Recognition

Awkward Doesn't Begin to Describe It

After a shower and a hearty breakfast from Ryeowook – which was strangely accompanied by a mischievous wink from the young man – Jongwoon began searching online for the episode of Defenseless Talk he and Sungmin had been on.

Kyuhyun barged in and refused to leave while Jongwoon searched, “You could just search yourself, Kyu!”
“I know but I want to see what you see.” Kyuhyun grinned and scooted beside the older man.
It didn’t take much searching.

“It’s subtitled in English, too!” Kyuhyun pointed out, “Oh and in Vietnamese!”
“I don’t speak either of those.”
Kyuhyun glanced at Jongwoon, “I hope you’re joking, right? It’s still in Korean.”
Jongwoon grinned.

“Just click one, hyung.” Kyuhyun elbowed him.

They watched curiously with Jongwoon oddly quiet.
“Ah, really, hyung you talk so much. Sungmin barely says a word!”
Jongwoon elbowed Kyuhyun, “He never wants to say a word!”

“You watch Sungmin a lot.” Kyuhyun commented.
Jongwoon barely spared the younger a glance, “No, I don’t.”
“Yes, you do.” Ryeowook spoke up from behind.

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun jumped.
“When did you get here?” Jongwoon asked, moving to rewind the video, “And no, I don’t!”
“You definitely do, Jongwoon-ah.” Ryeowook repeated, “Watch all the videos you want where the two of you star – you are always watching him.”

Jongwoon frowned but didn’t reply.

Kyuhyun began pointing out each time Jongwoon looked over at the other man in the video.
“Sungmin doesn’t do it as much.”

Jongwoon couldn’t help but smile though when Sungmin complimented his voice.
Kyuhyun and Ryeowook giggled when Jongwoon called Sungmin pretty.

All three of them laughed when Sungmin kept pointing out that because he was an idol, he hadn’t kissed or drank.

“How awkward was it talking about the type of girls you two like?” Kyuhyun asked.
“It’s always awkward talking about stuff like that with anyone.”

Ryeowook blushed and smiled when Jongwoon complimented his cooking.

Kyuhyun and Ryeowook clapped Jongwoon’s back and called him old because of the generation gap.
And again the three of them laughed when Sungmin continued to point out that because he was an idol, he had no secrets.

Kyuhyun groaned when Jongwoon talked too much but quieted when Ryeowook tapped his shoulder. He glanced backwards and Ryeowook held his finger to his lips, giving the youngest a knowing look.

In the video, Jongwoon kept talking, eventually coming to talk about Sungmin.

Instead of looking at the video, Kyuhyun and Ryeowook stared at Jongwoon to gauge his reaction.
Jongwoon barely reacted. As he trailed on in the video about preparing extra for variety shows and vowing that he and Sungmin would show their handsome sides, Kyuhyun reached over and paused the video.

“What’d you do that for?”

“You totally missed it!” Kyuhyun groaned, “You’re so dense!”
“Wha-“
Kyuhyun rewound the video, “Look at his face, Woon.”

They rewatched the small clip until Kyuhyun paused it again.
Jongwoon furrowed his brow, “He looked… surprised?”
“Yeah, he did look surprised.” Ryeowook agreed.

“I was just commenting on all the things Sungmin has done. He’s very accomplished. Shouldn’t I be proud of that?” Jongwoon said, “Why would that make his heart pound?”

Kyuhyun and Ryewook looked at each other before staring at the man, “Who said anything about his heart pounding?”
“That- that’s what Sungmin said last night. He said when we went on this show, I said all this stuff and his heart was pounding. He said this was when he began being awkward around me.” Jongwoon frowned.
“I don’t understand… Sungmin hears a million compliments a day. Why would his heart pound when I say them?”

“Really dense.” Kyuhyun repeated.

“No- c’mon, I’m serious-“
“Maybe he didn’t realize that you admire him.” Ryeowook suggested.
“I don’t see why he wouldn’t. Of course I admire him! He’s handsome, talented and intelligent. He’s good at everything he tries. He’s strong and he knows martial arts and he works hard at learning other languages-“ Jongwoon bit his lip, silencing himself.

“Okaaay.” Ryeowook had to laugh, “Maybe you should tell him that.”

“Don’t I? I always have good things to say about him- to him! I wouldn’t want to be his friend if I didn’t think he was amazing-“
“Woon, do you like Sungmin?”
Jongwoon eyed Kyuhyun, “Isn’t that what I said?”

“No, not friendly like. Do you have a romantic interest in him? Do you want to kiss him? Take him out on dates? Maybe take him back home to your place and get him in b-“
Kyuhyun.” Ryeowook’s tone warned.
Jongwoon’s ears and cheeks burned, “Wha-“
“Honestly, Woon. You need to figure it out.” Kyuhyun stood up, motioning for Ryeowook to follow him, “Because I assure you, he’s wondering the same thing.”

“How could you possibly-?” Jongwoon’s gaze followed Kyuhyun as the younger man walked to the door and opened it.
“Because he had been on my phone for the last half hour, listening to us. He hung up though when I asked if you liked him.”

Jongwoon gaped, “Wh- how- why-“

“Really, honestly, think about it, Woon.” Kyuhyun stepped out.
Ryeowook stopped and turned to the older man, “Sungmin is sensitive, hyung. He’s also scared to reveal too much about himself. He’s not a piece of glass, though. You should be honest with him, whatever your answer is. Even if it’s not to his liking, he’ll understand and… I think, he’ll be happy that he doesn’t have to hold it in anymore.”
“Wookie…” Jongwoon sighed, “I never realized… I always thought that… he disliked me. I- I shied away-“

“Talk to him, hyung. He’s the one who needs to hear it.”
Ryeowook turned and left the room, closing the door behind him to allow Jongwoon to think.

