Jennie, Jonghyun, & Bom

Love Works Wonders

XIX.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, Jinki,” Kibum catches his best friend before he entered the library after school. “Can I talk to you for a sec?”

“Oh, hey, Kibum,” Jinki smiles and adjusts his backpack on his shoulders.  “If you’re wondering if I spoke to Jennie for you – I did. She said you’re cute and was surprised to know hear that you’re interested in her.”

Kibum mentally rolls his eyes as he forces a smile at his best friend. “That’s great I guess,”

“See? I’m a good wingman,”

“Riiiiight,” Kibum folds his arms across his chest as his eyes fall to his feet.

“Aw, are you nervous?” Jinki grips his shoulders with both hands and faces him. He smiles widely, trying to get Kibum to smile too. “Don’t be nervous. Look, I told her about how you struggle in Health class and Jennie’s one of Mr. Choi’s best students, so I think she’s at his class right now.”

“Oh…”

“Come on, Kibum. It’ll be fine.” Jinki gives him a motivational pat on the back and pushes him in the direction of Mr. Choi’s classroom. “See you later.”

“Yeah,” Kibum waves as Jinki disappears into the library. Great job, Jinki! Kibum ruffles his hair and groans as he makes his way to the designated class. How in the world was he supposed to talk to that girl? He knew nothing about her and he didn’t even want to know anything about her. He simply had no ual interest in females.  None whatsoever.

In about three minutes, he arrives at his destination. He can already hear voices speaking and he pokes his head into the room quietly. He can see a girl, who he can assume is Jennie, sitting at a desk writing while Minho was looking over her shoulder.

 “Great,” Kibum whispers to himself, slowly entering. The door creaks causing both people to look up.

“Kibum,” Minho smiles as he pushes his glasses up his nose. “Looks like you won’t be alone today seeing that Miss Jennie is with us today.”

Jennie sends a small smile his way.

“Ah, yeah, I see,” he looks away as he aims to sit in the back. However, Minho requests for him to sit up close (Kibum shakes his head quickly, mouthing “No, please!”), but Minho doesn’t listen and continues to pat the desk next that is next to Jennie.

The chair screeches as Kibum pulls it out from under the desk and takes a seat. “You should get started on that essay, Kibum; it was due weeks ago.” Mr. Choi says, taking a seat behind his desk.

“Are we allowed to talk, Mr. Choi?” Jennie questions, in a sweet voice.

“Go ahead, just as long as you get work done,” he answers, as he starts to type away at his laptop.

“So,” Jennie pushes her desk next to Kibum’s so that she was closer. Kibum takes a moment to glance at her. Her face wasn’t exactly covered in make-up but she used enough to make herself look decent. Her obviously dyed hair looked dry and had a bit of split ends. She wasn’t ugly; Kibum had to give her that. Unfortunately for her Kibum simply wasn’t interested and would never be interested. His eyes glanced over at Minho who was focused on his work on his computer. God, he just looks so good when he’s working.

“…Kibum? Kibum?”

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t catch what you said,”

“Ah, I was just asking if you’d like to catch some coffee afterwards.”

“Oh um,” Kibum blinks. “Sure, I like coffee.”

Jennie grins, her cheeks turning to a light shade of pink. “Oh, yeah, of course I totally understand.”

Kibum spins his pencil in between his fingers, awkwardly. “So you mean after I’m done with tutorials?”

“Duh, silly!” she smiles.

Kibum sends a weak smile back as she begins to readjust the desks back to how they were. He catches a glimpse of Minho and can see that he is holding back laughter.

“Hey, Mr. Choi,” Jennie says as she collects her belongings. “I’m done with everything.” She hands him a couple of papers and then turns to Kibum again. “I’ll wait for you in the library; I need to use the computers for my research paper.”

“A-Alright,” Kibum stutters. He couldn’t believe what was happening. Did he really just accept a date from her?

Once Jennie was clear out of the classroom, Minho snickers.

“Shut up,” Kibum hisses, resting his head down on the desk. “That was so horrible. I should have said no!”

“I had no idea that you were a player,” Minho teases as he grasps his chest dramatically. “I’m not so sure if I want to make you mine if I’m not the only one in your heart.”

“Ugh,” Kibum balls up a piece of paper and tosses it at him with all his might. He completely misses and it causes Minho to cackle even harder.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry, I’ll stop,” Minho says when he notices Kibum’s angry expression. “I don’t mind it, honestly.”

