CHAPTER 7: Blast From the Past

A Manly Bridesmaid

“Kai?! Is that you?! Oh, man it’s been a while! What’ve you been up to?!” Taemin was now feeling the same excitement.

“I can’t believe it! I haven’t seen you in ages! You have a catering service of your own now!” Kai happily chatted.

“Well yeah. It’s kind of what I’ve always wanted. Are you in town? How’d you get this number?” Taemin felt more comfortable as he talked through.

“Yeah! I’m back, dude! I got this number from a friend. Uh, he’s the one who got married a month ago? I don’t know if you remember.”

“I think I do. But hey! Why didn’t you tell me you were in town!? What are you here for anyway?” Taemin responded.

“Okay, okay…Are you ready?” Kai excitedly began.

Taemin laughed as he turned to look at Key, only to see him standing on the table looking at the light fixtures. Taemin gave Key a look and made a face. Key noticed that he was looking so he just made a hand gesture of buzzing off.

“Oh, uh... Yeah! ‘Course I am! Tell me!” Taemin went back to his conversation.

“I’M GETTING MARRIED!” Kai celebrated.

“You’re kidding! Are you serious! Congratulations, man!” Taemin felt genuinely happy for his dear friend.

“Thanks, Taemin!” Jongin said.

“So is this an invitation?” Taemin asked.

“Oh, man I’m sorry but no. Just kidding! I WANT YOU TO ARRANGE THE WHOLE THING! The wedding, the reception, everything!”

“Jinjja? You want me to be the planner?” Taemin felt really happy about planning his best friend’s wedding.

“Yeah, man! I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about you! Who else would be perfect enough to plan my wedding but my best friend?!” Kai said.

Taemin laughed. “When is it anyway?”

“In 2 months. Think you’re up to it?” Jongin happily challenged.

“Pfft, easy. I’ll take it.” Taemin stated.

“HAHA You show-off!” Kai giggled on the other line. “Alright, I have a thing right now, but I’ll keep in touch, okay? Thanks a lot man!”

“Alright.” And with that, Taemin hung up the phone.

“What was that about?” Key chimed as he was now standing on one of the chairs inspecting the bookshelf.

“It was my old friend Kai, he’s getting ma--..” he was cut off as he saw what Key was doing.

“What on earth are you doing?” he impatiently asked.

“I can’t take any risks! That girl’s dad was a cop! It’s not really hard for her to slip in and install cameras.” Key answered as he nervously looked in between the books.

“Tch, get down from that chair. That’s non sense!”

Key rolled his eyes and got down.

“So, what was that call about then?”

“It was Jongin. He’s getting married. He wants us to plan the whole thing.” Taemin smiled.

“Hmm… Jongin…Jongin….Jongin… Why does that name sound familiar? I think you’ve mentioned him to me before.” Key claimed.

“I’m not surprised you don’t remember. I HAVE told you about him. He’s my childhood friend.”

“Oh, yeah.” Key nodded off. “So, who’s the lucky girl?” he added.

“Huh, oh yeah. I forgot to ask.” Taemin tilted his head. “It doesn’t matter, I’ll ask when we officially have the meeting.”

“Uhm, guys you have a client!” the bubbly receptionists poked her head though the door.

“Oh, uh let them in!” Taemin acknowledged so the girl invited the client inside.

It was a lady, not later than 30.

“Welcome, ma’am! What can we do for you?” Key greeted.

The meeting went for at least 2 hours and a half. The lady had a lot to say because it was her parent’s 60th anniversary so she wanted to give them a party.

But all the while, Taemin couldn’t get rid of his sudden excitement about planning his best friend’s wedding. He thought about how they would first catch up on each other’s lives and see what they’ve both been up to. He was genuinely happy for Jongin because he never thought that he would actually get married before him. Taemin knew Kai as the carefree guy. He barely kept a girlfriend when they were in high school so Taemin was very excited.

“We’ll be sure to comply to your requests, Ma’am. Thanks again!” Taemin and Key bowed to the lady as she exited the room.

“Wow, 60 years of marriage. You think you can handle that?” Key folded his arms and turned to Taemin.

“It’s easy if you’re with the one you really love.” Taemin responded carelessly.

