Slowly yet surely

My Better Half...

In front of the stall selling food, there was a queue with around ten persons, so much that Juhyun, worried for Changmin's time for his break, couldn't help but telling him he was not obliged to accept nor to stay if it took too long. It was not that she didn't feel like being with him, it was the opposite even, but she had been taught like this. Not to bother the ones who were very busy. But Changmin insisted... He had the time, nothing was urging. For nothing he would have shortened this moment by her side. As they were waiting in the line, he even wished for this moment to last as long as possible. For now, he wasn't deceived at all. He liked our graceful ways and her way to be, polite, reserved yet smiling and warm. She was like him in some sort of way...

Once the food was bought, they looked for a place where they could be talking quietly. It was not obvious since the school was always full, it even looked as if the crowd was getting thicker as the minutes were passing by. The stall Changmin had with his friends was a little famous so much that some time girls from out of nowhere were standing in front of him or trying to get closer. The fact he was walking along with Juhyun couldn't change anything and he felt the need to apologize each time it happened, which made her smile. He was so cute when embarrassed... At the same time, she, usually, thought she was too common to be liked by anyone and lesser by someone so popular and she was truly glad he has chose her and no one else among his pretenders.

However, they were able to find one free bench, a little away from the playground, next to the big sport ground. In the tiers farther and on the grass which was used for the shot puts and discuses training, there were a few couples wanting to cut themselves off, talking or just watching the sky together. Oddly, among all these couples, they were not feeling inappropriate, thought they were not one.

Changmin put the cardboard boxes between us on the bench as Juhyun was looking through her bag for an elastic band to tie her hair so she could be more at ease and she would not dirt herself or let one fall into the food. Under the sun, the ebony reflections were impeccably catching the light and sometimes, it was hard for him to take his eyes off her hair delicately moving with the wind. Armed with a small wood pick each, they were nibbling directly from the box and Juhyun had a smile when he took the lead and put a paper napkin on her laps so she wouldn't stain her uniform.

A light breeze was softly blowing... Juhyun watched around her carefreely. Her school and this one were almost the same on many things, like settlements and infrastructures. Clean, modern. Yet, the mood was completely different from her own point of view, less oppressive than her firm girls only institute. She took a glimpse at Changmin and he turned away, trying to hide the fact he was watching her carefully. She had to focus to keep herself from blushing.

"Your school is pretty fine. Ours is very different... First, because it's a girls only place."

"Here, it's a boys only place." He answered with a slight laughter. "It's nothing better, honestly..."

"That's because you never have been in a girls exclusive kind of mood. With themselves, girls often are very deceitful. The ones from my class, for example... I'm sure you wouldn't like them. Myself I don't really like them."

It was the first time she was saying out loud what she really thought about her comrades, except Yoona. In other circumstances, she would never allowed herself but with Changmin, she was feeling she didn't have to pretend to be someone else. She could be natural and express herself naturally, not fearing a lecture.

"So... You don't have any friends?" He asked after biting into a tteokbokki, hiding his mouth with his hand.

"I do. I have my best friend Yoona. But she didn't want to come here. There is Jessica too but she lives in San Francisco, she only comes from time to time. You and your four friends look like really close... You're lucky."

"That's because we know each other since we were kids. And, you know, boys exclusive moods are very competitive..."

"But though it all you are pretty lucky." She sighed while looking away.

In reality, luck had nothing to do with it. It was some random of a life if they have met and he didn't dare telling her that there were tensions from time to time. Jae Joong was likely to fly off the handle very easily and to easily get nervous too, like Juhyun has experienced a little earlier. Yoochun coulnd't help but tryig to seduce each cute girls on his way, even the ones one of them were fond of. He never had did it to Changmin yet and this one hoped he would not try anything with Juhyun... though he couldn't believe she would get into such a sweet talker but one may never know. After all, he knew how to play with girls who almost always thought he was charming. Junsu seemed to take things seriously too sporadically and he was so carefree about many things that, sometimes, he was getting his comrades quite irritating. Yunho was head in the clouds and could forget very important stuff effortlessly, he hated to lose and very easily entered into competitions with Yoochun. Way too easily... What about himself? His sardonic humour and his need to get alone from time to time made him someone quite unpredictable. Their friendship might be sturdy, it was not always blissful.

