Children's Day- Part 2

Everything changes when you become an Appa

 

Present Day

“What are you thinking about?”


Jiyong turned from the window to the younger man next to him and blinked. “Hm?”

 

“You’ve been staring out that window for a while now,” Seungri said with a smile. “Must be some pretty interesting scenery.”

 

“Oh,” Jiyong shook his head as he glanced down. “I was just… remembering.”


“Ah.” He didn’t look up at the reply, but a smile formed on his face as he saw the other man reach over and gently grab his hand. “If you want, I can take Minhee to see him by myself.”

 

“No, I’m fine.” This time he did glance up, and the concerned look on Seungri’s face made his heart swell. “I promise. Plus,” he nodded across the aisle to where Minhee was currently sitting, regaling Youngbae and Daesung with some tale or another, “I promised her.”

 

“I understand,” the reply came accompanied by a sad smile. Jiyong stifled a small yawn as they continued to watch the animated retelling happening across the aisle. “Still sleepy?” He glanced at the man next to him and nodded. He heard a chuckle before he spoke “Well take a nap then. We still have a little while.”

 

“I probably shouldn’t, just in case Minhee-“

 

He was silenced as Seungri put a hand on the side of his face and moved him until he was resting against the younger man’s shoulder. “Hyung, hush.”

 

Jiyong scowled as he snuggled closer. “If I wasn’t so tired…” He cut himself off as he yawned.

 

“Yes, yes, I know. You can beat me later,” came the smug reply. Jiyong couldn’t help but smile as he fell asleep on his lover’s shoulder, the sound of his daughter’s happy voice and laughter helping lull him to sleep.

 

---

Flashback

Ah, his precious Minhee. Well, actually not his to be precise.

 

It had been four months since they had been discharged from the military, and Jiyong was living the good life. YG Ent had thrived while they were gone, so each of the boys was working on something besides being a part of BigBang for now. Jiyong was writing and producing music for other groups, Youngbae was teaching trainees and choreographing for the ‘new’ boy band (plus had a girlfriend), Daesung was looking into joining a new musical and was helping trainees with vocals, Seunghyun had just been offered a part in an upcoming drama, and Seungri was MCing two separate shows- 1 in Korea and 1 in Japan. Needless to say, they were all busy.

 

This would have been a problem for Jiyong and Seunghyun’s budding relationship except for one thing- a week after Seunghyun had decided they were dating, the two moved in together. Actually, all 5 guys had moved into Seunghyun’s place. They had tried living alone, but after being together for two straight years, living by themselves felt, well, lonely. So for the time being all 5 guys lived in one house. Which turned out to be a perfect cover for Jiyong and Seunghyun to ‘nurture’ their budding relationship.

 

Of course, there was one thing about this relationship that worried Jiyong. During his time in the military, and especially after, he kept thinking about that one thing that had plagued him during his days in Big Bang- how much he wanted a family. Being with Seunghyun didn’t change that, it just made it more… difficult. He had always thought he would get out of the military, meet a girl, fall in love, and start having kids. But now? Having kids seemed out of the question. That was, until she arrived.

 

It was a dreary, rainy Monday when the guys were all woken up by a visitor at the door. Normally they wouldn’t have answered since there had been an incident with a fan awhile back, but when he mentioned a name to Seunghyun, the man turned pale and ordered he be let in. What happened next shocked all of them.

 

“She’s… gone?”

 

“I’m afraid so.” Seunghyun sat down quickly, a look of bewilderment on his face. “Both her and her parents were killed in a car accident three months ago. I’m truly, very sorry,” the lawyer sitting across from him said.

 

“But wait, I’m confused,” Seungri spoke up from where he was standing behind the couch. “Hyung, isn’t that the girl you dated a while ago?” He nodded as he took a deep, shaky breath. “So… why are you contacting our hyung?” This time the question was directed to the suited man.

 

“This.” He pulled a large envelope out of his briefcase and set it on the coffee table. “This was left in my possession with orders to give it to Choi Seunghyun should anything happen to her.” He stood before taking out a business card and leaving it on top of the envelope. “Once you’re done, you can reach me at this number with your answer.”

 

“Answer?” Seunghyun finally spoke up again, confusion playing across his face. “About what?”

 

But the lawyer simply shook his head. “I cannot say.” He bowed. “I’ll see myself out.”

 

All five men watched him leave before Jiyong, who was sitting next to Seunghyun, spoke. “Do… do you want us to leave you alone while you read it?”

 

The older man shook his head as he reached for the envelope. “No, that’s alright. I just don’t understand…” He trailed off as he pulled out a stack of papers. Jiyong read along with him as he pursued the first page, a hand written letter, and he couldn’t contain the audible gasp that came out.

