The Beginning

Assassin's Love

 

            Beep, beep, beep, beep. I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. Lazily, I rolled in bed to turn it off. I stood up and stretched, yawning as I did so. Another day of boring school. I washed up and put on my school uniform. Placing a necklace around my neck, I smiled as flashes of my mother filled my mind. The necklace had a small heart-shaped locket with a picture of my mother inside. A gift I received from her as a child. I quickly then headed downstairs.

            “Ma’am, please have some breakfast first.”

            “I’m not hungry,” I turned to look at the maid, “and how many times have I told you not to call me ma’am, Miyoung? It weirds me out, just call me by my name.” I smiled as I said so. She just smiled back. Miyoung was the person I was closest to. She was a senior to all the other maids and has been around since before my mother left. The closest thing that I could call family, I guess, aside from my very own biological father who really didn’t care for me. She, for one, always placed a smile on my face and tended me into the person I am today.  I turned to leave, before she could change my mind. Exiting the house, a sleek black car was placed in my view as a man in a dark suit opened the door for me to get in.

            Upon my arrival to school, I could see many students staring my way. Like they were fascinated or something, I’ve gotten used to it though. My dad owned the largest company in Korea with connections all over the world, which explains why everyone basically knows me. I am the daughter of the “Great Kwon Jungmin” as people would put it. I go to the private school known as Seoul High. A famous school filled with rich students such as myself. Not only was it filled with rich students, but being smart and intelligent came along with it.

            “You don’t need to pick me up today,” I said to the chauffeur, “I’ll have my friends send me home.”

            “Of course, ma’am, I’ll be sure to tell your father of that.” I smiled in approval and opened the door. I still get mad once in a while. My friends had cars, but I didn’t because my dad didn’t want me to drive and insisted I get sent to school every day.

            “____!” I can hear my friends calling me. Jessica, born in the states and a total fashionista, and Sooyoung, tall and model-like but eats quite a lot. Their dads owned companies as well, and they were well-known. We were childhood friends. I’m glad because it would’ve been hard to befriend Jessica through her cold exterior. She is the exact opposite on the inside, she was nice and warm. Sooyoung was the shikshin of the group, also the one with a lot of energy, and a great sense of humor. The second closest things I had to family, just by a teensy bit though. I swear they’re the prettiest girls I’ve ever laid eyes on and not to mention that they make me self-conscious, a lot. We made our way to class as I mentally groaned at the boring agenda laid out for me.

            “Let’s do something after school!” I beamed. I didn’t exactly want to go home right away, plus I felt like I needed to spend more time with my friends.

            “Okay. But what do you want to do?” Jessica asked. I shrugged.

            “How about some shopping? I haven’t gone shopping lately.” Sooyoung suggested. I nodded my head, agreeing with Sooyoung.

            “Alright, sounds like a plan. Let’s meet up at the Lolita Café and then head to the mall.” Jessica added. We nodded to each other then went to our first class.

            I exhaled a sigh of boringness as I sat in history. I seriously couldn’t wait until school ended just so I can hang out with my girls. Just thinking about it made me anxious. I looked out the window and my eyes spotted a figure. It seemed to be a boy who looked no older than a high-schooler. The odd thing was that he didn’t have a uniform so it’s either he doesn’t go to this school or he was way older than I imagined him to be. Trying to mind my own business, I turned back to face the front and waited patiently for class to start. I took another peek out the window; however, the boy was gone. Weird, I thought, but I quickly shrugged it off.  

            Classes felt long, but thankfully, the end was nearing. I glanced at my watch counting down the last couple of minutes of class. What should I buy? Maybe a present for Miyoung? Or clothes, I’m running out of that too. Before I knew it though, classes had ended and I made my way out to the school courtyard. My backpack, which was filled with schoolwork, was slung over my shoulder as I made my way to the Lolita Café.

“It shouldn’t take too long, just a 10-minute walk.” I begin my walk to the café. A smile crept on my face as I took in the beautiful surroundings. The sun was shining, the temperature was perfect, the grass was as green as ever, and the sky was a beautiful blue. I took a shortcut to the café using an alleyway. I figured it’d be better if I get to the café first so my friends don’t think I walked there by myself.

Strangely, I felt like something was watching me. I turned around, and to my relief, there was nothing.  I stood there for awhile before turning back and bumping my face into someone else’s body. I jumped back at the collision, but my body was held from falling by the person’s strong arms. Before I could even mutter an apology, there was a slight pinch on my neck, and I pushed the person away feeling woozy. I noticed the person was the same boy from earlier, but I couldn’t make out his face. He must’ve injected something in me because my eyesight was becoming blurred. I felt my body fall forward, and he easily caught me. A single sound couldn’t escape my lips as my head laid on his shoulders. My eyes grew hazy as darkness took over.

I didn’t even have enough time to scream.