Strike One

Assassin's Love

 

 

 

I woke up in a pitch black room. I could tell I was on a bed by the softness that comforted my back. Though it was dark, I was still able to make out the structure of the room. It was enclosed with a bed. Only a bed and I was laying on it. No desks, no windows, just a plain bed and a door which led to who-knows-where. Before I could get up, the doorknob twisted and I quickly squeaked my eyes shut.

“Looks like she’s still not awake yet, Lay.”

“How long was it supposed to last?”

I discreetly opened my eyes to see that the room brightened up by a ceiling light. My back was faced to two guys talking.

“She’s supposed to be up by now.” I felt their stares on me which caused me to abruptly close my eyes with only hopes that they’d think I was sleeping.

“Hey Tao, why don’t you go see if the others have returned?”

“Uh, okay.” I heard one of the guys walk away from the room as his footsteps become fainter. The next thing I heard was the click of the door and I assumed the other guy left as well. After a few seconds, I let out a soft sigh of relief as I steadily pushed myself up using my arms as strength. My eyes out a little and a bit of drowsiness kicked in I put my hand on my forehead.

“So you are awake.”

“Ahh!” I let out a small yelp from the closeness of his voice as I’m about to make a fall to the ground only to have the mysterious man catch me in time. As we were both in the awkward position, I could do nothing but stare at his brown eyes which were warm but dark at the same time and he did the same to me. Only then did I realize I was kidnapped. Everything came back to me; I was supposed to meet Sooyoung and Jessica at the café but now, here I am in a place I don’t know and in a stranger’s arm. I uncomfortably shifted myself from his hold as I tried and ran for the door only to find it locked.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, Kwon ____.” How does he know my name? Oh wait, stupid question, I’m the daughter of one of the most famous CEOs, duh. I turned back to face him, my back against the door while one of my arms were behind me while I tried to figure out the lock of the door. Taking in the full view of him, he wasn’t bad looking at all, in fact, he was even handsome. Kidnappers were usually creepy-looking, well in the movies anyway.

“Look, if you need money, I can-”

“I don’t need your money, nor do I want it.” He stepped closer to me; his voice cold and intimidating, “What I want is simple.”

I raised my eyebrows as an indication for him to continue, I tried to stall as best as I could while I worked my way around the door lock. God damn it, what’s wrong with this door?! Before he could continue, I heard the click of the door and as quickly as possible, I roughly kicked his shin making him grunt in pain. I scurried out the door and ran whichever way my legs took me. I ended up in a narrow hallway with dim lights hanging from the ceiling which created an eerie sensation that made shivers run down my spine. I was panting at this point; my breath had yet to catch up with me.

“, I ing lost her.”

“Wow Lay, already?”

“Shut up and help me find her.”

I heard a barely audible conversation, but that meant they were near. I headed further down the hall eager to get as far away from their voices as I could. After a couple of minutes, I turned a corner when suddenly, “Gotcha!” A hand grabbed my waist and I was turned around abruptly. His hand covered my mouth as I attempted to scream. I bit down hard on his hands and heard a low grunt as I struggled out of his grasp. I ran the other direction, but was stopped by another guy coming from the opposite side of the hall. He was taller and had a piercing gaze. I backed up only to collide into the kidnapper’s chest. He lifted me up from my legs so quickly; I didn’t even have the time to blink.

We reached the same room I ran away from in a short number of minutes.

“Let me go!” I kicked and yelled but god, am I tired and his grip was only getting stronger.

 He entered the room and threw me on the bed before shutting the door, making sure we were the only ones in the room.

“I’m only gonna say this once so listen. And listen carefully,” he moved closer, “If you ever try to run away again, I will make sure that your life is not only broken, I’ll make sure you suffer through it all.” He placed his hands on both sides of me and leaned in, his face only inches away from me.

“And the best part of it all?”

I looked up at him as he spoke. I tried my best to look away from him but I couldn’t. Somehow, it’s like he’s casted a spell on me, and I just couldn’t look away from his eyes but his words were so cold and full of nothing but carelessness. I gulped and he smirked knowing full well that I was scared.

“You won’t be able to escape the pain.”

Escape the pain? What pain? I was confused, but I didn’t dare ask him.

“Consider this strike one.”

I let out a big breath as he leaves the room.  He left me still stunned from his words and I just sat there with so much going through my head. I have no idea what he meant with ‘Strike one’ but whatever. Don’t listen to him; he’s just doing this because he knows you’re scared. Show him he’s messing with the wrong person.

I was locked in the room for a couple of more hours before I heard the clicking of the door and he appeared again, this time with a tray of food. He set it softly on the bed.

“Eat up.”

As much as I wanted to just shove it down my throat- okay that sounds wrong- I didn’t really have the appetite to eat.

“Tell me why I’m here.” I waited a while for him to answer as he seemed deep in thought.

“You’re here… because you just are.”

I gave him a sneering look. Oh, how he gets on my nerves. He turned his back to me and started talking about something but I was too busy noticing that he left the door wide open. Here’s a second chance. Sneakily, I tip-toed a couple of steps and made a run for it. I wasn’t even three steps out the door when,

“Ugh!” I slammed into another body and it just so happens to be the guy’s partner in crime. I would’ve fallen but he quickly grabbed my arms.

“God damn it Lay, watch the girl!”

Lay sharply turned his head our way and let out a chuckle like it was all a joke to him.

“Oh thanks Tao.”

“I’m serious. This isn’t the time to be joking.”

“Don’t worry; she couldn’t escape even if she tried.”

I scoffed at him. “Let go of me.” I annoyingly yanked my arms off the Tao guy.

“Ooh~ feisty. I like that.” The Tao guy spoke, “Can you deal with this, Lay?”

“Doesn’t matter,” Lay pulled me and pressed my body against him, his face so close I can feel his breath on my neck,

 

“I always love a challenge.”