Children's Day- Part 4

Everything changes when you become an Appa

 

Present Day

As the bus slowed to a stop, the boys gathered up their things and exited the bus with Minhee taking the lead. Daesung and Youngbae were right behind her and Jiyong and Seungri brought up the rear. As soon as he was off the bus, Jiyong stopped and took a deep breath. He felt Seungri take his hand and give it a squeeze. “You alright?”

 

Jiyong nodded before turning towards his partner and smiling. “Yeah, I’m fine.” They just stood there for a second, and yet Jiyong’s thoughts kept racing. He couldn’t believe just how lucky he was to have Seungri in his life, to have found another man who loved him and Minhee. The number of times Seungri had saved him, brought him back from that brink of depression in the first month? It was too numerous to count.

 

Not to mention how much the maknae had picked up since then. Helping with driving Minhee around, teaching her Japanese and English, traveling with her whenever he could… He claimed it was because he wanted to be Minhee’s favorite, but Jiyong knew differently. He was trying to make sure he shared the load. He knew Jiyong needed that equal partnership, that equality, and he was trying his hardest to give it to him, even going so far as to push him back to YG Ent’s studio and convincing YG to let him start writing songs after a year and a half long hiatus.

 

And it felt good. Jiyong quickly leaned over and gave his lover a quick peck before letting out a sigh and starting down the road towards Seunghyun. Yes, they were here for Minhee, but Jiyong knew it was time. Time to show Seunghyun that he had found someone new and that he was moving on. Finally, he was moving on.

 

---

Flashback

On children’s Day, 2018, Jiyong woke up to the smell of pancakes mixed with the smell of meat and burning something or another. It took him a moment to focus his slightly bloodshot eyes, due mainly to the crying he had continued on with most of the night. As he heard a high pitched voice in the kitchen, he couldn’t help but smile.

 

“Appa,” the high pitched, little girl voice said, “you’re burning them.”

 

He let out a small laugh as he hauled himself out of bed. He stopped when he remembered all that had happened yesterday, but a shake of his head and he put it away. Seungri was obviously still here, and Minhee was up as well. Sure, he could be sorry for what had happened, but for the moment he needed to put it away. He and Seunghyun would have a discussion later. Today was Minhee’s day, and he needed to put on his best face for that.

 

“Appa!” The voice cried out again. “It’s burning!”

 

Jiyong had just about made it to the doorway when the voice he heard had him stop. “Aw for the love of… Damn it.”

 

Even his daughter’s reply of “Appa, you shouldn’t curse,” couldn’t pull him out of his frozen state. What in the world was he doing back? When had he gotten back? Did he even know that Jiyong was still here? The fact that Seunghyun was currently in the kitchen, cooking breakfast apparently, had Jiyong slowly creep back to bed. He wasn’t ready to face the other man yet. But his daughter had other plans.

 

“Jiyong-appa!” He heard her cry as her footsteps carried her down the hall and stopped in front of his door. He sat up as he heard the door open and smiled softly as he observed her slowly poke her head in. “Appa,” she said in the loudest whisper she could manage, “are you awake?”

 

He nodded as he pat the bed next to him. “Yup. What about you, little one?”

 

She laughed as she ran in and jumped onto the bed next to him, hugging him once she was up there. “Of course I am, silly!”

 

“Hey.” Jiyong felt his face fall when he heard the voice attached to the figure currently in the doorway.

 

“Oh, um… morning.” The two men stared at each other, their daughter looking between them until Jiyong finally cleared his throat. “Um, Minhee sweetie? Why don’t you go and change into your comfy outfit for today, okay? Appas need to talk.”

 

She took a moment of looking between the two before she finally nodded and climbed off the bed. Both men waited until they heard her door shut before the started speaking.

 

“I didn’t mean-“

 

“I’m so so-“

 

They stopped as soon as they started to talk over each other and it was another moment before Seunghyun spoke up. “I wanted to… apologize.”

 

“No,” Jiyong said as he stood, cutting the other man off. “I’m sorry. I said so many things that I shouldn’t have. I was just angry and hurt and… I never should have let the articles and comments affect me the way they did.” He took a deep breath before bowing in front of the other man. “I am so, so sorry.”

 

He stayed that way until he heard a chuckle. He glanced up to see the older man shaking his head before moving towards him and pulling him into a hug. “You idiot,” Seunghyun whispered.