--

Sungmin didn’t want to return home.
He had checked the usual sources and Jongwoon hadn’t been to his mother and brother’s coffee house, nor to his father’s eyewear shop.
There were no fancams or photos of Jongwoon out and about.

More than likely the man hadn’t left the dorm.

Sungmin had long since finished his own schedules, free for the rest of the day and had squandered an hour wandering a park near the studio.
He tried to get his mind on other things. His future schedules, for example.
Every train of thought seemed to stop at Jongwoon Station.

When, he wondered, did Kyuhyun and Ryeowook figure him out, anyway?
Why had they never bothered to ask him about it?

Being gay was one thing in Korea, but being gay and a celebrity?
It was something Sungmin had dared not reveal to anyone – not even his closest friends and brothers in Super Junior.
He wondered now if he had actually been so obvious that everyone had seen it.

Everyone except the master of obliviousness, Kim Jongwoon.

Sungmin was part angry at Jongwoon for being so dense.
He was angry at himself for keeping it in so long that it started to physically hurt.
He was angry.

He was scared that he’d return home to Jongwoon’s pitying gaze… or worse. His disgust and hatred.
He could handle rejection. He could possibly even handle pity.
Sungmin could not handle the thought that Jongwoon would hate him for this revelation.
It was the sole reason he’d kept it quiet for as long as Sungmin realized he’d felt more than just friendly towards the singer.

After another half hour, Sungmin came to two conclusions.
First, he was bored, hanging around the park all alone. Second, he was hungry and he wanted to eat a homemade dinner.

He summoned every ounce of courage in his being and marched home.

It was silent when he walked through the door.

Sungmin hoped that meant he was all alone and he could eat something then go to his room and hide out.
He whispered very softly to the empty room, “I’m ho~ome.”

No reply.

He sighed with relief.

“Min?”
Like an assassin… Jongwoon could be terrifyingly silent when he wanted to be.
Sungmin skittered a few steps in surprise before turning to see the object of his recent tension gazing at him.
“Hyung…”
“Can we talk?”

Sungmin’s mind spun as he tried to think of an excuse. Too hungry? Tired. Sick? Going deaf. Just stopped in to see how you were doing. Actually just on my way out.
Who are you and what are you doing in my apartment?
“Do we have to?” Sungmin blurted out.

Jongwoon’s eyes widened for a moment.
He cast his eyes downward, “… no, of course not. I won’t ever force you to do something you’re uncomfortable with, Sungmin-ssi.”

From ‘Min’ to ‘Sungmin-ssi’ in just seconds.
Sungmin’s heart seemed to cringe.
“Hyung… I- I mean… I’m hungry at the moment. Can… I prepare something to eat? Then- then we’ll talk.”

Jongwoon’s face brightened immediately and the sudden realization that Sungmin would do anything to make Jongwoon smile like that, struck him like lightning.
“Okay! I’ll make you something! I’m not a great cook but Jongjin taught me a bit- I can make a pretty great sandwich!”

“You don’t have to-“
“I want to!” Jongwoon smiled happily, “Let me, okay?”

Sungmin nodded, the corners of his lips tugging upwards.

As Jongwoon promised, the sandwich was quite delicious.
Sungmin wondered though if it was his because Jongwoon had skill or if perhaps Sungmin merely loved it because it was from Jongwoon.

Jongwoon ate with the younger, both making awkward small talk during their meal.

When they finished, Sungmin washed their dishes and Jongwoon rinsed.

Both would glance at the other, occasionally catching the other’s eye and smile happily.
Both were anxiously trying to figure out how to broach the subject.

Finally, as Sungmin scrubbed a glass tumbler, Jongwoon spoke up.
“Kyuhyun and Ryeowook told me…”
Sungmin nearly dropped the cup, his entire body tensed.
Jongwoon bit his lip, “I- I don’t know if it’s true… what they said-“

“What did they say?”

“Not- they insinuated…”

“What did they insinuate?”

“Min… I- just hear me out? Okay?” Jongwoon touched Sungmin’s shoulder, urging him to look into his face, “Please?”
Sungmin nodded, his heart pounding in his ears.

“I- I think- that is…” Jongwoon took a deep breath, “I think… that I like you. Like you. Romantically.”
Sungmin stumbled backwards, colliding with the counter.
“I- I don’t think I’m gay. I- well, I’ve never thought of another man like this. It didn’t occur to me… I never questioned why I always seemed to think of you. I am always drawn to you. I- Well… I can’t stop… trying to imagine being closer to you.”

Jongwoon’s gaze dropped and he blushed, “I even dream of you.”

“Hyung.”

“I just- they- they think you might- maybe? I- I don’t know…”

Sungmin reached out and touched the older man’s chin, lifting his head to meet his eyes.
“How long have you… felt like this?”

Jongwoon’s eyes shifted away from Sungmin’s, “It was when the comments… people kept commenting on how we were so awkward and- it began to hurt. I didn’t want to be awkward with you. I wanted you to look at me- to look at me the way you seemed to look at others.”

“It’s funny.” Sungmin gave a soft chuckle, “I have always been watching you. How did we miss each other’s eyes when we were both looking at each other?”
He closed the gap between them and pulled Jongwoon into a tight embrace.

Jongwoon sighed raggedly, wrapping his arms around Sungmin’s waist.

“I like you, too, Jongwoon-ah.”

 

--

A/N: No idea where to go with this haha. Complete?