Trying

Awkward Doesn't Begin to Describe It

Jongwoon could barely sleep that night, trying to think of ways to talk to Sungmin and get him to open up about what the problem was.
Sure they had some personality differences but they weren’t enormous. Jongwoon had a different personality than everyone in the group but he seemed to get along just fine with everyone else.

He didn’t expect to be best friends with Sungmin but he would like to at least be able to talk to the man without feeling like a jackass.

Jongwoon tossed and turned until Ryeowook sat up suddenly and threw a pillow at Jongwoon’s head, “GO TO SLEEP.

-----
SJ -----

The next morning Jongwoon was up late and so had to eat a cold breakfast - everyone else having eaten the warm breakfast that Ryeowook prepared.
Most everyone had gone to their individual schedules.
Jongwoon helped Ryeowook wash the dishes as an apology for keeping him up.

“What do you have today?” Jongwoon asked as he rinsed the last dishes.
“A lunch date-thing and Sukira.” Ryeowook dried his hands, “You?”
Jongwoon shook his head, “Day off.”
Ryeowook pat his arm, “Okay, then you can come with us to lunch! Minnie and I have a lunch date with the producer of Sukira. Tag along, ok? Producer-hyung will take off early, he always does. Then I’ll leave too and you can spend some time with Sungmin.”

“Really? That’s a great idea!” He leaned in and gave Ryeowook a tight hug with wet hands.
“Aaish!” Ryeowook shoved him away.
“That’s for the pillow last night.” Jongwoon grinned.
Ryeowook narrowed his eyes, “You better sleep with one eye open, hyung.”
“Oh, I will. Don’t complain to me if you have nightmares because of it.”
Ryeowook grimaced as he left the kitchen to change his soaking shirt.

Jongwoon was considering taping his eyes open just to freak out Ryeowook when someone shuffled into the kitchen, softly humming.
Jongwoon didn’t bother turning, “What should I say to him? I always find myself getting tongue-tied around him.”
“Who?”
“Who? What do you mean to who?” Jongwoon turned, “Sungmin!” Saw Sungmin and gasped.

Sungmin glanced around, confused, “Were you talking to me?”
Jongwoon patted his heart, “Ahh… you scared me-“
“I thought you heard me come in?”
“I did. I thought you were Wook.”
“Ah, I didn’t mean to scare you.”
Jongwoon shook his head, “It’s fine, it’s just a little heart attack.”

Sungmin made a soft sound of amusement.
Then, “Who were you talking about?”

Jongwoon stilled.
“Hyung?”
He stared at the floor, “Uhm.”
“Nevermind, it’s none of my business.” Sungmin turned to leave the kitchen.

“No-“ Jongwoon stopped him, “Wait- I was- I was talking about manager-hyung. I have some things to talk to him about and I don’t- I don’t want to sound stupid… tongue-tied…” he finished lamely.
“Oh. Is everything okay?”
“Yes, it’s fine.” Jongwoon laughed awkwardly, “Please don’t worry about it. Uhm… if- if you don’t mind, Wook invited me to lunch with you two and- and Sukira producer-nim.”

“That’s fine.” Sungmin smiled, “Are you fond of Italian food? That’s where we’re going.”

“Anything is fine.” Jongwoon said, “As long as they don’t make me eat with a Barbie doll or hit me when I laugh, I’ll eat anything.”
Sungmin laughed, “At least you didn’t get hit as much as Hyukkie.”
The two cracked up.

“What’s so funny?” Ryeowook came in smiling, “Tell me, tell me.”
“Hyung was talking about when we were on Unbelievable Outing.” Sungmin shook his head, “If there’s Barbie dolls on the table, hyung, don’t order soup.”

Ryeowook grinned as he watched Jongwoon and Sungmin burst into laughter.
He gave Jongwoon a thumbs up sign when Sungmin wasn’t looking.
Having not had time to watch all the episodes, Ryeowook didn’t know exactly what they were giggling about so he made a note to himself to watch it on YouTube later.

“Oh-“ Ryeowook held his phone up, “Sukira producer-hyung called and had to cancel. I’ve got some errands to do before Sukira, though- okay? You two should go to lunch since we still have the reservation.”

“Oh.” Sungmin looked at Jongwoon, “Would that be okay, hyung?”
“Really? Yes, sure. Is that- is that okay with you?”
“That’s fine. I’m really looking forward to this restaurant.” Sungmin pulled out his phone, “Couple of hours before the reservations, though – want to do some shopping, hyung? You always have good fashion sense.”
“Sure! I’ll- I’ll get ready!” Jongwoon made for the door before spinning on his heel and heading back to the sink. He rinsed off his hands and rushed out of the kitchen.

Ryeowook watched him go before looking at Sungmin, “So does this mean you’re finally going to tell him?”
Sungmin looked at Ryeowook, “Nothing to tell, Wook.”
“He worries, you know. He wants to be your friend.”
“We are friends.”
“No, you’re not. You’re associates. He’s not that dense, Minnie. He realizes you two are awkward and it doesn’t help that every time you both appear on a show, someone brings it up and it starts a whole discussion.”

Sungmin stared at his phone.

“You can be just friends, Minnie.” Ryeowook murmured.
“Just friends.” Sungmin repeated robotically, “Sure.”

“Minnie…”
“We’re going out shopping. It’s a start, Wookie. Okay? I’m trying.”
“… okay.”