Health Papers

Love Works Wonders

XV.

 

XV
 

Bom exits the hospital with a smirk planted on her small pink lips. She whips out her phone and immediately dials Jiwook’s number as she approaches her car – a black BMW.

“It’s been done.”

“You actually did it? Wow, I’m impressed.” Jiwook chuckles heartily on the other end. “So the wench is dead?”

“Not yet, the doctor says. But there’s no way she can survive.”

“Good, good. And the kid?”

“He wanted to stay at the hospital but don’t worry. I’ll have something in store for him.” Bom begins to reverse out of her parking space but abruptly stops when she spots a speeding black Volvo coming her way. She honks her horn loudly. “Christ, people need to learn how to drive properly! Idiot. Anyways, Jiwook, I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

 

 

*****

 

 

“You’re mother tried to kill herself?” Minho exclaims as he and Kibum were in his car on the way back to Minho’s home. The younger had just finished explaining the events that took place earlier that day. Minho was highly confused by this because he had met Kibum’s mother on several occasions and she didn’t seem depressed or suicidal whatsoever. In fact, when Kibum was nearly kidnapped she was desperate in getting him to safety, so why would she want to kill herself and leave her son alone in this wicked world? “That’s the doctor’s take?”

“Yes,” Kibum’s voice is quiet as he stares down at his lap. “I can’t believe my dad didn’t even show up. What an !”

“Hey…” Minho places a reassuring hand on the younger’s thigh and gives it a light squeeze. “Don’t take your anger out on your father. You know he’s a busy man.” The car soon comes to a stop in front of his home.

“Busy or not, his wife almost committed suicide…” Kibum throws the door open, letting himself out. Minho sighs because he doesn’t know the right words to say. He locks his car and follows Kibum into the building.

Once in his condo, Minho offers Kibum anything to eat which the younger declines since he just wants to go to bed. Minho watches silently as he saunters down the hall to his bedroom. Poor kid.  He thinks to himself as he approaches the fridge and takes a cold bottle of water. What on Earth was his mother thinking trying to kill herself? Kibum needs her. He takes a swig from his water and just as he places it down he notices that he has dried blood under his finger nails.   He groans. There are so many things he needed to take care.

 

---

 

When Kibum enters Minho’s room, he takes a seat on the edge of the bed, sighing deeply. In his peripheral vision, a messy desk catches his attention. Out of curiosity, he stands and approaches it. All over there are messy papers and as he squints it comes to his understanding that he’s seen some of the papers before. He picks up one sheet to clarify. On it, it has The Human Body at the top with bolded letters. There’s a name written in small neat handwriting.

Jennie Kim.

The name is familiar to Kibum but before he could put anymore thought into it, he hears footsteps approaching the room. He quickly puts the paper back where it belonged and dashed for the bathroom. He nearly trips over his own feet as he hurries to turn on the shower to make it seem like he’s been in there for a while now.

“What on Earth is he doing with some Human Body worksheets?” Kibum wonders to himself, as he opens the bathroom just enough to peek through. Minho is at his desk, rearranging the sheets and putting them in neat stacks. When he’s finished he puts them all in a brown leather bag and kicks it under the desk.  Kibum shuts the door as quiet as possible. “It must be something work related…” he concludes as he proceeds to undress for his shower.

 

 

---

 

 

“That was a long shower,” Minho comments when Kibum enters in a black tee with the large part of the arms cut off. He lay on his bed with an open book on his lap. As usual, he’s shirtless and is wearing black jeans to bed.

Kibum’s eyes trail his body before responding. “I-I… got lost in my thoughts. I’m sorry if your water bills increases or anything.” He stands awkwardly by the bathroom door causing Minho to chuckle.

“Are you just going to stand there for the rest of the night or are you going to hop in bed with me?” he asks. “It’s much warmer over here. I promise.”

Kibum smiles and crawls into bed next to him. His conscious is telling to not worry about those papers he saw a while ago and to just relax. Everything should be fine. He gets in a comfortable position; which is with his head rested on Minho’s chest with an arm wrapped around the elder’s torso.

“Minho?” Kibum struggles to keep his eyes open at this point.

