Food Is Happiness

Battle of the Ships

 

Kyungsoo woke up with a small ache in his back and light breathing to his left. He sighed and rubbed his eyes with his free hand. “If this is what it's going to be like every day, I don't think I can do this.”

Jongdae let out a sudden laugh and Kyungsoo jumped. “That's just because you haven't spent enough time in the great outdoors, Princess.”

Kyungsoo furrowed his brows and stated indignantly, “hey, I'm not-”

“No,” Jongdae whined, throwing an arm over his face. “It's too early to be arguing.”

“Then what should we be doing?” Kyungsoo crossed one ankle over the other and hummed questioningly, glancing at the boy beside him out of the corner of his eyes.

The quiet was cut through by a loud grumble and Jongdae rolled onto his side and let out an embarrassed laugh. “Breakfast. We should totally do breakfast.”

Kyungsoo agreed with a groan and inched up until he was resting on his elbows. Jongdae stretched beside him, every now and then hissing when a pop was heard. Kyungsoo cringed, gently kneading his own arm. The wind blew a gust of salty air into his face and he coughed, reaching up to rub sand out of his eyes, gaze fixed on a leafy tree. He stopped and let his arm drop. “Jongdae.”

“Hmm? Wha-ow!” The dark-haired brunet exclaimed, shaking out his wrist. “Think I broke something?” He clenched his fist a few times. “Nope. Okay, we're good. What were you going to say?”

“About breakfast-”

“Yes, right. Well, chef, I've heard that you're a great cook so I figured I could kind of step back while you worked your magic. Don't worry, I'll do dishes or something. Sound good?” Jongdae rattled off, staring intently at his handcuff-free hand.

“I cook with pots and pans.”

“Most people do.”

Kyungsoo let out a slightly exasperated sigh. “We don't have any.”

Jongdae opened his mouth. And closed it. “Good point.” He stood and brushed dirt and sand off of his carefully-selected pants that were definitely not made for roughing it on an island. “Well, we can do the kind of stuff that they do in movies. Make a fire pit, maybe. Weren't we going to get fish or something?”

Kyungsoo shrugged, the metal around his wrist. “Okay. Let's go all the way back to the beach. You first.”

Jongdae settled himself back on the ground. “Never mind. I can wait. How about we see what's in that handy little backpack of yours?”

Kyungsoo a strap over his shoulder in shock. He had forgotten about it.

“Take your time.”

Kyungsoo sighed and plopped onto the ground, tugging one strap off of his shoulder and undoing the velcro on the other. He passed the bag to Jongdae and leaned forward on his elbows, head in his hands.

Jongdae ped the opening in time with a strong ocean breeze and watched silently as a colorful piece of paper drifted out and flew into the air, over a group of trees, and out of sight. He matched Kyungsoo's wide-eyed gaze and tried to give a reassuring smile. “Don't worry... I'm sure it wasn't that important.”

The korean member blanched. “But...”

“If it was more important then it would have been weighed down. I rest my case, discussion over, now let's see what else is in the bag.” He sneered at a first-aid kit, complaining about the weight before tossing it to Kyungsoo, hitting his nose.

“Ow.”

After apologizing profusely and breaking out a band-aid, cream, and a couple other things that look like they'd go over a cut, Jongdae went back to rummaging through the bag, this time setting items gently down onto the soil until finally his hand came up empty. He tossed the bag to the side and stared at his small pile.

“So, we still have other papers. That's a good thing.”

Kyungsoo nodded fervently in agreement.

“Let's see. First day, second day... this is a schedule. Looks like we'll have to be off of this island and onto the mainland by the day after tomorrow. Think we can do it?”

Kyungsoo nodded once more and held out a thumbs up. Jongdae grinned and flipped back to the paper.

“Hey, you think anyone else is on this island with us?”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “Why would I know?” He asked in return, voice extremely nasally.

Jongdae winced. “Just, um, take a break with talking until your nose gets better. Singing, too.” He frowned at a small red dot bleeding through the band-aid. “I'm sorry.”

Kyungsoo offered a small smile.

“Right. So we've got a schedule, medical kit, and this little bag with... money!” He looked up, eyes shining. “They gave us money! We'll survive!” His smiled dimmed slightly as he counted the bills. “Well not that much money, but beggars can't be choosers.” He pushed all the items to the side and met Kyungsoo's gaze, holding his hand out. “So, breakfast and then we'll work on finding out how to get from here to Daejeon?”