 

Dear Seunghyun-ssi,

 

If you are reading this, then I am very sorry. At this time both myself and my parents, the only family I had left, have left this world. And I though I promised I would keep this from you, I cannot anymore.

 

When we broke up in December of 2012, we both had our reasons. Your’s was because you loved someone else. I said I hated you being away all of the time, but that was a lie. My reason was much different. By that time, I was two months pregnant. I knew that a child would tarnish your reputation and you would feel obligated to stay with me for them, but I did not want to ruin your career. So I left and had our daughter on my own.

 

Her name is Minhee. She was born on June 17th, 2013, 7lbs even and 19 inches long. Even from the beginning she has had your eyes.

 

I never named you as her father, but I hope now that I both my parents and myself are gone you will be able to look after her. I understand with your career there may be difficulties. Even if you are only able to ensure she is well cared for and lives a happy life, I will be grateful.

 

Sincerely yours.

 

---

Present Day

 

“Appa? Appa, are you awake?”

 

“Hm?” Jiyong opened his eyes to find Minhee shaking his knee. “What’s wrong sweetheart?”

 

“The other appas fell asleep but…” She took her hand off his knee as she grabbed onto her skirt, twisting it as she looked down, a nervous habit of hers. “I couldn’t fall asleep on Youngbae appa’s lap. Can I sit with you?”

 

“Of course you can,” he said as he picked her up and sat her on his lap, hugging her up to him as he let out a yawn. The man next to him stirred before looking at the two of them, bleary eyed as he tried to wake up.

 

“Is something wrong?”

 

“Minhee couldn’t sleep.” She nodded in agreement as she buried her face in Jiyong’s chest.

 

“Aw, poor baby,” Seungri said, a frown on his face as he reached over and smoothed Minhee’s hair down. “Do you want me to move so you can sit next to Jiyong-appa?”

 

Even as he started to stand up, Minhee reached over and grabbed his arm. “No!” She said a little loudly, causing Seungri to sit back down. “I want to nap with both Jiyong-appa and Seungri-appa…” Jiyong glanced over to see Seungri’s face melt. The other man nodded as he pulled off his jacket and pulled out his pillow, handing it to the little girl who moved around as she put it on Jiyong’s lap. “Thank you, appa,” she said with a smile as she layed down, her head on the pillow, her feet in Seungri’s lap. Jiyong felt his heart melt again at the look on Seungri’s face. He was smiling down at their little girl, putting his jacket over her as a blanket and tucking it in around her.

 

The older man smiled as he turned and kissed the younger man’s cheek. He continued to smile as Seungri blushed. “What was that for?”

 

“Nothing,” he replied. The youngster grumbled about his ‘weird hyung’ before leaning his head on Jiyong’s shoulder. He let out a sigh as he leaned his head over as well, resting on Seungri’s as he thought about how different both Seunghyuns had reacted to Minhee.

 

---

Flashback

“Hyung, you can’t just leave her!”

 

It was the same day that the lawyer had shown up, only a few hours later. And currently? It was war. 3 versus 2. Well, actually 4 versus 1, but Jiyong had yet to truly speak up.

 

Seunghyun had been silent when he first read the letter, then as each member had been allowed, he had gradually grown paler and paler before standing up and pacing. “I can’t,” he finally announced. “I can’t adopt her.”

 

“Why not?” youngbae had immediately spoken up.

 

“What will people think?!” The oldest member his friend. “How can I suddenly adopt a little girl who has absolutely no relation to me? They’ll immediately jump to conclusions! Not to mention that I am just horrible with kids.”

 

“Hyung, that’s not true-“

 

“Don’t lie, Daesung,” he said as he his other friend. “We know that out of all of us I am the worst with kids.”

 

“But what if we helped you?” Seungri spoke up, his face bright with excitement.

 

“No,” Seunghyun said again, shaking his head as he continued to pace. “I’ll… I don’t know, send money or something. But I can’t take her in. Everything changes if you become a father.”

 

At that point the argument started. Daesung, Youngbae, and Seungri couldn’t believe Seunghyun would just leave his daughter in an orphanage. Since he was the only family she had left in the world, it was his duty to take her in. He kept denying it, saying that it would be too suspicious and he would have no time with the drama, not to mention that his mother and sister would figure it out and he would never live it down. Finally, he turned to his boyfriend, hoping for some support.

 

“Jiyong-ah, you understand, right?”

 

The leader stayed on the couch, staring at the paperwork and thinking. The others remained silent before he spoke up. “I’ll adopt her.”

 

“You’ll what?!”

 

“Well, I think we should first go visit her, but…” He looked over the paperwork again, figures and thoughts running through his head like mad. “I think that would work out perfect.”

