms snakes around his waistline. And a whisper.

"I know, hyung. I love you too"

Then Sungjae laughs loudly, releases his grip around his hyung's waist and returns to his room. Not noticing the tremendous blushes on Ilhoon's cheeks.

 

.-.-.

 

Peniel is sitting in the kitchen, preparing himself a cup of hot mocha and toast for breakfast. He was looking aimlessly out the window, until he hears a loud thud next to him. Turns around, just to see his father standing there with a big box of coffee bean on the table.

"So, how was your yesterday?", his dad asks, without interrupting the process of making his coffee.

Apparently, he was having a dinner with some business partners until midnight, and Peniel was already in deep slumber when he came back.

And it would be a lie if he says that he didn't feel guilty of not caring for Peniel as much as the young boy deserves. He has been realizing this ever since Peniel left his home for Chicago, and he has never stopped hoping that one day, he could make up for the loss.

So here he is. Trying to have a normal dad-and-son conversation.

 

"Exhausted", Peniel sighs. "And is definitely not what I expected"

"What happened?", his dad looks up from the coffee cup, tries to make an eye contact with him.

"Nothing. It's just not what I had expected"

Peniel still gets his eyes glued to the scene outside, rather than answering his dad's request for an eye cotact. His dad lets out a small sigh, then continues with his coffee.

"Was it the language? It's ok if you don't understand some words. Just ask me, or the professors"

"No, it's not the language". Peniel finally looks at his dad, keeps on talking. "I just want to have a normal day"

Them he hurriedly gets up, makes his way out of the room, leaving an 'I'm off for school' behind. His dad sighs even deeper but just shrugs it off when Katrina comes and hugs him from behind, asking him whether he is alright.

 

.-.-.

 

It's 4:45 in the evening. And Ilhoon is walking happily along the hallway, talking non-stop to Minhyuk, who is far behind him at the moment. As he continues on his little chat, he hears a soft voice.

"Jung Ilhoon-sshi...?"

"Sshi??? Seriously, hyung??!", Ilhoon laughs while turning around to face Minhyuk. "What's wrong with you sometime?!"

 

Huh? It's not Minhyuk-hyung?

Ilhoon looks around to find his hyung, just to see a strange boy with chubby cheeks looking at him. What the hell? He was with me just a minute ago.

 

"Uhm...Hi. Well, this is awkward", the boy in front of him smiles shyly while scratching the nape of his neck. "I'm Changsub. Lee Changsub. Third year, a junior"

Then he gives out his hand. Ilhoon hesitantly takes it and flashes a confused smile to the chubby-cheeked boy.

"You already knew my name"

"Yeah"

Changsub smiles, not noticing the younger boy observing him carefully: from his cute, chubby cheeks to his scary black and red skateboard in his left hand, which doesn't suit the neat uniform he is wearing at all.

"Uhm. So...What's up...?"

Changsub flashes the younger a warm smile. "I was assigned to tutor you Science"

"Huh?! What?! Tutor?! Me?!"

Ilhoon looks at the older boy, widens his eyes in shock. WTF??? When the hell did I sign up for being tutored???

"Yeah. Your counselor actually asked me to tutor you the subject, since he thought that you could use some help"

 

What the hell?! Seriously?!

Is this guy freaking kidding me right now?!

 

"Ilhoon-hyung!"

He turns to the direction where the voice came from, eyes soften a bit when he sees the sight in front of him.

A 180-centimeter-tall boy running towards him, waving his hands. But suddenly stops in the middle of the hallway when he sees Ilhoon standing with somebody else. He looks at the stranger with curiosity, but due to his cheerful and friendly personality, Sungjae quickly shrugs it off, and makes his way to the two older.

"Hi! I'm Sungjae. Yook Sungjae. Nice to meet you", he bows, then smiles to the stranger.

"Oh! You must be the one who earns yourself scholarship to this school. My professor has always been talking about you", Changsub also smiles back. "I'm Lee Changsub, and was assigned to tutor Ilhoon-sshi Science"

"Oh thanks God! I've always been struggling in teaching him that!"

Sungjae lets out a loud relieved sigh, making Changsub chuckles. While Ilhoon looks at them with an annoyed expression.

 

Great. Saying bad stuffs about me right in front of my face. Definitely what a good friend would do.

And why are they acting like they are close friends?!

 

Changsub suddenly speaks up, breaking the younger boy's thoughts.

"If you don't mind, Sungjae, I'll be stealing Ilhoon-sshi for a moment. I need to know how much he is lacking in the subject"

Sungjae smiles and nods to show his approval, then turns to his hyung.

"Have fun hyung. And don't make it hard for Changsub-sshi!"

Me?! Making it hard for him?! Please. Have you seen his super scary skateboard???

