What's Your Age?

Love Works Wonders

VIII.

 

 

Friday afternoon, Minho sat in his classroom putting grades into the grade book on his laptop. He sat back in his chair letting out a refreshed sigh. He’s finished and he’s tired. Very tired and is very glad that it’s Friday. He shuts his laptop and leans his head back.

His eyes shut for a couple of seconds but shoots them open when he hears a knock at the door. It slides open and someone speaks: “Mr. Choi?”

Minho sits up. “Come in,”

In comes in Minho’s roommate, Kim Jonghyun. He’s holding two take-out boxes that are probably from a Chinese restaurant – Jonghyun knows how much Minho adores their food.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Minho questions as Jonghyun sets the boxes down and grabs a stool to sit on.

“To surprise you,” Jonghyun answers. “You’re surprised aren’t you?” He hands him chopsticks. “I got you your favorite, so dig in.”

Minho opens up his box and is welcomed by the sweet smell of orange chicken and noodles.

“Jonghyun, do you know that I love you?” He grins as he slurps up his noodles.

Jonghyun nods, “Yeah, I know, you tell me that every time I feed you.”

Minho stops eating to think of a time he told Jonghyun he loved with other than when he fed him. He came up with absolutely nothing. Minho laughs, “You’re right.”

After the laughing died down, Jonghyun spoke up. “So what are you doing tonight?”

“Uh, there’s a party I have to attend tonight,” he explains. Mr. Kim was hosting some kind of fancy family reunion and Minho’s purpose of being there was to keep out any unwanted visitors.

“Party?” Jonghyun’s ears perk up, almost like a dog. “Can I come?”

“No,” Minho says immediately.

“Come on,” He whines. “You know I love parties.” Jonghyun sticks out his bottom lip and tries his hardest to persuade Minho with his adorable baby face.

Minho sighs. “It isn’t that kind of party, Jonghyun…”

Why does this twenty-nine year old man before him still act as if he’s nine? Still, he gives in because he knows that Jonghyun would probably follow him anyways.

“Okay fine,” Minho says. He just wants to eat, go home, take a nap, shower, and then get ready for the family reunion. “But it’s formal. And I swear to God if you embarrass me--”

“No, I promise I won’t. I swear.” He answers. “What time does this party – formal party start?”

“I’ll let you know.” Minho burps as he throws his now-empty take out box into the trash.

 

. . . . . . . .

 

Around nine o’ clock at night, Kibum had just finished adjusting his bow-tie. A soft knock sounded at the door and his mother soon stepped in.

“Hey sweetie,” she smiled, approaching her gorgeous seventeen year old son. “You look amazing.”

“Thanks mom,” he replied. He wasn’t really into these family reunions because of the simple fact that the majority of his cousins were ignorant s who annoyed the hell out of him. They didn’t like him either but the feelings mutual so it doesn’t really matter to him.

His mother’s smile is so wide and Kibum feels that she is waiting for him to compliment her dress. However he quickly realizes that that isn’t the case when she starts speaking, “I have someone I’d like you to meet.” As she speaks those words, a tall, slender man with brown enters the room.

Kibum quickly identifies this man.

It’s Minho.

“This is Minho. If you have any problems or are in any trouble, please come and find him.” His mother instructs. She ogles at Minho and Kibum can’t blame her for it. He’s so good-looking it hurts. From downstairs, Mr. Kim calls for his wife – it seems the first couple of guests have arrived. “Well, I have to go greet your aunts and uncles… I know how you feel about your cousins, but I expect you to be downstairs in five.”

“Okay, mother,” Kibum’s face reddened in embarrassment. Why did his mother have to talk to him as if he were five? He’d be eighteen in a month. “Sorry,” he apologizes as he shuts the door behind his mom.

Minho just shakes his head.

“You kept your promise,” Kibum smiles as he embraces Minho in a tight hug.

“I usually don’t break my promises.” Minho returns the hug. “But, Kibum, I suggest you get downstairs before your mother starts fussing.”

 

. . . . . . . . .

 

As more of Kibum’s family members entered his home, he started feeling lonely and annoyed. Annoyed because his stupid cousin, Woohyun was talking his ear off and lonely because Minho was off doing something he had no idea of. He wanted to sit down and have a nice, comfortable conversation with him! Minho was intriguing and Kibum felt the need to know more about him.

“So, Kibum, do you have a girlfriend?” Woohyun nudged him harshly in the rib.

He winced, but muttered a quiet “no”.

“I see why,” Woohyun scoffed. “You act like such a girl.”

Kibum rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” He rises from the couch and makes his way outside where more adults lurked. It was quite chilly outside but he liked it. He glances about, looking for Minho through the crowd. He soon finds him by himself next to a table filled with food from different countries. He looks as if he’s ready to drool as he stares intently at the food.

“You hungry or something?” Kibum smirks. “You look like you’re ready to devour everything.”

Minho smiles at him and Kibum could feel the butterflies flutter rapidly in his stomach.

“You seem bored,” He comments.

Minho nods in response.

“How old are you, Minho?”

“Older than you.”

“Well, obviously…”

Minho gives him a playful smirk. A strong, cool wind gushes past and makes Minho’s collar flap. Kibum notices a pink cut along his neck, but once the wind dies down Minho adjusted his shirt, covering it up again.

Kibum pays no mind to it and continues the conversation. “How old?”

“Figure it out on your own.”

Kibum stomps his foot and pouts like a child and makes Minho fight the urge to kiss those amazing pink lips of his.

“I have to move locations.” Minho declares. “See you around.”

“I’m going to follow--”

He’s cut off by his father calling his name. Mr. Kim wants him to come and greet his younger sister. Kibum blows on his bangs in defeat as he watches Minho disappear into the crowd of people.

What’s his deal? Kibum wonders to himself. Why won’t he tell me how old he is? It’s not like he’s a woman. It’s not a touchy topic… is it? Whatever, I’ll find out sooner or later.