Kyungsoo met the hand with his own and shook once, accompanying the hand-shake with a nod.

Jongdae grinned. “Well, then. Hwaiting!”

Kyungsoo grinned and gave an equally as loud shout of “hwaiting,” frowning at his voice afterwards.

Jongdae laughed and mussed the other's hair before stuffing everything back into the bag, throwing it over his shoulder, motioning for Kyungsoo to come with him, and then they were off.

 


 

 

Sehun stared. Then he stared some more. He couldn't have heard that, right? Because if he hadn't heard it, then no one else would have heard it and that would really have made his entire day. Maybe even his week.

“I thought Duizhang and Kai would have been a better team. Guess not.”

Sehun let out the manliest shriek the world has ever heard and shoved the body next to him far away, hopefully to the other side of the Earth. That would be nice.

“Sorry, did I scare you?”

Nope. Not far enough. Sehun should have taken Jongin's teasing about his next-to-nothing strength more seriously. If he had gone with his friend to the gym every now and then, he might have built up the muscular ability that would have allowed him to get Yixing as far away from him as possible. Or at least for him to be able to break the handcuffs.

“Well, good morning!”

Yeah, he should have gone to the gym.

“Hey, you tossed a bit in your sleep. You have a nightmare or something?”

Sehun tensed up. There was really no reason why Yixing would have to know that and the only reason why the thin dancer knew that he moved in his sleep was probably because his arms had been around him. All night.

Sehun was pretty sure he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

“Yeah, I had this nightmare where I was pushed out of a plane and I had to survive on an island with this really annoying guy and I'm still in it.”

Yixing cracked a smile. “No one ever told me how funny you were.”

Sehun merely rolled his eyes and brought his legs up, folding his arms across them. He heard Yixing clear his throat beside him, but ignored the other, glaring resolutely at a gnarly tree across the clearing.

“Right. Okay,” Yixing mumbled out loud, apparently only for his own benefit. He stood and brushed himself off, the chain on his wrist jingling softly with his movements. “So, what should we do?”

Sehun stayed silent. Like hell he was going to talk to the guy who had tricked him into cuddling last night. Oh god. What if Yixing had taken a picture? If Kai wasn't already going to make fun of him when they had finally crossed the finish line, he definitely would when Yixing whips out his phone and shows everyone what went on last night.

Which was nothing.

He had to find that phone.

And he had to be subtle about it.

Sehun switched his attention back to Yixing, who was prattling on about something or other. He caught, “and we should really mark trees in case we somehow circle back,” and rolled his eyes. Now he was going to pretend like he hadn't just gotten the best blackmail of Sehun's life–except for that one time in junior high, but he'd rather forget about that–and Sehun wasn't about to let that happen.

“Give me your phone.”

Great job Sehun, very subtle, he groaned inwardly. Nevertheless, he held his hand out and stood, trying to stare the other down. After all, he was taller, it shouldn't be that hard.

Yixing stopped talking and blinked, frowning slightly. “I don't have it.”

Sehun narrowed his eyes. Perhaps he didn't look threatening enough? He squared his shoulders and pointedly shook his cupped hands. “Your phone. Give it to me.”

Yixing stared at the hands, an embarrassed smile working its way onto his face. As he opened his mouth, a small blush spread up his cheek. “Um, I'm not actually kidding. I forgot it in my room.”

Sehun dropped his hands and stared at the man. “Luhan was right,” he found himself mumbling, “you are hopeless.”

Yixing flashed a small grin. “So, how often do you talk about me with Luhan?”

Sehun groaned, retracted his hands and grumbled under his breath, “not often enough, it seems.”

Yixing fought to keep the smile on his face. “Usually I just use duizhang's phone so I don't worry about it. It's probably on Luhan's bed.”

“Why would it b-” Sehun stopped mid-sentence and gritted his teeth. Like Yixing needed more to work with. The guy probably had a camera on him somewhere. “Never mind about that. Where's your camera?”

Yixing cocked an eyebrow. “Are you worried about last night?”

“What. No.”

“-because even if I did take a picture or something,” Yixing went on, as if Sehun hadn't said anything, “this is all being recorded for a TV show. I'm sure they'd see anyway.”

