Sad Truth

Too Sudden To Be True

 

“W-w-what did you s-say, Wookie?” Eunhyuk’s shocked voice filled the once dead quiet room. The phone that had once been in his hand was now lying on the floor. Donghae, who had also heard, watched him carefully, as if he would collapse any time soon. Eunhyuk shakily bent down to pick it up, almost dropping it again in the process.

“W-w-wookie…?” sobs could be heard through the speaker.

“I…I have cancer hyung. A-and Minnie hyung is d-d-d-dead.” Ryeowook choked out. The two of them did not move for a while, letting the news sink in. Cancer? Sungmin is dead…?

To be honest, they were not too surprised about Sungmin’s death. This was not his first attempt at killing himself. Ever since the disbandment, the two of them had been left to fend for themselves. Kangin had Leeteuk, who was still working at SME. Siwon became a model, while Kibum was acting. Heechul went to live with Hankyung in China, and they themselves created their own dance studio. The two asses, Kyuhyun and Yesung, went to another company and started their own duo. Shindong pursued his MC career and was currently engaged. Sungmin and Ryeowook had enough of the stardom life, so they moved to a quieter place. The EunHae couple kept in contact with everyone, just in case there would be a time where Super Junior would need to reunite again. Like now…

Eunhyuk did not realize that he was crying until he was practically sobbing. Donghae was also crying, but he managed to speak calmly to Ryeowook before hanging up. Eunhyuk collapsed into Donghae’s arms, hysterically crying his heart out for the eternal maknae. Donghae could do nothing as he continued to cry, since he himself was in tears.

“Hyukkie, we have to be strong for him, okay?” he said, rubbing soothing circles into Eunhyuk’s back. Eunhyuk nodded and sniffed a bit more before calming down.

“Hyukkie, I’m going to pick Ryeowook up from his treatment later. Can you call up everyone else and arrange a meeting with them? We’re going to have to tell them soon.” Eunhyuk nodded again, not looking forward to calling everyone up. Especially Jongwoon and Kyuhyun.

“Hae, I’m so afraid for Ryeowook. What did he do to deserve this kind of fate?” Eunhyuk said, holding back more tears. Donghae pulled him into another hug, his hair in an attempt to calm him down again. “Why did he have to get it? Why did God choose him, of all people?” he sobbed.

“I don’t know, Hyukkie. God just works like that.” Donghae felt Eunhyuk go slack in his arms (probably from crying too much), and picked him up bridal style, bringing him to rest in their bedroom. After writing a short note so that Eunhyuk wouldn’t freak out when he wakes up, Donghae quietly slipped out of the house and into his car.

“Time to go find out.” He said to himself, pulling out of the garage, and heading towards the hospital.

~The hospital~

Donghae parked his car and scurried up towards the reception area. A receptionist recognized him immediately and called him forward.

“How can I help you, sir?” she said in a flirty way. Donghae flashed his pearly whites, while internally gagging at the amount of makeup the woman wore.

“Hello, I’m looking for my friend, Kim Ryeowook. He is supposed to be having his treatment right now, but would it be okay to drop by?”

“Sure, there should be no problem. Let me just check.” She quickly scanned her computer before turning back to him. “He is in room 203. Go up the stairs and turn left.” She replied. He smiled again, thanking her before following her directions. Soon enough he came in front of the door. He carefully opened it, peaking in to see if he was asleep or not.

Ryeowook heard the door creak, and opened an eye. He was surprised to see Donghae there. He had told him to come get him later when he was finished, but apparently the latter did not listen.

“Donghae hyung. What are you doing here?” Donghae gave him a small smile before fully entering the room, closing the door behind him. He settled down into the chair next to Ryeowook’s bed, rubbing a hand up and down Ryeowook’s arm in a comforting manner.

“I came to see you, pabo. How are you holding up?” Ryeowook gave a small smile despite the circumstances.

“Doing okay so far, hyung. Where’s Hyukkie hyung?”

“He’s at home. He tired himself out too quickly, so I came by myself to get you.” Ryeowook raised an eyebrow at him. “You’re going to stay with us from now on, Wookie. I’m not going to let you live in that rundown apartment anymore.” Ryeowook sighed, knowing that arguing is futile.

“Okay hyung. I understand. Plus, I highly doubt I could enter the place without…” he left the last part blank, glancing back at the ceiling. Donghae sighed and held his hand.

“Its okay to cry, Wookie. There’s only me in the room.” One by one, they fell from Ryeowook’s eyes. Ryeowook hadn’t stopped crying since Sungmin’s death, and he was sick of it. Why was life so hard? Donghae pulled him into a hug, mentally berating himself at how he did not notice at how thin Ryeowook had gotten. He was practically skin and bones. After he fell back asleep due to crying so much, Donghae tucked him back in bed before going to find the doctor in charge. He found the man at the desk, talking with the receptionist who had helped him earlier on.

“Excuse me doctor, but I was wondering if I could spare you for a minute?” The doctor agreed and they walked out of the woman’s earshot.

“How may I help you?” he asked.

“My friend, Kim Ryeowook… how long does he have left…?” the doctor sighed and took off his glasses. Donghae gulped, seeing that this would not end well.

“Are you a close friend of him?” He asked.

“Yes, he is like a younger brother to me.” The doctor gave him a sympathetic smile.

“I’m so sorry, but at the best, he has only four months left to live.” Donghae froze. Four months only? Why haven’t there been any signs before?

“No… Isn’t there anything we can do to save him?!” The doctor shook his head sadly.

“I’m sorry but no, the cancer is spread all over his body. The best thing we can do is giving him some medications for the pain and wait.” Donghae tightened his hands into fists, trying to control his anger and sorrow. He shakily breathe out, an attempt to calm himself down.

“W…When will he be able to go home?”

“As soon as he is done with the medication. I recommend that you keep an eye on him all the time, because we have also found marks of self-harm along his wrists.” Donghae’s eyes widened in surprise. Ryeowook is depressed…?

“I-I understand, doctor.” He bowed. “Thank you for your time.” And with that, the doctor watched Donghae walked away. The doctor sighed and went back to the front desk, where the receptionist handed him a bunch of folders.

“Thank you, Hyesun. I’ll be in my office now.”

“Junhyung Oppa, isn’t it sad?”

“Telling someone bad news has never been something I liked to do, Hyesun. Its part of my job.” He said with a strained smile. She returned it with a small one and a quick hwaiting before turning back to her computer.

 

“Life is just like a long road with many bumps and turns. You never know what will happen at the next corner.” 


Hi all! I'm back with another chapter ^^ I decided to make the story a bit longer, because it was just too long. >.< I hope this chapter is okay as it is a bit rushed. I changed a few things in the first chapter, if you so happen to notice. An author can never be satisfied with their story.

Midterms are coming soon so I might not be able to update next week >.<

Don't forget to comment & subscribe ^^ thank you~!

~Ana