“Yes, and that is why I think you should really go to that date I arranged for you tonight!” Key swung his arm around the latter.

Taemin’s eyebrows met and he sneered at Key. “Another?! How do you get them so fast?! And where do you find the girls anyway?”

“I am a man of many skills, Taemin. Do not question my ways for I might someday be the key to helping you avoid a long miserable life.” Key explained as he examined some of the papers lying on the desk.

“I think I already have that. Besides, I’m busy. So I can’t.” Taemin shook his head.

“Nope. No you’re not. I know your schedule. Heck, I MAKE your schedule. You’ve got nothing. You’re totally free tonight.” Key smiled.

“No. You cannot force me into one of your demented plans of a date again.” Taemin kept shaking his head.

LATER THAT NIGHT

Taemin sat opposite a pretty girl in a beautiful restaurant inside a mall.

“T-that sounds very interesting!” he faked a comment. He still wasn’t exactly sure how Key got him to do this, but he was there.

“Right? I mean, vegetarians have much more to tell than all those mindless meat-eaters!” the girl continued. “I’m just glad, you’re on my side.” She smiled.

Taemin flashed a polite smile in return and drank his water.

The night went on painfully as Taemin pretended to listen to the girl’s rant about how vegetarians are much better than vegans.

“Goodbye!” Taemin bid her goodbye as they exited the restaurant.

Taemin looked at his watch, ‘9:00’ it read. “Man, that’s 3 hours wasted.” He sighed.

He took a quick look around before deciding to go home but something caught his eye. Far off, near the infant clothing section, stood a girl. A very familiar girl. Taemin blinked as his gaze followed the girl.

He thought hard. Then it struck him.

The girl smiled.

It was Chanmi.

There was another girl standing beside her, so Taemin thought it was her friend. They seemed to be amused by the baby clothes in front of them.

Taemin’s mind was at once a big mess. He didn’t know what to do so he forced himself to walk away and just go home. Never looking back, he just walked past the people and hurried home, feeling so confused.

“It can’t be… It can’t be her… She can’t be here… She must’ve just really looked like Chanmi… Chanmi’s not here… She’s not…” he mumbled to himself.

He kept convincing himself that it wasn’t the girl he had fallen in love with because it was all too painful. No. He forced it in his mind. It wasn’t her.

Then as he got home, he took out his phone and called Key right away.

“Oh, hey! How was the date? Did you take her home?” Key asked nonchalantly.

“Wha-No, you !” Taemin scolded him.

“Tch, then why are you calling?” Key asked annoyed.

“I-I think I saw her.” Taemin stuttered.

“Well of course you saw her, she was your date! What is wrong with you?” Key sounded impatient.

“No, I saw her.” Taemin put more emphasis on his point.

“Her? What are you talking about her…” Key mumbled, then he gasped. “OOOHHHH! Her! Her, her?! As in her?!” the conversation sounded ridiculous.

“Y-yeah. I think I did.” Taemin sounded helpless.

“You can’t say you think you saw her. It’s either you did or you didn’t!”

“Well I didn’t see well. It was pretty far. I wasn’t sure.” Taemin said as he was in front of the fridge reaching for the carton of milk.

“WHY THE DIDN’T YOU GET A CLOSER LOOK?!” Key probably had the phone’s mic right on his mouth.

“Are you crazy? Why should I? What if it was just some stranger who happened to look like her. And besides, she’s in France, remember?” Taemin gulped down the carton of milk.

“Put down the milk, Taemin. You’re a grown- man! You don’t need milk!” Key scolded.

Taemin was surprised at how he knew so he just put the carton back in the fridge.

“If you’re so sure that it wasn’t her, why do you sound so concerned about it?” Key stated.

“I-I’m not. I’m just well. I-It doesn’t happen a lot, so I was pretty shocked.” Taemin claimed.

“Idiot. I know you’re lying.”

“Tch, shut up.” With that, Taemin hung up on him.

Taemin barely got any sleep that night. He kept tossing and turning but his mind was racing. Images of the girl he saw at the mall kept flashing in his mind.


Before my internet runs dry, I'm going to leave an update!! Hehe, please keep reading and don't forget to leave a comment! Enjoy!!