CHAPTER 6: Then and Now

A Manly Bridesmaid

2 Years Later…

Let’s take a look at Taemin…

“KIM KIBUM!!!” Taemin yelled at the top of his lungs as he stared at the photos his colleague had taken.

“What? What is it now?!” Key replied impatiently.

Kim Kibum/ Key is Taemin’s friend, colleague, and co-founder of Taemin’s all-in-catering service.

Taemin glared at the monitor as he browsed through the photographs. Picture after picture, it was of girls and only the girls.

They were all pictures of the girls. The girls who had attended a birthday party they recently catered for.

“I thought my shots were pretty great.” Key remarked as Taemin rubbed his forehead.

“For the love of G--, you always take shots of only the girls!” Taemin complained.

“Oh, you expect me to take pictures of those annoying kids and gossip-y old ladies?!” Key snarled.

Taemin could only shake his head.

“Sometimes I wonder why I ever agreed working with you.” Taemin mumbled. “It’s a good thing I took a few photos of my own.”

“Pfft, with that old busted camera of yours?!” Key laughed. “The record light doesn’t even work anymore!”

“Call it what you want, but I still take good shots with it.” Taemin reflected as he looked at the camera in topic.

It was the camera that Taemin decided to buy when he came back to Korea, broken-hearted. He thought to himself that it would somehow help him move on. He thought of the camera as his shield. His shield from getting hurt that badly again.

“Why don’t you just buy a new one?” Key asked. “Our business is flourishing, so why settle for that?” he continued.

“I don’t know, I guess I’m attached to it.” Taemin answered.

“Jesus Christ, you still haven’t gotten over that Chanmi girl! It’s been 2 years!” Key elbowed the latter.

“Tch, shut up.” Taemin felt hurt.

“Face it man, maybe she just wasn’t the one for you.” Key patted the boy.

Taemin looked to the other direction and pushed back the memories.

Just then, an alarm sounded.

“Ah! It’s time for that kid’s 16th birthday party! Let’s go! Everything’s already there! So we only have to set up.” Key changed the topic.

Taemin nodded and followed.

At the sight, all the tables were already set and balloons flooded the area. The food was already on display and the paper plates plus the utensils were all ready.

Key hurried onto the food table to check on things while Taemin reassured the equipment.

“Oh, thank you for taking care of everything! Our daughter loved everything. We’ll be sure to recommend you to all our friends!” the lady who appeared to be the birthday-girl’s mom praised Taemin.

“Gomawo, ma’am! I’m glad our services were to your liking.” Taemin bowed and smiled at her.

After a few more minutes, and finishing of the preparations, the program started.

Taemin and Key stood by the end of the stairs awaiting the descend of the girl.

As the girl emerged, murmurs of praise and awe were heard from behind and Key started taking the pictures.

“Yah, she’s pretty!” Key remarked.

Taemin nudged him. “She’s 16!” he scolded.

“So? Age so doesn’t matter.” Key raised a brow and continued taking photos.

Taemin turned and took pictures of everything else since Key was so focused

He liked having his own thing. His catering service kept him busy and alive. After the Chanmi incident, Taemin felt cynical about the whole love concept so no one ever did fill the space Chanmi left in his life/heart.

Key flashed on as the girl made her way through the crowd.

“Key, I’m going to check on the cake. You can handle this right?” Taemin tapped the pre occupied guy.

“Y-yeah… I got this.” Key muttered without even looking at Taemin.

“Don’t take shot of only girls, will you?” he reminded before he walked away.

Taemin took a few more shots of the guests and the venue before he reached the back part of the place where the cake was.

“Uh, the cake’s already taken care of, sir.” A guy (one of Taemin’s employees) reassured him.

“That’s great, I’ll just see if it’s ready to come out now.” Taemin smiled at the man.

The boy nodded and let Taemin pass.

Taemin looked up as he marveled at the unusually tall cake. The cake had 6 tiers. Six tiers of sheer pink frosting. What did you expect? It was a girl’s 16th birthday!

Taemin chuckled to himself as he inspected the cake.

“Hm~ Doesn’t she look peerrrfeecct?!” the chef emerged.

Ironically, the chef had a French accent.

Taemin winced. “It’s exactly as how the birthday girl wanted it.”

Frankly, it irritated Taemin whenever he talks to his chef. Don’t get him wrong. Taemin thinks that Jeanne is a great chef! He’s been Taemin’s chef ever since he started. But his accent…His mere accent hurt him. It gave him sudden shots of pain whenever he hears anything French. Taemin always pushes Key to talk to him instead. Jeanne has always found it odd but he didn’t mind.

“I-I guess I’ll go back now. Please do tell the boys to bring the cake out in a few moments?” Taemin stated and instantly left the room.

“What’s wrong? Was Jeanne there?” Key instinctively asked as he saw his friend’s facial expression.

Taemin just smiled him off.

“Cut the man some slack. He doesn’t know.” Key just joked to lighten up the mood.

The party went on for a few more hours. It went off without a hitch. Taemin prides himself with that. Every even he plans ends up a success. That was why he has so many clients. Even Key finds his work ethics amazing. Taemin spends hours and on just making sure everything is handled so the event goes smoothly. He focuses on every detail the clients want so they are satisfied. He has never failed at it. Taemin likes getting distracted, even if it means working all the time.

Key had always set him up on dates but it always ends up in a tragedy. After all the blind dates, even Kim Kibum was on the verge on giving up on Taemin. It was just lucky for Taemin that someone still wants him to be happy.

NEXT DAY

At the headquarters (that’s what they call their shop), Taemin was already busy browsing on the computer for the photos they had taken yesterday. The mother wanted the prints this afternoon, so Taemin got right on it.

“Tch, photos of nothing but girls again…” he said under his breath as he looked at Key’s portfolio.

Then all of a sudden, the door burst open and Key entered with a breathing pattern of someone who’s been running.

“DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR FOR ANYONE.” Key said in between his breaths as he leaned on the door.

Taemin raised an eyebrow. “What is it now?”

“Remember that girl in that wedding a week ago?” Key held onto his chest as he approached Taemin.

“What about her?” Taemin replied as he crossed his arms and gave Key his full attention.

“Turns out, she started stalking me.” Key stated and he sat himself down on one of the chairs.

“So? I thought you liked her? Does it matter if she stalks you?” Taemin chuckled.

“Lee Taemin…” Key began as he started walking towards him and stared at him.         “… You are a cold son of a .” and gave him a smack in the head.

“Besides, at least I’m looking for my girl.” Key strolled to the window with his hands on his waist.

Taemin was still bitter about Key hitting him on the head.

“Speak for yourself.” Taemin was rubbing his head. “You’ve got a stalker. For all we know, she might be spying on you right now as you stand by that window.”

“Pfft, no, she’s not.” Key’s voice shook as he took a discrete step away from the window.

“How would you know?” Taemin threatened.

The phone started to ring.

“She might even have hidden cameras here!” Taemin stated before walking towards the phone.

Key’s eyes widen and he laughed nervously.

“LK’s All-In Catering Service, Taemin speaking.” Taemin properly answered.

“Taemin? Lee Taemin?!” The voice on the other line sounded unusually excited.

“Uhm, yes. Speaking.” Taemin began to feel curious.

“It’s Jongin! Kim Jongin! God, I can’t believe it! How’ve you been!” the voice rejoiced.


It's the middle of the night right now... I just wanted to leave this update. Happy reading everyone! :D