CHAPTER 5: The Seine Bridge

A Manly Bridesmaid

Moments later, Kai was walking towards where Chanmi was sitting.

Chanmi was busy scooping down on her chocolate ice cream.

“Hey! Thanks for waiting.” Kai greeted as he sat and put his things down.

Chanmi swallowed the ice cream she had in and spoke, “You should eat something. We’ve been shopping all day.”

“Hm? Okay! I think I see a fried chicken stall there!” he stated excitedly and ran for the said stall like a child.

Kai came back with a tray full of fried chicken and a medium Coke.

“Don’t you think that’s a lot?” Chanmi remarked.

“Hm? No! Plus you’ll be helping me eat all this!” Jongin smiled.

Chanmi stared at the guy to see if he was serious but to her dismay, he was.

The two started at the pile and bit by bit, they were nearly done with it.

“Ugh, that’s it. I can’t have another bite.” Chanmi whined as she leaned back to her chair.

“I don’t understand how you can eat all that!” she added.

“You can never have enough of your favorite!” Jongin happily replied.

Chanmi watched as the guy dug through the pile and finally finished.

“Ah~ that was delicious!”

Chanmi slowly shook her head and chuckled.

“So, I think I have enough clothes. Where do you want to go next? Let’s do something you want!” Kai kindly stated.

The sentence took Chanmi by surprise. “Hm? Oh, well I guess we can always go to the Seine bridge?” she uttered.

“Let’s go then!” he happily answered.

On the cab ride, Jongin spoke, “Ah, Chanmi-ah I just have to drop these off at the hotel room.” He held up the paper bags.

The cab stopped in front of the hotel.

“Do you want to come up and see the room? It’s really great.” Kai eagerly asked.

“A-anni, I’ll just wait here.” She smiled.

“Oh, okay, I’ll be quick then!” he cheerfully skipped and darted for the elevator.

Chanmi’s eyes wandered from here to there until they stopped at one thing. She stared at the flower stand by the corner. Red roses dominated the scene. Beautiful red roses were in full bloom and they looked exquisite.

She was once again reminded of Lee Taemin and his efforts of trying to be with her. She regretted having broken his heart. Taemin was kind, gentle, smart, and funny. Chanmi imagined that he would’ve probably moved on, so she felt worse. There she was still feeling blue about the guy who she loved but was now gone.

A tear rolled down her cheek.

“Chanmi-ah…” Jongin trailed off.

Chanmi quickly wiped her cheeks and looked up at him.

“Th-there was something in my eye…” Chanmi denied the tears.

She kept her head down and rubbed her eyes.

Jongin embraced her. He held her in his arms and he said, “Don’t try to stop them, let your tears flow. At least some of the pain can go away.”

With that, Chanmi sobbed harder. She cried the tears that were held back for so long. Chanmi held onto Kai for strength because she was weak.

After letting her cry for a few more moments and hearing that Chanmi was sniffing up her last tears, Kai tried to look at her to see if she had stopped.

“See? It feels better when you just let your tears flow.” He said as he brushed away portions of her hair that was blocking her face.

“When my mom fell ill, she made me promise not to cry.” He began. “I was 11 when she died.”

“I-I’m s-sorry.” Chanmi sobbed in between her words.

Kai winced but he continued. “At the funeral, our relatives always said that I had to be a strong boy. They all said that the fact that I wasn’t crying was amazing. Dad noticed it too.”

Jongin took in a deep breath, “But that night, once I was alone in my room, I cried. I cried so much, it was morning when I finally stopped. I thought I would’ve died of dehydration because of all the liquid I’d lost!”

Chanmi gave a small giggle.

“And then there was a knock at my door….”

“It was my dad. It turned out he was outside my door the whole night, just sitting out there, crying with me. He gave me a glass of water and said that it’s always alright to cry.”

Jongin scratched his head and smiled at Chanmi.

“I-I don’t know how that helps but I really just needed to get that out. I-I’m sorry.” He uttered.

Chanmi shook her head and replied, “N-no. Don’t be sorry. How about we go to that bridge? Maybe that can cheer us up?”

Kai nodded and they walked to the bridge.

(Here is a photo of the bridge. It’s just so you guys can appreciate how beautiful it really is! :D)

“It’s beautiful.” Kai exclaimed. “But why are there padlocks here?” he touched one of the locks.

“It’s the story of the Seine Bridge. Lovers put the lock on the railings and toss the key into the river as a sign of their devotion. Artists, writers, and families also go by the bridge for inspiration or simply to find love.” Chanmi reflected as she ran her fingers on the railings where hundreds of padlocks were attached.

“That sounds really cool. But we have something like this in Korea too, right?” Kai remarked as he was still captivated by the beauty of the scene and the bridge itself.

“Yeah but some have committed suicides here too.” Chanmi cheerfully added.

Jongin’s atmosphere was instantly disrupted.

“Aiissshh… You ruined the moment!” Jongin laughed.

“Well it’s true!” Chanmi laughed.

“Hm, at least you’re laughing again.” Kai said. “Wait here.” He dashed off.

He came back with something in his hand.

“What is that?” Chanmi pointed at it.

Kai opened his hand and revealed that he had a padlock and its key in his hand.

“I want to do something, and I sort of need your help.” He stated as he fiddled with the lock to crack it open with the key.

Once the padlock was open, he held it up and spoke, “Kwon Chanmi, will you from this day on accept me, Kim Jongin, into your life and part of your life, for I will make sure to keep you happy, protect you from harm or any painful memories, and to make sure that you keep a loving smile on your face.”

Kai’s statement put Chanmi back to tears. She sobbed but she smiled at the guy holding up the pretty padlock.

“YES, KIM JONGIN!” she happily replied.

Kai’s face lit up and his smile reached from ear to ear. He then hooked the padlock into one of the wire in the railings and held it tight to lock it in.

“Will you do the honors?” he handed the key to Chanmi.

“To suicides and crying! Hopefully there will be none of that in the future!” Chanmi laughed as she tossed the key in to the river.

Jongin laughed hard at what the girl had said.

“I guess coming to the bridge was a great idea.” Chanmi uttered as she turned to Kai.

“Thanks for bringing me here, Chanmi.” He simply smiled.

“This is one of Paris’ best destinations, as a tour guide it would be a crime not to bring you here.” Chanmi explained as they both leaned on the railings.

“And what a great tour guide you are!” he said.

“It was my pleasure for bringing you to where people fall in love….” Chanmi started.

Kai looked up at her words in anticipation.

“…And take their own lives!” Chanmi laughed.

“Aish, you have to stop doing that! Don’t make moments seem so dim!” Jongin laughed along.

A/N: Do you guys want to fast forward already? I think it’s time… :) 


Enjoy reading and please support the story! :D