Kibum frowns. “What?! You mean you’re okay with me going on a date with another girl?”

Minho nods. “I think it’s a good cover-up.”

“But, Minho, that’s cheating.”

“Not really, unless you’re going to go steady with her,” Minho’s glasses droop and he pushes them up with his index finger. “We both know that you aren’t. I’m just being cautious, Kibum, I don’t want anyone to catch on to anything you know? From what I know, you hated my guts so I’m pretty sure it’d look weird to your friends if you suddenly had a better attitude towards me.”

Kibum sighs. He’s right. Plus, he did say he would just go with the flow until graduation… He just wasn’t sure if this “flow” was the kind he was looking for.

“Alright, but I’m not going to put any moves on her.” He huffs. “She’ll eventually just get tired of me.”

Minho chuckles, “Maybe… just remember she’s just a cover up…”

Kibum nods. The room falls silent and then Kibum looks through his binder and holds up his nearly blank sheet of paper. On it was supposed to be his essay. “Can I get another assignment in replacement of this? This is just too difficult.”

“Fine,” the elder saunters over to his filing cabinet and begins to shuffle through several folders. “Aha…” He pulls out two sheets and places them on Kibum’s desk. “Here, this is simple.”

Kibum’s eyes the sheets. “Uh, I think I know some of these words.”

Minho face palms and pulls out a chair to situate himself in front Kibum’s desk. “Alright, listen carefully because I’m only going to explain this once.”

 

 

 

Minho and Kibum ended up staying in that classroom till six o’clock. Later than Minho had expects, so it surprises him when he checks his wristwatch. “Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to make you stay this long. Jennie must be waiting on you,” Minho saunters towards the window to peak out of it. He scopes the area to see if he can anyone by the school’s front gates.

“Oh, why can’t you just drive me home?” Kibum pouts, snaking his arms around Minho’s waist. He rests his head against his back and lets his eyes fall shut. “I really don’t want to get coffee with her.”

Minho smiles as he grabs Kibum’s hands and intertwines them with his own. “I would love too but I have somewhere that I need to be and something I need to do.”

“Is it Jonghyun?” Kibum wonders, looking up into the elders eyes.

Minho shakes his head. “You don’t need to worry about a thing, okay? Just focus on your studies! Did you understand everything?”

“Yes, I did,” Kibum nods eagerly. “I really think I did.”

“Excellent.” The elder ruffles his hair. “Does that mean you’ll do the homework and be able to turn it on Wednesday?”

Kibum nods again and returns to his desk to gather his belongings. Minho glances out of the window again and could finally see Jennie and another one of his students, Jinki, coming into view.

“Your friends are out there,” Minho informs. As Kibum is pulling on his backpack, his expression is apathetic. “Don’t look so glum, you’ll see me tomorrow.”

Kibum opens his mouth to say something but stops and decides not to speak. “Will you walk me out?”

“I think it’s better if I don’t.” Minho scratches his neck. “It’d look abnormal.” He drapes an arm around Kibum’s shoulder and walks him up to the classroom door. “I can walk you up till here.” He chuckles as he pulls Kibum into an embrace and then plants a long kiss on his forehead. “Send me a text when you reach home, alright?”

“I will,” the younger finally lifts his lips into a small smile and it causes the imaginary butterflies in Minho’s stomach to flutter. “See you tomorrow,”

“Yeah, see you.”

Kibum’s phones starts to ring and they both knew it was probably Jinki calling. As he answers the phone he waves goodbye to Minho for the final time and disappears down the hall.

Minho starts to organize his classroom before he takes his own leave. He had to hurry home to see Jonghyun.

 

/////

 

When he arrives at his condo it is still and empty. Jonghyun wasn’t home yet. Minho figures by the time he washes up and changes, Jonghyun would be back by then, but after his tremendously long hot shower he still hadn’t arrived. He glances at the clock on the microwave and it was nearing eleven o’clock. Minho really had to talk to him so he decides to chill on the couch and watch TV while he waits. He flicks through numerous channels and furiously fights sleep. He looks at the clock again and it’s now eleven-ten. Why did time seem to be passing by so slowly? Or better yet, what was taking Jonghyun? He never usually works this late…

After numerous episodes of some annoying childrens show, Minho was just about to succumb to sleep when he hears the front door shut. He shoots up and sees Jonghyun removing his shoes and setting them aside.