 

“But… why?” seunghyun asked, sounding, well, disappointed.

 

“Out of all of the scenarios, I think it would work best that way.” When the others continued to stare at him he sighed and leaned back before ticking off his reasons on his fingers. “First, I can produce music from here and go to the studio only the bare minimum amount of time necessary, so I can be here for her as she gets used to us and grows up. Second, I have enough money to pay off anyone that might ask questions since we all know something like that is bound to happen. Third, I’m already known as a playboy, so if people start spreading rumors about who she might be… it won’t hurt me as much as it would hurt hyung. And last, you all know how much I’ve wanted a family, right?” When the others nodded he smiled and shrugged. “And so does everyone else. I can just say that returning from the military made me realize just how much I wanted to start that family, and since I had the means, I decided providing for a child who has no family seemed perfect. In fact,” he said as he sat up, an idea forming in his head, “I bet we can set it up so we ‘met’ her through Tablo-hyung.” The others looked at him confused before he stood up and got his phone from the kitchen where he had left it, talking as he walked. “That angels foundation. For adopting children. It would be perfect.”

 

And two weeks later? It was all arranged. Tablo and his wife were shooting another service announcement and Big Bang would be attending as well in order to take part and show their support. This time the service announcement was focusing on older children instead of babies and one of those children just happened to be a little girl by the name of Minhee.

 

The photographer kept assuring them they had no reason to be nervous, and they could just treat this like any other photoshoot, but anyone could tell from looking that Big Bang definitely had the jitters. The guys had yet to officially meet the 4 year old, and all of them were varying degrees of nervous. Seunghyun was terrified, Youngbae and the two maknaes were excited, while Jiyong was both. Would she like them? Would she start crying if they tried to hold her? Did she look like Seunghyun? Could she talk well? Would she be afraid of them?

 

He moved closer to his boyfriend and discreetly took hold of his hand as Tablo and his wife showed up, announcing that the children would be here in just a minute. “You alright?”

 

“Do I look alright?” came the muttered reply. When Jiyong glanced up, he could tell from the look in his hyung’s eyes that he was not handling this as well as the others.

 

“Hyung,” the shorter man said. He waited until they made eye contact before he continued. “Don’t worry,” he said with a smile. “Everything will work out, okay?” He reached up and held the other man’s face in place, making sure they maintained eye contact, until finally he let out a sigh and seemed to relax. At least a little.

 

“If you say so,” was the half-hearted reply he got.

 

“I do.” A chuckle came from the older man as they both finally smiled.

 

“Hello!” They heard a cheery voice call from behind them and turned to see two women leading in 5 small children behind them. They quickly exchanged greetings and bows before gesturing to the 3 girls and 2 boys behind them. “Children, can you say hello?” There were a few small, quiet “Hello”s that came from the group before they were introduced individually.

 

“And this,” the older lady smiled as she brought forward the last child, “is Minhee.” The boys exchanged glances before Jiyong finally kneeled down.

 

“Hi, Minhee,” he said with a smile and a wave, “my name is Jiyong.” When she finally caught his eyes and smiled, he felt his heart melt. Her straight black hair, slightly chubby cheeks, and those very familiar eyes made him grin even more as she waved back and answered with a shy “Hello.” It only took a glance up at the others to know they felt the same as he did. But it was they look on Seunghyun’s face- a mixture of worry, fear, and love- that convinced him. All five boys were in love with this beautiful angel.

 

---

Present Day

“Yo, Jiyong.” He once again felt someone shaking his shoulder. He opened his eyes from his cat nap to see Youngbae smile. “Almost our stop,” he continued in a quiet voice. Jiyong almost asked why his friend was whispering before he felt movement and glanced down. Minhee was asleep on his lap still, curled up under Seungri’s jacket.

 

Jiyong nodded as he turned to the man next to him. “Seungri?” He whispered as Youngbae started collecting their items from the luggage racks and handed them down to the still sleepy looking Daesung. “Babe, it’s time to wake up.”

 

Seungri gave a yawn as he opened his eyes and glanced around. “Are we there?” He said a little too loud before he quickly covered his mouth and glanced down, remembering the sleeping child.

 

Luckily she was still asleep as Jiyong answered. “Yeah. Do you think you three could handle the stuff? I’d rather not wake her yet.”

 

“Sure,” he replied as he gently moved their daughter’s feet and stood up.

 

Jiyong shifted her around as he stood up, remarking quietly just how heavy she was getting compared to when she first arrived. Daesung laughed as the train came to a stop. “That’s what happens with kids, hyung.” The older man simply shot him a glare, trying to keep people from jostling him and his cargo as they exited the train.