 

But Ilhoon nods anyway, then quietly follow the older boy, while Changsub starts asking him questions of his study.

 

Guess I'll be going home alone today.

 

Then Sungjae starts walking towards his house, being absolutely oblivious of some eyes staring intensely at him along the hallway.

 

.-.-.

 

Although school has been over for nearly an hour, somehow, Peniel just doesn't feel like going home straight away today. He starts to wander around the campus, without any specific reason. And some minutes later, he finds himself sitting at the big soccer field at the back of the university, looking aimlessly at the empty scenery.

Unconsciously, Peniel lets out a soft sigh. He has absolutely no idea what the cause of his sudden sadness is, also the reason why he is still at the university at this hour. Somehow, he just feels like staying here at the moment.

Sitting on the grass all alone, his mind suddenly wanders back to the day he heard the familiar giggle outside his car.

Just that giggle, that one oddly familiar yet angelic sound from that day, has triggered every memory Peniel got of a specific young boy. It was the same sound that chirped a shy 'Thank you' when Peniel shield his body from the two guys' sight. The same sound that hastily said the cutest 'sorry's to him when they were awkwardly lying on the cold pavement.

 

Wait. Why am I smiling like a fool?

 

Peniel quickly adjusts his face, softly slaps his cheeks to snap himself out of the daydream. However, he fails badly as the question that he has been asking himself for a whole night appears in his mind again.

 

But how? How could Sungjae's voice was heard outside my car?

Maybe that kid goes to this school...

No way. He looks too young to be an undergraduate.

But his height says the exact opposite. Seriously, could a normal high-school student be that tall?

...

Nice, Shin Donggeun. Now you're mentally having a freaking conversation with yourself.

 

Peniel slaps himself again, though harder this time, then looks down to his watch. It's 5:30 and nobody is seen around the campus anymore, besides Peniel himself. Decides it's time to go back home, he slowly stands up, picks up the backpack that was sitting on the ground, then proceeds to the main gate. Keeps walking, he doesn't really take notice of his surrounding. Until he hears a deep voice.

 

"Yook Sungjae. I didn't expect a stone-broke nerd like you would attend such fancy- university like this"

 

.-.-.

 

Great Sungjae. You just can't keep yourself away from trouble.

 

Sungjae sits at the corner of the field helplessly, surrounded by three boys who look a tad older. And all of them are wearing a knowing smirk, slowly moving towards him.

"It's been a while since I last punch this girly face of yours, hasn't it?". One of them speaks up, earning a stream of laughter of the other two. And a trembling Sungjae on the ground.

"Haha. I see that you're still a girly nerd like you were during high school", another guy smirks, takes a step even closer to him. The young boy quickly does what his instinct tell him to do, lowers his face, keeps his eyes glued to the grass underneath his feet. But it wasn't long until the guy kneels down in front of him and forcefully tilts Sungjae's chin back, making the younger to look at him in the eyes. Then a smirk crosses his face, while his hand pulls Sungjae's face closer to his own.

"W-What...no...uhm...!"

Sungjae's eyes widen in fear as the boy keeps closing the distance between their face.

"Don't be scared. Either he will punch you right at that pretty face of yours, or he will kiss you". One of the other two guys laughs out loud. "And both are not that bad"

That last statement doesn't take long to send a chill down Sungjae's spine, making him tremble in fear.

 

Please please just let this be a dream. I'm just having a really bad nightmare. This is not real at all.

 

Sungjae shuts his eyes tightly, hoping with all his heart that this's just a nightmare. A nightmare where he unfortunately bumps into his high school bullies, and one of whom is trying to either punch him or kiss him.

But he couldn't lie to himself due to the coldness coming from the strange, hardened hand on his chin. All Sungjae could do now is to sit there and wait for whatever is going to happen. And at this right moment, there would be no stranger to save him.

 

Aish! Why am I even thinking of him during such situation like this?!

 

After giving himself a mental slap, Sungjae sits still, clenching his jaws tightly and wait for whatever is coming next. But nothing happens. No punch on the face, neither any kiss on his cheeks or lips. But he could hear a loud yell.

"What the actual ?!!"

 

Sungjae hurriedly opens his eyes, just to get shocked by the scene in front of him. The guy who was kneeling and touching him earlier, now is lying helplessly on the field, with blood dripping from the edge of his mouth. And the most shocking thing is the fact that his strangely-familiar stranger is sitting on top of the bully, angrily aiming another punch at his stomach. Earning some panic look from the other two.

As soon as he finished his punch, Peniel gets up, shots his cold gaze at the bullies who are helping their friend to get up from the ground. "I think it's time for you guys to go. And don't even think about touching Sungjae again"

Then he makes his way towards the younger boy who is sitting helplessly on the field, kneels down on one knee and asks with his cold, monotonous voice.

 

"Sungjae, are you okay?"