Welcome to Paradise

Battle of the Ships

 

Chen waited for the earth to rise to his feet before taking a step forward, Kyungsoo clinging to his back.

A weak wind blew and smothered them with the parachute.

“Oh no!” Kyungsoo gave a small squeak and clawed at the material, falling off of Chen.

The slightly taller man let out a disgruntled noise, staggering back with Kyungsoo's fall. He turned to eye the man with a raised eyebrow and dropped to his knees, gently tugging off the straps of the parachute before throwing it aside and helping the petite man to his feet.

Kyungsoo stared at the discarded parachute with conflicting emotions. “Wait!”

“What?”

“Should we really just,” he paused, squirming under Chen's stare, “leave it there?”

Chen continued to stare, judging heavily.

Kyungsoo coughed, “I mean, isn't that bad for the environment?”

Chen let out a bark of laughter. “Oh god, you're adorable. Come along, little one,” he cooed, encircling the smaller man's wrist and leading him towards the trees on the other side of the beach, slinging his backpack over a shoulder.

“Wait!” Kyungsoo shouted again.

Chen didn't even blink.

“Stop!” Kyungsoo tried again.

Still nothing.

Kyungsoo tugged at the raven's hand, bringing the two to a stop.

Chen sighed and turned to Kyungsoo as if he was dealing with a petulant child. “What is it, Kyungsoo?”

The man pouted. “I don't want to go over there.”

Chen glanced at the trees. “Why?”

“It looks scary.”

Chen rolled his eyes. “Sorry, princess. There's really no other way to go, and trees usually have food.”

Kyungsoo pouted.

The older laughed and breached the first few trees, leading them further onto solid ground and away from the beach. After stepping over yet another fallen tree, Chen felt Kyungsoo shiver and take a step closer to his side.

Chen held back a chuckle and grinned deviously.

He waited until they had cleared a veil of vines before beginning in a low voice, “If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise,” he started, singing the tune low and sinister.

Kyungsoo stilled.

“If you go out in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise,” he continued, baring his teeth and growling in his throat.

The smaller man squeaked and tripped on his feet, falling back onto a branch. He stared up at Chen with a terrified expression.

Chen's expression immediately lightened and he continued on cheerfully, “For every bear that ever there was will gather there for certain because,” he held the last note.

Kyungsoo stared at the man, dazed and utterly confused.

“Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic!” Chen finished with a delighted laugh, helping the younger man up and dusting him off.

Kyungsoo walked silently beside his bandmate, then frowned. “What... just happened?”

“I sang a song.”

“Yeah, no, I got that,” Kyungsoo stared straight ahead. “I just don't know.”

“What don't you know?”

“Whether you're possessed or not.”

There was a long pause after Kyungsoo's statement, and then Chen began laughing hard and loud, not helping Kyungsoo at all in his confusion.

“You mean you've never heard that song before?”

Kyungsoo glanced up, hoping the other wouldn't eat him. “Hmm?”

“That song. Teddy Bear Picnic? Never heard it?”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “No. Never.”

Chen gasped and pulled the younger to his chest. “Then it's decided. I shall give you a better childhood in the following week.”

Kyungsoo stayed still in the hold, and both men froze as Chen's stomach let out a feral growl. The younger man laughed; at least he could deal with that. “You hungry?”

Chen shrugged. “Maybe a little.”

Kyungsoo let out a heartfelt laugh. “Well, if you go and try to find a fish or something, I can make a fire.”

“If I find a fish, we're both going to have to go to find them.”

Kyungsoo made a face. “But why?”

Chen held their hands up and Kyungsoo's frown increased. He looked down and nodded in understanding. “So,” Chen began slowly, “to catch a fish, we'd have to go back to the beach, right?”

“Right.”

“Goddammit.”

They stalked back to the sand and the trashed parachute.

Pant legs rolled up and the sleeves of his shirt folded back, courtesy of Kyungsoo, Chen was standing in the salt water. Motionless. His legs were starting to cramp. “Kyungsoo, I don't see anything.”

“Shh, you'll scare them away.”

“There's nothing to scare away,” Chen groaned, standing up and throwing his head back. Kyungsoo shushed him.

“Found one.”

Before Chen could comprehend what exactly was going on, Kyungsoo dove into the water and resurfaced with a silvery fish flailing out of his hold. Chen stepped forward and grabbed for the fish, but failed. The two grappled with their dinner for an agonizing minute, when it escaped Kyungsoo's hold and flipped towards the water. Chen shouted and reached out, trapping the fish in his hands and sighing in relief when it struggled uselessly in his hold.

Kyungsoo gave a warm laugh and patted Chen on the back, leading the proud man back to the woods.

Using a small pile of neatly arranged twigs and dry vines, Kyungsoo constructed an expertly made fire while Chen stared at his fish in wonder, reluctantly handing the object to Kyungsoo when the younger asked for it, holding out one hand in askance and a sharp stick in another.

After the fish had been roasted adequately, the two ate in silence. Chen ate slowly, but still was the first to finish. He stared at his chef with a raised brown and silently flopped back onto the ground.

After finishing, Kyungsoo slipped on the ground beside Chen and followed his gaze upward. “What are we looking at?”

“The stars,” Chen answered dreamily, waving in the general area of the few bright stars in the darkening sky.

Kyungsoo nodded and focused on the few bright dots. He heard the ground shift beside him and turned to see an angular chin.

“I should thank you for dinner,” Chen's breath ghosted across Kyungsoo's cheek.

The younger man closed his eyes and shivered, screwing his face up as he waited for Chen to do something. Anything. He honestly had no idea what his bandmate was going to do. Chen was unpredictable and confusing and–

Kyungsoo froze as he received two pats on the head, and then Chen drew away. He opened his eyes, blinking at the man who had turned back to stare at the stars. “What? What was that?”

“A pat on the head,” Chen replied, innocently enough, “why? What did you think I was going to do?”

Kyungsoo muttered under his breath and his side.

It was silent until Chen let out a sigh. “Yeah, I could do this.”

Kyungsoo to his back cautiously. “Do what?”

“Live like this,” Chen made a sweeping motion with his hand at the sky and trees, “where it's quiet and I can feel the wind in my hair.” He took in a deep breath and closed his eyes.

Kyungsoo blinked. “Chen, I-”

“Not Chen,” the other shook his head. “I'm going to treat this as a vacation. Call me Jongdae.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “Jongdae.” He settled into a comfortable position, hand tossed over his stomach and ankles crossed. He watched with awe as more and more stars appeared. Then he let out a small laugh. “That looks like a fish.”

Jongdae followed the other's finger to connect the stars into a shape. He nodded, eyes falling closed. “So it does.”


If you haven't seen this, watch it. If you have, I'm sorry. I just... have feelings right now. Like a lot of feelings. 

 

 

Also, kairis up next.