 

“So, hyung,” Jiyong leaned back and shyly looked up. “Do you forgive me?”

 

“Well, I guess I have to this time.” The shorter man raised an eyebrow at the response until the older man chuckled again. “Of course I do.” He leaned down and gave Jiyong a small peck, but as soon as their lips touched, Jiyong realized that wasn’t enough. He let Seunghyun pull away for a second, just long enough to make eye contact, to try and convey to the other just how sorry he was, how much he missed him, how much he loved him, before he linked his arms around the taller man’s neck and pulled him back down.

 

It wasn’t until they heard a giggle behind them that they broke apart, both red in the face. Jiyong glanced over to see Minhee in her favorite pajamas, her stuffed bear held in front of her face as she peaked around it. “Oh, Minhee, um-“

 

“Appas were kissing!” Minhee said as she hid her face again.

 

Seunghyun chuckled as Jiyong gave his arm a light punch and walked over to their daughter. “About that,” he said as he kneeled down. “Minhee, you know about kissing right?”

 

“Uh-huh!” She said as she dropped the bear from in front of her face. “It’s what adults do when they love each other!”

 

“Oh, right!” Jiyong said, his face brightening.

 

“And Jiyong-appa and Seunghyun-appa love each other forever and ever!” She continued brightly as she looked between the two.

 

Jiyong glanced up at the older man who simply smiled down at him as he answered. “Exactly. Forever and ever.”

 

Minhee grinned as she kissed a blushing Jiyong on the cheek. “And Minhee loves appas forever and ever too,” she exclaimed before hurrying over to Seunghyun who picked her up and allowed her to kiss him on his cheek as well.

 

“And since appas love Minhee forever and ever,” he said, his voice getting softer and slightly higher as he carried his daughter into the kitchen, “what would Princess Minhee like to do for her children’s day after breakfast?”

 

Jiyong laughed as he followed the two loves of his life, listening to Minhee describe exactly what movie they were going to watch while eating breakfast, followed by another movie then shopping and then dinner at her favorite restaurant. His heart felt warm and his smile turned soft as he watched Seunghyun and Minhee together. Today was Minhee’s day, and he promised to make it amazing. But tomorrow? Tomorrow he would ask one of the others to take Minhee and would do everything in his power to make it a day Seunghyun’s would never forget.

 

---

Present Day

Jiyong felt his heart race, thudding against his chest as they reached the final turn. He had only been to visit Seunghyun twice in the past year, and he felt like only Seungri’s hand was keeping him from turning and running away. He was Kwon Jiyong, the legendary G-Dragon, and he was currently terrified.

 

He could tell from the set of the other’s shoulders that they were apprehensive about the reunion as well, though from the sounds of the voices in front of him, he could tell they were trying to hide it. From their group, only little Minhee seemed extremely excited. She kept running in front of the others, telling them to hurry before running back and trying to drag them along, laughing as she did so.

 

“Appas!” She shouted as she stood about ten feet in front of everyone else. “If we don’t hurry he is going to be mad that we’re late!” She actually stomped her foot as they all tried to smile and hurry up.

 

“We’re coming,” Daesung said. He glanced backwards and saw just how far behind Jiyong and Seungri had fallen before he turned back to Minhee. “I think Jiyong-appa is a little tired from the walk though.”

 

The little girl’s expression instantly changed and she ran back down the slight incline until she was standing in front of Jiyong. “Appa,” she said softly, “are you sick again?”

 

“No, sweetie,” he replied softly as well. “I’m just worried about seeing Seunghyun.”

 

“Oh,” she replied as her face scrunched up in thought. She suddenly brightened. “But appa, Seunghyun-appa probably misses you too! Since you didn’t come with us at Christmas, he hasn’t seen you in forever!”

 

“It hasn’t been forever,” Seungri spoke up with a smile. Jiyong glanced at the man next to him and they made eye contact before Seungri spoke again. “Since we’re almost there, why don’t you run ahead to greet him and we’ll catch up.”

 

Minhee glanced between all four appas, but it wasn’t until Jiyong smiled and nodded that she grinned as well. “Okay! I’ll tell him you are right behind me!”