“Minho?” Jonghyun questions as he takes off his long white jacket. “W-Were you waiting for me?” he takes off his satchel and lays it on the dining table. Minho nods. “That’s… surprising. Are you hungry or something?”

The taller male shakes his head. “I wanted to talk to you.”

“And this couldn’t wait till the morning or something?” Jonghyun grabs a bottle of water from the fridge.

“No, it couldn’t.”

“Okay, so what is it that you want to talk about? I’m really tired, so…”

“It’s about Kim Kibum,” he interrupts.

Jonghyun suddenly coughs up the water he had been drinking and droplets of water fall to the floor. He sets the bottle down and wipes the dripping water off of his chin. “O-Oh. What about him?”

“Jonghyun, I want you to understand that I really like Kibum.” Minho says. “I don’t know… there’s something about him that makes me really happy. I’ve… I’ve never felt so strongly for a person before. He makes me get ‘butterflies’, Jjong, and you know I’ve never believed in those before.”

Jonghyun shrugs. “So, why are you telling me this?”

“Because when I told you, you were angry and you said it was sick, that it was disgusting,” Minho’s voice is small. “And I was worried that you were going to report me to the police for ia… I-I’m not like that, Jonghyun, I’m not sick…” Minho insists. He didn’t seem so sure if he was trying to convince Jonghyun… or himself.

Jonghyun sighs, approaching him. He pulls Minho into a hug, which surprises the taller male. “I let my anger get the best of me because, Minho, well…” he looks up and plants a kiss on the taller male’s cheek.  Minho stands there in shock, not knowing exactly what to do or how to react.

“Minho, I’ve liked you for the longest, but I never had the courage to tell you which is a part of the reason  I got so angry because I felt that the world was against me – that it wasn’t going to allow me happiness. I wasn’t necessarily angry at you, more at the world. I know it’s childish and I’m sorry. I am your friend and I would never stoop so low as to reporting you. However, just because I won’t doesn’t mean I approve of it. I really don’t. Minho, you could get in so much trouble and I’m just so scared for you.”

Minho suddenly smiles and bear hugs Jonghyun. “We’re all scared, Jjong, but he is worth it. He is so worth it.” He ruffles his hair, letting him go. “Don’t worry. Everything will be absolutely fine.”

“…I hope so…” Jonghyun murmurs.

“Let’s go to bed now, shall we?”

“Wait,” Jonghyun says. “Isn’t there anything else you want to tell me?”

Minho pauses to think, but after a while he shakes his head no.

“Oh, alright,” Jonghyun replies, but something in his gut was telling him that Minho was lying – that he was hiding something more. “Let’s get to bed then,”

 

 

/////

 

The week nearly flies by and it is Friday afternoon. Minho and In Guk were in Daeho’s office at the toy company. In Guk makes small talk to Daeho; asking him about his business, wife and well-being while Minho is around. Daeho responds saying that based on the doctor’s reports, he doesn’t have much hope for Ahreum and now his main concern is Kibum. He wants Kibum to grow up as a good, responsible man and take over his place as CEO of his business one day.

Minho meant no disrespect to Kibum’s father, but he found him quite dunce. Someone nearly kills his wife, but he still remains in the same home, in the same city and even has the same maids. Sure he called the police for witness protection, but the feds could only do so much… Minho had no faith in Officer Lee to protect Kibum. His Kibum. Minho can feel his ears heating up – he never pictured himself saying something like that before.

“The weather continues to drop, huh?” In Guk says, rubbing his hands together. “Is your heater even on?”

As if on cue, Bom enters the office with four cups of steaming hot coffee.

“Afternoon, boss,” she smiles widely, her big brown eyes nearly disappearing.

“Ah, Bommie, what would I do without you?” Daeho coos as he grabs a cup for himself and Daeho. Minho kindly rejects the drinks, saying he isn’t a fan of coffee.

“Come on, it’s good, I made it myself,” Bom urges.

“All the more reasons why I shouldn’t drink it,” Minho says quietly, so that only she could hear. “I don’t know what you put in it.”