 

“Appa?” He heard a quiet voice and looked down to see Minhee yawning and rubbing her eyes with one hand, the other around his neck.

 

“Good morning, sleepy,” he said with a smile.

 

She giggled before looking around. “Where are we?”

 

“We’re going to catch the bus now,” Seungri replied from next to her. “Do you remember from last time?”

 

Minhee grinned and nodded. “Uh-huh! I brought Seunghyun-appa a present!”

 

“You did?” Youngbae asked as they finally reached the bus stop. “When was that?”

 

“At Christmas time,” she replied, continuing to grin. “Seungri-appa brought me.”

 

Youngbae glanced at me, but I pretended to be too absorbed in reading the bus map to notice. Luckily, Seungri spoke up. “I brought Minhee to see Seunghyun-hyung around Christmas time, but Jiyong-ah was feeling sick.”

 

Minhee frowned as she gave Jiyong’s cheek a comforting pat. “Appa was sick, but we made soup and he felt better!”

 

Jiyong smiled at her and she smiled back. “That’s right.”

 

“And Seunghyun-appa was okay that Jiyong-appa didn’t visit,” Minhee spoke up again. Before anyone could comment she started bouncing up and down in Jiyong’s arms. “The bus is here, the bus is here!” She wiggled until Jiyong set her down, but quickly grabbed back onto his arm, pulling him towards the bus.

 

“I’m coming,” he said with a small smile. The others exchanged a look behind his back before following the two onto the bus, the last step of their journey.

 

---

Flashback

Jiyong took a deep breath before he smiled at the radio DJ across from him. “That’s right,” he nodded. “I did have a special announcement I wanted to make today.”

 

“Well GD, I am pretty sure our listeners are ready. Go ahead.”

 

He cleared his throat before he started. “I know there are many fans who might be disappointed to hear this, but we decided it was best that I announce it sooner rather than later. As of today, Big Bang will be continuing with their solo activities, but any group activities in the future seem highly unlikely.”

 

The radio DJ quickly started sputtering. “Wha- but why? Sorry, Jiyong-ssi, but did something happen?”

 

“No, no,” he quickly replied with a smile. “Nothing bad. Something very, very good actually.” When the DJ made a motion for him to continue, he took a calming breath before he started up again. “As most people know, we recently returned from serving our country around 5 months back.”

 

“Right.”

 

“While we were away, I realized that something was missing. I had always wanted to have a family and be a father, but I was waiting for the right girl to come along.”

 

“Omo, Jiyong-ssi…” the female DJ spoke up. “Are you confessing your love over the radio?”

 

Jiyong laughed at the startled expressions around him. “A little. I will admit that I finally believe I met the right girl. Sort of,” he laughed again. “I wanted to give back to those who were not fortunate enough to have a loving family like I did, so the other guys and I went and helped out Tablo-hyung with a service announcement photoshoot.”

 

“Oh yes, we’ve seen those pictures around. You looked very fatherly in yours.”

 

“Thank you,” Jiyong replied with a small bow of his head. “It was while we were there that I met her, actually.” He grinned as the faces around him became even more shocked. “So, I wanted to announce to everyone that I will finally be starting my own family. Her name is Minhee, she is 4 years old, and as of today she is now officially my daughter.”

 

Surprisingly, the media and fans took the news much better than anyone, even Jiyong, had thought they would. Yes, there were many who were upset, and some netizens even went so far as to ask why Jiyong was adopting a little girl instead of a boy. It took a few days of calming him down before the others convinced him to ignore the insinuation remarks and not track their makers down. But having a child in the house also helped keep his mind off of things like that.

 

It had taken a little bit of time to convince YG, but after they finally told him the truth, he agreed on the condition that he and Tablo were allowed to visit and critique if they felt it was necessary. Since they were experienced fathers, they felt it was only right to ensure she was being taken care of well. And once they met Minhee, they were just as head over heels with her as the boys were. Both men’s wives, as well as the girls of 2NE1, the new girl group members, and even Gummy, agreed to stop in and help anytime they needed it.

 

In fact, Minhee didn't just gain an appa when she was adopted. She gained 5 appas and an entire entertainment agency full of aunts, uncles, and older siblings. Within the first two weeks of officially being Kwon Minhee, she also became known as YG’s Minhee. It started at the end of that first week when Jiyong had to take her with him to deal with a problem at the studio. After that, seeing her in the building, either sitting in on and listening to a recording, watching a dance lesson, or just following any of the BigBang or 2NE1 members around at the studio, became an almost daily occurrence.

 

And so it came to pass that six months after leaving the military, Choi Seunghyun and Kwon Jiyong became Seunghyun-appa and Jiyong-appa. And along with Youngbae-appa, Daesung-appa, and Seungri-appa, their six member family was complete.