"So... Why you guys did started to collect money for an orphenage?"

Changmin blinked his eyes many times in front of Juhyun, surprised by the question. She was the first who wanted to know why they were doing this. All the other girls didn't care about the hows and whys. All that mattered to them was to be seen by them in any way.

"Jae Joong has grown there. That's why it was so important for him."

"Ah..." She answered, lowering her eyes to her school bag in which she had put the Keroro cuddly toy given by Changmin.

Soon, he got her unease. Once again, she surely was thinking that, rightly, her behavior was nothing good and that she should never have accepted his present. He needed to reassure her at any cost...

"Don't worry... It's not so very small cuddly toy which is going to bankrupt the whole thing. It's going to be alright."

"But that's sad anyway... Don't you think so? I don't really know Jae Joong and even if he had not been very nice with me, I can't help but feel sorry for him. He never knew his parents at all?"

"No, not at all."

Seeing her sad eyes, he didn't dare telling her that he had no more parents too. If she was feeling that way for Jae Joong even if he talked so bad to her, then Changmin didn't want to imagine how she would behave to learn that he was an orphan too now, even if his case very quite different from Jae Joong's. Because he was close to the age of being major and he didn't have any family member living close to him, he has started to work and rented that tiny apartment in a slightly dreary corner of Itaewon, while waiting for the good moment to get emancipated.

Afar, he noticed blonde hair and quite loud clothes, very different from those wore by the other visiting girls. Immediately, he recognized the girl who was with Juhyun and who seemed like trying to seduce Jae Joong. She apparently was looking for someone... Suddenly, her face stopped in their direction and he knew his moment with Juhyun was reaching its end.

"Is that your friend coming to us?"

"Yes, this is Jessica... I thought she was gone and left me on my own. She's quite something! I'm sorry... I surely will have to get home with her."

"Don't worry, I understand. Well... Juhyun, can I ask you something?"

"You can..."

"Well... I really like to see you again. I'm not used at doing this but... Would it bother you to give me your number? Sometimes, there's a fairy with a merry-go-round and many stalls to win cuddly toys, maybe we could go there together..."

She could barely hide her surprise. She would never have thought he would ask her something like this. Innocently, she thought he was paying attention at her only because of the stall accident. But she was feeling happy. Her heart looked like racing, all of a sudden...

"Well... Alright, why not? In this case, I'm going to take yours too."

Usually, she was not that rash but since he had been the one to ask her, she thought it would not sound inappropriate if she did the same. It was useless to say how much Changmin was relieved she accepted so much that she wanted his number as well.

To make it faster, they exchanged their phones and typed their number at the same time on the other's screen. She recorded her name and so did he. Just when they have finished their trick, Jessica was at their level. Speechlessly, Changmin collected the leftover food and left the bench after he waved Juhyun goodbye, smiling at her in the most adorable way ever. Jessica looked at him leaving with surprise, before she wrapped her arm around her friend's neck.

"Wow, you have been able to get the number of one of them, JuJu! I'm so proud of you... You know what, look..." She told her showing her own phone. "I got Yoochun's, it was the easiest. He told me if I invited him he would be happy to take a drink with me. I had Jae Joong's, too. It was a little harder, because he didn't dare telling it in front of his fans. I wanted Yunho's but he said no. Junsu said he already had a girlfriend, that's why. How lucky that girl is! So, I took Junsu's, after all..."

"Let's go."

Juhyun shrugged and didn't add anything. Jessica has never changed. She was still doing anything she could to get a date or a number from a pretty boy, no matter the competition around. She loved her a lot but yet she was reassured that Jessica was not in Seoul that often after all.

All that she wanted to keep from his day was that it had been a good day in the end. She was really shy and her daily worries were far from meeting boys but she had been able of that exploit which was getting one of them's number, not even looking for it. Nothing seemed to show her she had tried to but she had a little hope inside her heart. The hope that maybe she had caught Changmin's attention even though she was... who she was.

*****************************************************************************************************************

It's late in here and I'm very tired so please forgive me for grammar errors and spellling errors! I'll fix that up latter, it's a promise!^^

Thanks for reading me and thanks for your nice supports and comments! I'm glad you like that story! ♥