Sehun made a sort of whining sound in the back of his throat. Oh god. Forget about Jongin, he'd have Chanyeol and Baekhyun cracking jokes about him for months. Suho and Kyungsoo would probably even laugh along with a hand in front of their faces and then deny it later. He'd have to move into the hallway.

“Hey,” Yixing brought Sehun back to Earth with a soft chuckle and a gentle hand brushing along his cheekbone.

Sehun swatted the hand away. “What.”

“I bet you that the others will have embarrassing moments as well, although I really don't think this is as big a deal as you're making it out to be.”

Sehun eyed the boy beside him. “That's the most I've ever heard you say.” He froze as Yixing offered him a bright smile in response, dimple and all. Why was he smiling? Sehun had no idea. The guy seemed to smile too much, in all honesty. Sehun firmly believed in the conservation of smiles because you never knew when you might–what was on his leg.

“Sehun...”

But it was too late. The younger had already glanced down at his bare calf–when had the material even ripped–and seen the bright yellow abdomen moving from his ankle to his shin, and further up his leg. Then he saw the eight legs.

“Yixing,” he squeaked, unable to move his eyes from the horrifying creature.

He grabbed a thin wrist in his clammy grip. “Yixing,” he croaked, voice almost gone as he felt something lightly brushing the hem of his shirt. He gulped and tried again, “Yixing, get it off.”

The brunet nodded seriously and worked his hand out of Sehun's weak grip. He lowered himself until he was eye-to-eye with the yellow arachnid. He glanced up to see that Sehun was staring resolutely ahead, eyes unfocused. Yixing gave a quiet chuckle, raised a hand, and quickly and effectively brushed the spider off of his younger bandmate.

As soon as Sehun heard a muted noise beside his foot, he looked down and jumped almost a foot in the air, landing on Yixing who caught him with a exaggerated groan. But Sehun could have cared less. The yellow thing was crawling towards him. He let out a sob and buried his face somewhere on Yixing, tightening his grip and wrapping his legs around Yixing's. Like hell he was touching the ground now.

With an amused chuckle, Yixing placed his unchained hand on the tree beside him for balance. He reached out with his left leg and repeatedly nudged the large spider away from both him and the trembling boy attached to his front. When it was a good ten feet away and steadily disappearing from sight, Yixing ran his hand-cuffed appendage through Sehun's light hair and whispered, “it's gone.”

The hold slowly grew looser, and then the weight was gone completely and Sehun was glaring at him. Yixing laughed and then pursed his lips when the glare increased. “Yes, yes. Don't tell anyone. I understand.”

Sehun ended the stare down to stare at his victimized leg in awe. “I almost died,” he muttered under his breath.

Yixing suppressed a snort, but a guffaw escaped him.

Sehun whirled on him. “What!”

“Hardly,” Yixing slid his hands into his pockets. “That spider may have been big, but not deadly. Certainly not enough to kill you.”

Sehun gaped. “How would you know?”

Yixing paused thoughtfully. “Would you believe me if I said that I worked at a zoo for a couple years?”

Sehun shook his head. “No.”

Yixing shrugged and started off, in the opposite direction of the spider.

Sehun dug his heels into the ground but gave up after a minute of being dragged along. He rolled his eyes and matched the Chinese man's pace. “So, where are we going?”

Yixing shrugged again once more.

“You don't know?” Sehun exploded.

Yixing smiled. “Just follow me.”



A/N: Haha was the wait worth it? Didn't think so. Wow okay I have a little rant and then yeah. So first I go to check to see if anyone's updated stories last week and then it's like hey, you got a couple new subscribers. AND THEN I LOOK AND I HAVE 100+ SUBS.

so, um, hi. i love you all and why are you here? Also I feel like I should do something? I've never had 100 subs before, so I feel like I need to do something? But I don't knowwwwww. 

Next, I fudging won a writing contest. I'm really happy. If you've got time, it's here.

The spider's called a Banana Spider/A Golden Silk Orb-Weaver. I did reasearch. Here's a video of what they look and move like if you want?

Finally, Japan was amazing. I used a picture I took on a ferry to Miyajima for the chapter pic because finding pictures is hard. I have tales but they're long.

...

OKAY NO I LIED ONE LAST THING WHAT THE HELL KRIS. 

ARE YOU OKAY. (zitao on the other hand. like yes please gimme some of that.)

kay I love you and it's midnight hahahahahaa bye.