“Hm?” Minho gently caresses his hair. “What is it?”

“Nothing, I forgot.”

Minho silently chuckles as he glances down at him and finds him sound asleep. A smile forms on his lips as he pecks Kibum on the temple and then reaches to turn off his lamp.

 

 

***

 

 

Very early the next morning at the company, Bom is typing away at her computer with lightning speed trying to finish up the work Daeho’s last stock marketer failed to do. She hears a voice call out “Dad!” and looks up to see Daeho’s son and behind him is that man she was unable to identify before. Him again? And they’re together too? She ponders to herself. Daeho stands from his desk and pulls Kibum into a tight hug.

“Son.” He says, ruffling his hair. He releases him and faces the man behind him. “Minho… Thank you for looking after him while I was unavailable. Yesterday I took an unexpected jet to Europe and I couldn’t return till this morning.”

“Anytime, sir.” Minho bows in respect.

Bom is listening to their conversation intently. Maybe he’s his step brother?

So what is this about your mother trying to kill herself?” Daeho questions. He leans back into his desk and crosses his arm, awaiting for Kibum’s response.

“I-” Kibum starts.

“I don’t think it was an attempted suicide, personally.” Minho interrupts. “Sir, we can already conclude that there are people after you. They’re obviously trying to hurt you by going after your family members first. You’re very lucky your wife is still alive. Barely.”

That woman’s still alive?! Geez! Bom shrinks into her seat and tries not to get caught eavesdropping.  “I had a chat with the police and they say it was an attempted murder too,” he says. “They’ll be investigating and we’ve also been put under witness protection.”

“Witness protection?” Kibum exclaims. “So does that mean I will have some cop following me around all the time?!”

“Kibum, it won’t be that bad, I promise.” Daeho says.

Kibum glances up at Minho, whose expression is the usual – unreadable. He sighs, sadly. If they find out, it wouldn’t be pretty – at all. He shakes his head. It’s okay, Kibum, no one will find out.

“Well Kibum,” Daeho speaks, taking him out of his thoughts. “Don’t you have school to attend?” he glances at his watch.

Was school really important right now when his mother was suffering in the hospital? Kibum opens his mouth to protest but Minho grabs him by the elbow; “I’ll drive him to school.”

“Oh, but Officer Lee was going to handle—“

“No worries, Mr. Kim. I’ll take care of him.” Minho pulls Kibum towards the door, his lip barely curling up into an assuring smile. “Come on,”

Upon hearing the shutting of the door, Bom clears and makes her way towards the door. She tells Daeho, who had returned to his desk and was in the middle of making a phone call, that she’s taking a short break – which he did not pay any mind to her. Once she’s out the door she spots Minho and Kibum entering the elevator. She quick walks towards it, doing her best not to attract attention to herself.

 

 

* * *

 

 

“You seem in a hurry,” Kibum notes, as the elevators doors shut. Minho presses the button that’ll take them to the parking garage. “You have work?”

“I do,” Minho answers. “But I think I’ll be a little late for work today.” He smiles and ruffles Kibum’s hair. His hand then trails to the nape of his neck and settles there.

Kibum lets out a sigh, leaning into him. “I don’t want to go to school. I’ll have to stay afterwards for stupid tutorials since I didn’t go the last time.”

Minho chuckles. “I bet it isn’t too bad.”

“Oh it’s bad alright.” Kibum insists as the elevator doors slide open. They begin to make their way to Minho’s vehicle. “I hate it. It’s quiet and awkward since I’m the only one in there. Oh and my teacher scares me! His name’s Mr. Choi. He’s a very cold guy.”

Minho pulls out his keys, stopping. He wants to change the subject now, but he hasn’t a clue how.

“Minho?” Kibum snaps out his sudden trance. “Aren’t you going to open the door?”

“Right…” Once the door is unlocked, they both climb in and Kibum immediately continues his story about how he feels about Minho… as a teacher.

“As I was saying--”

“I have to tell you something, Kibum.” Minho interrupts. “It’s important, so you listen up.”


 

hey guys, i know you missed me. sorry for LONG wait, but i hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!