 

The four men stood together as they watched her run down the path, knowing, even without seeing, that the smile on her face would rival Daesung’s any day. She didn’t even slow down as she reached the steps, skipping up them as only a young child can. The four appas walked closer as they saw her reach the top of the stairs, smile, and bow. “Sorry we’re late appa!”

 

---

Flashback

“Aish, she is so heavy,” Jiyong muttered as he shifted Minhee from one side to the other. He glared as Seunghyun chuckled. “What?”

 

“Maybe you need to work out more.”

 

“Look who is talking, hyung,” he replied, ignoring the smirk that taller man sent him. They had spent the last part of the day shopping for a new toy and dress for Minhee, which she was currently wearing, then at her favorite restaurant, before she finally fell asleep against Seunghyun during desert. It was a quiet evening, and Jiyong was enjoying walking down the street, his daughter asleep in his arms and his love smiling beside him.

 

“Do you want me to take her?”

 

Jiyong glanced at the taller man and then at the little girl currently starting to drool on his shoulder. He smiled softly before shaking his head. “No, that’s alright, I don’t want to wake her.”

 

“I don’t know,” Seunghyun smiled, “with all that food, I’m pretty sure she will be knocked out until midday tomorrow.”

 

“Oh god, I hope not.” The younger man shook his head. “You weren’t here the last time she slept in. It was a nightmare come nap time, and even worse around dinner.”

 

“Really?” When all he received was an affirmative grunt, he chuckled. “Well, don’t worry,” Seunghyun remarked as he softly put an arm around Jiyong’s shoulders, making sure not to disturb the sleeping Minhee. “I’ll be here to help this time.”

 

They stopped at the crosswalk and the two exchanged a look and a kiss before they heard a noise behind them. A quick glance had them both laughing. The doll Minhee had been clutching had finally fallen from her grasp. Just as Jiyong and Seunghyun both started to lean down to grab it, the cross walk light turned green.

 

“You go, I’ve got it,” Seunghyun said. Jiyong almost said no, but knowing how short this particular light was, he didn’t want to have to hurry with a sleeping girl on his shoulder. So he just smiled and nodded before turning and starting to cross.

 

He had barely made it halfway across the street when it happened. He heard the squeal of tires and looked up, frozen as he saw a pair of headlights turn the corner and barrel down on him. He turned and curled around protectively around Minhee, knowing there was no time to move even as he heard the screech of the brakes. He felt the impact and went flying. Somehow, Jiyong managed to twist himself so he landed on his back, Minhee above him in his embrace. As he opened his eyes, he heared people around him and the sound of a horn, but it all seemed so far away. He glanced down to see that Minhee was awake and crying, looking around confused, which caused him to look around as well. When he sat up, his heart stopped. Someone called out, crying for someone to call 119, but all Jiyong could focus on was the figure.

 

He and Minhee were safely five feet to the right of the accident. The impact he had felt? Had been Seunghyun. Jiyong heard a voice whisper the name over and over, but it took a minute to realize it was his voice. He stood up and stumbled over to the scene, Minhee still clutching to him, crying, but he couldn’t bring himself to touch the man in front of him. Even as someone tried to talk to him, to ask if he was hurt, if Minhee was hurt, Jiyong couldn’t bring himself to respond. He fell to his knees, trying to hold Minhee’s face against his shoulder as someone turned Seunghyun onto his back, trying to determine how injured he was. But Jiyong knew… it was unnecessary. His eyes had met those eyes a million times, but never anymore. That last time had been enough. He knew. He heard his own voice above the others, whispering Seunghyun’s name as he clutched Minhee to him, the little girl’s cries getting louder and causing a rushing sound to take over his hearing.

 

He kept telling himself no. That there was no way. Surely they should have had just one more minute, one last time to say I love you, to say goodbye. Something. Anything! But no. This wasn’t the movies. This wasn’t a story. There was no last second miracle. No last minute farewells. There would be no making up for the fight the day before, making sure the elder man knew just how much he loved and appreciated him. The thoughts of everything that would never be flew through his mind in a second, and at that moment, Jiyong felt his heart shatter. Even as he held onto the little girl who was trying to get out of his arms towards the body on the ground, he couldn’t bring himself to say anything, do anything, except hold onto her and call out that one important name as both his cries and Minhee’s blended almost into one.


“SEUNGHYUN!!!” “APPA!!!”