Chapter 17

99 Days

You wake up to the sound of your alarm and glance at the clock.  Frowning in confusion, you sit up and rub your eyes before reading the time again.

“3 o’clock in the morning? Wha—“

“Yo,”

You freeze at the familiar, cold voice and look away from the figure by your window.  “What do you want, Tao?”

“Why the sour face, Aeri?” He chuckles and you resist the urge to throw your phone at his face. 

“Are you here to take away my time again?”

“Well, yes, but—“

“What, really?” You lift up your head and find his eyes, regretting it immediately because you find your self unable to move and unable to speak.

“I know, I know, I took it before, my dear,” He sits by your bed and caresses your cheek with his hand, trailing his fingers down your collarbone and onto Luhan’s necklace.  “And you have such a noble purpose too,” He smiles apologetically and takes his hands away from you.  “But 10 days will be enough.  In exchange for the time I’m taking away, I’ll take away your pain too, so don’t worry, Aeri, sleep tight and I’l be here all night,”

And in that second, you sleep without pain.

When you wake up to your real alarm, the first thing you want to do is cry.  You want to cry so bad you had to bite your own lip to stop yourself until it bled. 

But crying is a waste of time.  Enough with the tears. 

You glance at the date and confirm the fact that it’s Kai’s birthday.  You leave your apartment as quietly as possible and run towards that shoe store you’ve always liked. You know well how much that kid loves dancing so you pick out the shoe that had his favorite colors and the ones that were most comfortable.  You choose his size and wrap the box.  “Thank you,” You grin at the counter happily. 

“For your boyfriend?” She asks.

“Nah, my best friend,” You chuckle and leave the shop, running back home.  Tao was keeping his promise.  You felt no pain even though you were wheezing by the time you got back.

“Aeri!!”

You jump at the sound of your name and look at the three’s worried faces.

Kyungsoo starts, “We thought—“

“You were—your windows were open and—“ Lay gapes.

“Man, where have you been?” Kai trots over to you.

“Just somewhere,” You grin.  “Stop worrying, guys and happy birthday, Kai,”

His eyes widen at the box in your hand and he grinned like a fool.  “How did you know?”

“Just, somehow,” You shrug, winking at him and dropping onto the couch with a huge, happy sigh.  “I’m feeling good today!” You turn towards the three and grin.  “Hey, it’s a weekend, right? Let’s go catch a movie or something! Let’s celebrate your birthday, Kai! Let’s go out and have fun, the four of us!”

The three stares at each other and then at you.  “You’re supposed to be sick,” Kyungsoo frowns.

“And yet you’re already running around in the morning and wheezing and asking all of us out,” Lay shakes his head with a chuckle.  “Guess you’re all better now,”

“I love the shoes!! Aeri, you’re my angel! A goddess! The best!” Kai hops around on one foot trying to put on his new shoes.  “It’s a perfect fit!” He grins and throws his moves all around the room, running towards you and wrapping his arms around you and lifting you up, spinning you around in the air, making the both of you laugh delightedly.  “And here I was, stumped that I can’t be dancing because I ruined my previous shoes.  You’re the best.  Thanks, Aeri,”

“You’re welcome,” You smile fondly down at his face and pat his cheek as he sets you down.  “So,” You grin.  “Ready for today?”

You come out of your room dressed in flower printed pants and a white, sleeveless blouse, topping it off with a cream colored cardigan that goes along with your flats.  You tie your hair up into a ponytail and trot outside the apartment.  Your phone rings and you look at it, seeing that the three are already waiting downstairs.  They went home and got changed first.  Didn’t take long, because their houses weren’t far.

“Oh, blinding,” You step back as you face the three, bathed and in fashionable clothes that looked so effortless.

They chuckle and fall into stride beside you, Lay naturally taking your side and Kai and Kyungsoo walking behind the two of you.

“Hey, you don’t look so bad either,” He compliments.

You flip your hair playfully and evoke laughter from Lay, who was practically shining.  To you, maybe. 

Man, it kills you how you only have 10 days left.

Breakfast, ice cream, amusement park, lunch, bubble tea and finally the local playground.  You watch as Kyungsoo and Kai fool around with the kids, the parents laughing along as their children seemed to have a lot of fun with the two. 

Lay chuckles beside you and you unconsciously find yourself leaning onto his shoulder.  It was so comfortable, such a fitting place. 

“Jihye-yah, you-“

You flinch.  You sit up straight and stare at him incredulously.  “What?”

“Wha-“ He blinks and shakes his head apologetically.  “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I mistook you for my girlfriend,” Lay says, then corrects himself.  “My ex-girlfriend, I meant,”

At the words, a sharp pain stabs your heart.  Ex-girlfriend.  That’s right, you were the one who broke up with him.  You were the one who ended the relationship, so why are you in so much pain right now?

“Nah, it’s okay, I was just surprised,” You chuckle.

He chuckles along and his eyes linger at your face for quite a while, then trails its way down your neck and onto the necklace hanging on it.  “Hey, is it just me, or-“

At that time, Kai and Kyungsoo comes approaching.  You grin at the two and pretend as if you didn’t hear or notice Lay’s strange gaze towards Luhan’s necklace.

“Shall we walk Aeri home?” Kai grins at the two.

“Wha-“ You step back.  “Of course not,” You flap our hands dismissively.  “I’m walking home by myself, you three, go home,” You wave, turning at your heels.

You didn’t have the time to dodge Kyungsoo’s and Kai’s arms that fell across each side of your shoulder, the two looking at your face very closely.  “Really?” Kyungsoo smirks.

“You’d really think we’ll let you walk home by yourself?” Kai smirks as well, fist-bumping the older guy.

Lay steps in front of you and flicks you on the forehead.  “We’re not leaving you alone, ever, after what happened,”

The three cackled, evil genius style, and walked you home, just like that.

By the time you’re home, even after you’ve taken a bath, the three still texts you, asking whether or not you were feeling well, okay, and need some help.

“Ya, don’t forget that I’m your age, guys,” You send them a voice note and chuckle at their responses.

As you step outside to your veranda, Luhan’s necklace clacks gently against your collarbone, reminding you about the time you have left in this world.  Clutching tightly at the railing until your knuckles turn white, you in a breath through your teeth and swallow that scream clawing up your throat.

You unlock the screen of your phone and dial the second most recent number on your log.

“Hey, Kai, can you come meet me by the playground again? There’s something I need to say,”

 

 

FINALLY AN UPDATE HI GUYS

I AM SUCH A NOT-DILIGENT WRITER 

I KNOW YOU HATE ME :'(

BUT BEAR WITH IT PLEASE :'(

BECAUSE I REFUSE TO LET ANY OF YOU GO :'(

PLEASE DON'T HATE ME THOUGH :'(

I HOPE YOU LIKE THE UPDATE :'(