Shopping

Awkward Doesn't Begin to Describe It

“Hyung, look!” Sungmin held up a button-down shirt in a lurid shade of green.
Jongwoon’s eyebrows knitted together, “Oh… nnnno. No, Sungmin.”
“You don’t think it looks good?”
“Maybe… if I was on acid.”
“Aish, and it’s just my size too…”

“Here.” Jongwoon took the shirt away from Sungmin and held up another shirt in a much calmer shade of green, “This is better. Pair it with any colour, it’ll look really well. This is your size, too.”
Jongwoon watched Sungmin as the man held the shirt up to his chest and peered into a mirror.

“Does it really look good, hyung?”
“Yes.”
“Let’s look at pants, too. I wish I could wear the skinny jeans like you. My legs are too thick.” Sungmin wrinkled his nose.
“Your legs are just fine.” Jongwoon argued, “You have a great body!”

Sungmin’s eyebrows rose.

“No, I mean-“ Jongwoon laughed, anxiously, “I didn’t mean… I mean-“
Sungmin laughed, “It’s fine.”
“I’m just saying-“ Jongwoon tried again, “You have a y body.”
Sungmin’s eyes grew round.
“As a friend!” Jongwoon tried valiantly, “I’m saying-“ he gestured to Sungmin frantically, “You’re…”

Sungmin put his hand over his mouth, hiding the giddy laugh that threatened to escape.
Jongwoon covered his face with his hands, “This is why they call me Fail Yesung, isn’t it?”
He glanced at Sungmin between his fingers and saw that the other man’s cheeks were a pale pink when he managed to say, “Hyung, its fine.”
“Pants.” Jongwoon said finally, “Let’s look at pants.”
“Pants.” Sungmin agreed.

The two searched the racks and managed to find several pieces that both agreed to.
Jongwoon demanded Sungmin try each piece, ushering him into a changing room, “You don’t want to buy something you’re not sure looks good on you. You have to see it for yourself. Go go go.”

When Sungmin reappeared, Jongwoon’s mouth dropped.

“Does- does it look good?”
Jongwoon cleared his throat, “Yes. Of course, we chose clothes that would fit you and your style.”
“Hyung, I don’t have a style.”
“Sure, you do!” Jongwoon motioned for Sungmin to turn, “You- wow.”
“What? Is it too tight?” Sungmin glanced at Jongwoon from over his shoulder.

“No-“ Jongwoon tried to pull his eyes away from Sungmin’s bubble and cleared his throat, “You, uh… you can change to the next one now…”
With each new outfit, Jongwoon grew quieter and quieter.

After Sungmin paid for his purchases, he found Jongwoon eyeing a few rings at the jewelry counter.
“Hyung, thanks for helping me pick things out.”
Jongwoon smiled at him, “No problem. They all looked great on you. You don’t really need my help.”
“No, that’s not true.” Sungmin laughed, “I have no sense of fashion. I really appreciate it. If we weren’t already going for lunch, I’d offer to buy you lunch in return.”

“Not necessary, regardless.” Jongwoon held his hands up, “It’s enough to see you enjoying clothes, heh.”
“We still have time before we need to be at the restaurant, hyung. Want to shop some more?”
“Yes. Maybe I’ll find something I like, too.”

The two tried on shoes, looked at jewelry and at one point even examined leather gloves.
Sungmin marveled at how tiny Jongwoon’s hands really were.
“Everyone jokes about it but I never really looked at them.” Sungmin said, holding Jongwoon’s hands were were encased in leather gloves that were far too large for him.

“Maybe woman’s size?” Sungmin suggested.
Jongwoon blushed and pulled his hands away, “They’re not that small.” And pulled the gloves off and set them down.

“They’re pretty small.” Sungmin laughed, pulling the gloves onto his own hands, “Look, perfect fit!”
“Aish!” Jongwoon shook his head, “Well… at least they look good on you. You should get them.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. Everything looks good on you, Sungmin-ah. You just have to figure out how to combine the pieces.”

Sungmin pulled the gloves off, “They’re nice but they looked better on you. Maybe if we found a smaller size-“
Jongwoon laughed, “No, no, you should get them.”
“Actually-“ A woman spoke up from behind the counter, “We do have a smaller size.”

She set down a display mat with the same style gloves.
“Oh!” Sungmin brightened, “Try them on, hyung!”
Jongwoon attempted to mumble an excuse but soon found the gloves on his hands, a perfect fit.
The woman behind the counter attempted to hide her smile.

“They’re women’s size, aren’t they?”
“Oh, no-“
“Childrens?”
She smiled sympathetically as Jongwoon sighed deeply.

Sungmin bit his lip to keep from laughing.

“They’re really nice, though, hyung.”
“They are. They’re very nice. They look better on you, however.”
Sungmin attempted to argue but then Jongwoon changed the subject and returned the gloves to the woman behind the counter.

Afterward they finally made it to lunch. As they waited for their orders to arrive, they chatted amicably.
Jongwoon finally said what had been on his mind all day, “Sungmin… why don’t we hang out together more? Today is really fun. I just… I don’t understand why we’re so… awkward everywhere else but when it’s just us, we have fun.”

Sungmin pursed his lips together.

“I didn’t mean to make you angry…”

“No, you-“ Sungmin smiled gently, “You didn’t make me angry, hyung. I wonder the same thing sometimes. I’m sorry if… if I’ve hurt you by being cold.” He fiddled with the stem of his wine glass, “It’s-“ he laughed softly to himself, “It’s clichéd. It’s not you, Jong- Jongwoon.”

Jongwoon’s eyes widened.
Sungmin had only ever called him hyung or Yesung when referring to him.
Now he said his name as though he were testing it out. Tasting it.

“I promise, it’s really not you. You’re a great hyung.” Sungmin glanced upwards at Jongwoon, “I promise we’ll spend more time together, okay? We’ll work on the awkwardness that seems to happen around other people.”

Jongwoon smiled brightly, “That’s all I want, Minnie-ah!”

Sungmin couldn’t help but smile back.

Jongwoon bent to the bags at his feet, “To celebrate, I- I got you something!”
“Wha-“
“I mean, if you don’t like them, you don’t have to keep them…”
He set down a lovely box in front of Sungmin, “But they looked really good on you…”

Sungmin burst out laughing.

“What’s so funny?”
“Jongwoon-ah.” Sungmin bent to the bags at his own feet and retrieved a similar box.
“Sungmin- you didn’t.”
“For you, hyung.” He set the box down before Jongwoon, “I think they looked really good on you.”

They both opened the boxes at the same time, laughing at themselves and each other.

“Do you think the others will be jealous when they see us matching?” Jongwoon asked, admiring the gloves.
“Oh definitely.” Sungmin pulled his on and wiggled his fingers, “They’ll be more curious than anything else.”
“We should start dressing alike. They’ll get really confused.”

“Omo, hyung…” Sungmin laughed, “Let’s do it! Really give the fans something to talk about.”
“Do you think anyone would actually notice??”
Yes.”

“Okay, glove shake!” Jongwoon extended his leather-clad hand, “This is our secret handshake. Our Yesungminshake.”
Sungmin grasped Jongwoon’s hand, laughing at the word, “Hyung, this will be fun.”



--

A/N: Sorry been taking so long to update. The muse has been escaping me lately so I wrote something else and I think that kind of jumpstarted my brain. lol, will try harder!