CHAPTER 3: Bumped Into One Another

A Manly Bridesmaid

Ignoring every bit of beautiful scenery in Paris, Kai kept his mind on the pretty girl he saw at the square. Another thing was that she somehow looked Korean! “How could that be? Maybe she has Korean roots!”

Kai threw more and more thoughts inside his head as the car screeched to a hault.

“Get out, hurry now.” His dad pulled him right out of his daydream.

Kai looked up the tall building and entered.

KIM TRAVEL AND TOURS the sign read.

“Welcome Mr. Kim!” the doorman said fluently in Korean. With that, he also bowed to Kai.

“Now, is everyone present?” Kai’s dad asked the receptionist.

“Yes sir, all except for one. Uh, she’s on her way though.”

“Tell her to hurry. The assembly will begin.”

“Yes sir.”

Kai and his dad took the elevator and walked to the huge conference room.

In only a few minutes, all the employees had seated themselves in the enormous table anticipating the big announcement.

Kai on the other hand had his chin resting on his palm, dazed. In an attempt to wake him up, his dad elbowed his arm causing Kai to lose his balance and finally gain ‘consciousness’.

“Not cool, Dad.”

“Heh, then wake up.”

Looking at the room, Kai noticed that it was now full.

“Alright, I guess we can begin the meeting?” his dad started.

Right then, the door slowly and carefully opened. It revealed a really tired-looking girl who was still panting.

 Luckily, the boss didn’t notice.

It was Chanmi.

She had entered the room with extreme care and positioned herself with the other employees standing at the back.

Kai caught what had just happened and fixed his eyes on her, as she greeted the person she stood next to, and as she tried to fix her messy hair.

He couldn’t help but stare.

“Now, I introduce my son, Jongin.” His dad announced.

Kai was still unaware and captured by Chanmi’s beauty.

His dad hit his shoulder and motioned for him to stand up.

So Kai did.

Kai rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment and bowed to everyone.

“A-annyeong hasaeyo, choneun Jongin imnida.” He smiled.

The lot clapped and all smiled back. Kai took the chance to look for Chanmi, and there she was….

Clapping along with that lovely smile on her face.

But noticeably after, her mood had changed. Chanmi realized that she was clapping for the guy who had approached her earlier.

Her clap got slower and her face was flushed. She managed a very uncomfortable smile, but she was forced to stare at the ground after.

“Thank you all for coming. This about concludes our meeting.” Kai’s dad stated.

The employees gradually exited the room while others were still fixing up the papers they had used during the meeting.

The whole room was a whole clutter of formally dressed people now. Kai couldn’t find/see Chanmi.

She was out of sight.

Jongin looked left and right and even tried to push through the thick clot of people.

But as he did, his hunt was fruitless.

She was gone.

Kai stood in the middle of the room with a deflated spirit.

“Kai-ah! Let’s go.” His father beckoned.

With his head turned down, he followed.

“Ah! Ow! Sheesh!” a female voice wailed in pain.

“Oh my god! Oh, mian. Mian, are you alright.” Kai apologized quickly and assisted the girl who he had knocked down.

“I’m fine.” She replied.

But after she had finished rubbing on her head. She looked up to see the last person she wanted to see.

“You!” they said in unison.

“He he, I-I better get going.” Chanmi broke off.

“Wait!” Kai held on to her hand.

“Would you at least give me a chance, please?” he begged.

Seeing that she had no way out of this, Chanmi shook her head and turned to him, “Of course.” She sighed.

Just like that, a ray of light seem to have hit Jongin right in the face.

“Meet me at the square tonight at 7:30, okay?” Kai requested.

Chanmi was about to decline politely but the guy had already darted off to follow his dad.

“Geez, he could’ve at least offered to pick me up instead. Wait, what am I saying?!” she thought to herself.

Chanmi shook her head and walked to her desk.

“Heeeyy~ do you know the chairman’s son?”  her friend/Sungjin/the receptionist hooked her arm into hers.

“What? No. I just met him at the square this morning.” Chanmi reasoned.

“Hm, aaarree yoouu interested?” Sungjin sang as she walked with her.

“Pfft. No. I’m not interested in guys at the moment.” Chanmi bitterly stated and thought back to her previous experience with Taemin.

“Well alright. I gotta get back to work but keep me in the loop, okay?” she trailed off.

Chanmi waved goodbye and shook her head.

BACK TO JONGIN…

“Kai-ah, when you get back to the hotel you can do what you like for the time being. I’m going to a meeting with a couple of new investors.” His dad spoke as he was scrolling down on his phone.

“Well that’s new.” Kai remarked. “No curfew?!” he continued.

The boy got smacked in the head.

“Hey! That’s child abuse!” Jongin demanded.

“You’re not a child anymore, idiot. And of course you have your usual curfew.” His dad replied.

“Tch, alright. Alright.” Kai diverted his thoughts to Chanmi.

“Don’t order so much room service like the last time, you fickler!” his dad remarked as Kai was getting off the car.

 

THAT NIGHT

“7:15” Kai’s wristwatch read as he kept checking it every 10 seconds.

He looked around and scanned the busy bodies walking about in the square.

Paris is deed the city of light. Everything looked even better at night. The Eifel Tower was the best part. It was visible in any part of the city and illuminated the beauty of the country.

Then as he was busy looking at the lights, his eyes were caught by the next most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

There she was.


For the special subscriber who begged for an update. :D