Lost and Alone Chp 3

Lost and Alone

 

It's like you're in a car. You're sitting in the passenger seat, watching the world go by. You don't know where you're going, you don't know how long until you arrive. The worst part is, there's no one in the car with you, there's no one at the wheel. Everything's just spinning out of control, and everyone on the outside is watching it all happen. I want to reach out to people, I really don't want to feel alone, but I'm trapped. The sun is setting, everything's getting darker, and I'm getting more and more lost as each minute passes. 

It didn't start out like that though. Before I was content with sitting in the passenger seat, it didn't seem like life was spinning out of control, I was too busy watching the world go by. 

The world was watching me too. Eventually, I wanted to join them. But I couldn't.  

That's when I realized I was trapped. 

Stuck inside that ing car, a hundred miles from home.

I'm lost and alone. 

 

Hyomin closed her notebook and hid it under her pillow when she heard a knock at her door. "Come in" Hyomin nonchalantly replied.

The door creaked open and to Hyomin's surprise she saw Jiyeon at the door.

Jiyeon's head was pointing downwards, eyes foccussed on only the floor, her brows furrowed. "uh, can we talk?"

Hyomin nodded yes, and got up from her bed and closed the door while Jiyeon took a step further inside to allow her to do so. 

They were inches away from each other and stayed like that for a while. Both waiting for the other to speak. Jiyeon was standing extremely still, her fists clenched, and her eyes still firmly focussed on the floor. The other girl cocked her head to one side in confusion. Wondering what could possibly be the reason for her silence, and her reason for coming in here. Sure last night's happenings ended in Jiyeon's room, but it was only a night out. What reason could she have to suspect anything?

All the sudden Jiyeon looked up, and straight away Hyomin realized their faces were only cenimeters apart from each other. Her lips trembled, her large brown eyes searched her own, for some kind of answer presumably.  

The eye contact then broke as the younger girl took a step foward, wrapping her arms around Hyomin. "Please, just please, tell me what's wrong. I want to help you." She begged, her voice cracking.

"Nothing's wrong Jiyeon, don't worry about it."

And then she released Hyomin from her grasp and made her way towards Hyomin's bed. "Nothing's wrong?" Jiyeon repeated, skeptically.

"Jiyeon what are you doing?" 

She lifted up the pillow.

"Hey! Jiyeon what do you think you're doing?"

She picked up the book Hyomin had been writting in prior to her visit.

"YAH! JIYEON, THAT'S PRIVATE" She shouted as she ran over and tackled Jiyeon for it.

Despite the tackle, Hyomin still could not reach for the note book, and even so, her efforts were futile. Jiyeon was far stronger than she was. 

Hyomin retreated to the top half of her bed while Jiyeon stayed at the bottom and read the book aloud. 

 

You're in a cave.

It's dark. 

You desperately try to find your way out.

You call out for someone, anyone. 

But the only response is your own voice, bouncing off the walls of the cave. 

The walls of the cave are narrow, and the air so thick.

It gets harder and harder to breathe.

You're hopeless. If it all ended, would it matter? The only thing you're leaving behind is a cave.

Leaving one hell to go to another.

But then finally,

you find see light,

you see a way out.  

Frantically you sprint across the crude cave floor and find yourself 10 feet away from freedom.

Always 10 feet.

Forever 10 feet.

No matter how much you run, no matter how much you try, you never get any closer. 

The light at the end of the tunnel is constantly taunting you. Mocking you.

Leaving one hell, only to enter another.

I can end it.

 

Silence. Jiyeon slowly returned her focus to Hyomin. Jiyeon had never noticed it before, but she was so small. In that moment, she seemed so fragile. She was hugging her legs and hiding her face. Her nails dug into her skin, she was grabbing so tight. She was so desperate. Her breaths, shallow, disjointed. She was broken. 

Jiyeon edged her way closer to the poor girl and wrapped her arms around her. She then gently placed her slightly parted lips on the top of her head. 

Hyomin remained still, her breaths remained shallow, and her face remained hidden. 

"I want to make you feel safe in my arms, like you've always done for me." Jiyeon said. "Please Hyomin. I love you".

It seemed like they had stayed in this position for hours. Listening to the sound of each other breathing. Every now and again, Hyomin letting out a sob.

 

Finally she responded. She lifted her head, their faces once more, inches apart.

"I don't want to be alone anymore" 

"You don't have to be" And with that, their lips made contact.