Bom is furious on the inside, but on the out she just smiles and gestures towards his father and Daeho. “They’re enjoying it, so how about you stop with the accusations.” Bom is determined to change Minho’s thoughts about her; to get him to trust her. She places the tray on her desk and is about to say something but is interrupted.

“Hey, could you two give us a minute?” In Guk says.

“Sure,” they answer in unison and simultaneously leave the office.

Once they are out, Minho immediately makes his way towards the elevators. Bom follows him, but in her five inch stilettos it was hard to go at a fast pace to keep up with him.

Miraculously, she steps in his way before he can press the button for the elevator.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Minho asks.

“Give me a chance,”

“I’m not following…?”

“Ever since the situation with Mrs. Kim, you look at me as if I am a criminal and I don’t like it,” she explains. “I feel like you should get to know me first and then you can have whatever opinion you want.”

Minho blinks - unamused. “Will you please meet at this address around 6 o’clock?” she hands him a small piece of paper.

“How do I know this isn’t some sort of trick to get me alone so you can have me slaughtered?” he frowns at what was just given to him.

Bom shrugs, playfully. “I guess you’ll just have to come to find out, won’t you?”

She was right. Minho had to admit it. “Okay, 6 o’clock… I’ll be there.”

“Great,” Bom smiles. She pinches Minho’s cheek and then saunters off back towards her office. Minho stares at her until she disappears from his sight and then stares at the address that was scribbled onto the paper.

What exactly was did that chick want?

 

 

/////

 

 

Minho arrives at his condo around five-thirty. He had to stop at the super market to pick up some things Jonghyun had requested of him. Once inside, he uses his foot to shut the door behind him and places the bags on the counter tops. His phone begins to ring and he answers without looking at the ID.

“Hello?”

Minho!” Kibum’s melodic voice fills his ears. “Hey, I couldn’t find you after school!

“It’s Friday, Bum, there are no tutorials. Plus, I have no eighth period so I figured I could leave early because my schedule was cleared.”

Oh, I see. Thanks, Mr. Lee!

“Mr. Lee?”

Jinki’s father. He just dropped me off at home.”

“Ah,” Minho begins to assort the groceries he bought into the refrigerator. “I was at your dad’s office today…”

“Really? What for?”

“Adult things,” Minho says, but truthfully he was just accompanying his father. He hadn’t a clue why they were there today. Maybe to discuss drugs, perhaps? “But the weirdest thing happened.”

“What?”

“The stock marketer… She asked me to meet up with her somewhere…”

“WHAT?”

“Can I finish?” Minho chuckles at his reaction. He begins to explain the events that happened that day.

“I don’t know Minho, I get weird vibes from her.”

“Me too, but I’m just going to check out the place, if things get uncomfortable I’ll leave. Simple as that.”

“Minho…” He could practically see Kibum pouting right now.

“Bum, are you worried or are you jealous? I’m having a hard time figuring out.”

“J-Jealous? Why on earth--? I’m going to hang up!”

“Wait—no—” Minho laughs. “Don’t hang up. Hello? Are you there?”

“Yeah, I’m here…” The younger grumbles. Minho could hear shuffling in the background. “I have to get started on homework soon otherwise I just won’t do it.”

“Can’t have that, can we?” Minho chuckles, shutting the doors to his fridge. “Well, I was just going to say after I’m done with Bom--I don’t plan on staying long--I’ll swing by and pick you up and we could get some take out and eat it at my place. Sound good?”

“Yeah, I like that idea,”

“Good,” Minho says. “See you soon?”

“Hey wait,”

What?”

“When did you start calling me ‘Bum’?”

Minho’s smiles to himself, “I don’t know,”

“That isn’t the nickname you came up for me, is it?” Kibum makes a gagging noise through the phone. “It makes me feel like I’m some sort of baby.

The elder laughs (as if Kibum didn’t act like a child on the daily), “No, I’m still thinking of something more… unique,”

“Whatever you say, Minho, see you.”

They bid each other goodbye and hang up. As Minho grabs his car keys to get going, he really can’t help but wonder why Bom asked him to meet up all of a sudden. Sure she never failed to send not-so-subtle mean looks while he was around, but asking him out? Asking him to get to know her?

Minho shrugs. He won’t know until he actually goes to see her.

 

 

 heylo guys, i think this is like the longest chapter for this story i've written with over 3,000 words and ive even started the next chapter already.

i hope you guys are enjoying the story, so dont forget to leave a comment!