Elevator Girl

722

A/N: Before you read, you should know that this whole thing is in Yoona’s POV

I hastily changed clothes in a closet nearby. The elevator boy was nervously waiting just outside the door.

“All Done.” I grinned at the boy happily as he wiped off his perspiration and gave me instructions.

“So basically, all you have to do is ask the passengers which floors they need to head to and click it. You have to greet them too and always keep a smile on your face. Upon opening the doors, you have to inform them whether you’re going up or down. Oh, and you also have to hold the door for entering and exiting passengers if there is a need to.” The boy anxiously explained. “I guess that’s all. Call me if you need anything. Here’s my number.” He then handed me a piece of paper.

“You better not mess up. It’ll cost me my job. If I get sacked, you’ll need to find me another job.” The boy told me in a stern tone.

He obviously didn’t need to worry though. Tiffany will fix everything if anything ever goes wrong.

“Okay. The job seems easy. I think I’m good to go.” The boy then pushed me towards the elevator.

“Hurry. They might notice that there’s no one on the elevators for some time.”

“Alright already.” Hmph “I promise to do well.” I smiled and gave him a mock salute.

As the doors closed, I sat on the stool and patiently waited for the elevator to stop on a floor. Interestingly enough, my first stop was on the fifth floor. Oooh, Lucky! I didn’t expect to meet her fast.

(If you thought Yoona was simply doing this for the job, you are sorely mistaken. Haha. *insert evil laugh here*) -> ignore

As the doors opened, in came three people in corporate attires. A guy and a lady were talking about work while the other lady was simply reading the files she had with her.  Oh, I forgot to greet them. Oh, whatever.

The elevator reached the eighth floor. “Thank you for riding the elevator. Have a nice day!” Oh, I sound stupid. Thank you for riding the elevator? What the hell?

The only passenger left looked so preoccupied with the files that I felt guilty at what I was going to do. One of her arms was free while the other held the files she read. I stood closer to her and slowly caught her swaying hand. I swiftly intertwined it with mine and I got ready to flash an amazing smile. The response I got was far from what I expected though.

“What?!” The said girl suddenly pulled out her free hand and slapped me across the face. Aww, that really hurt. The slap stung intensely that a lone tear was squeezed out of my eye.

Once the girl saw who she slapped, she immediately dropped the files and wrapped me in a soft embrace.

“Oh Yoongie. I’m so so sorry.” Ooh, is she crying? She loves me that much? I mentally grinned.

I wrapped her too in an embrace and I wouldn’t have let go if she didn’t forcefully pry my arms apart. She then pulled away and gently caressed my cheeks. “Now, look you have a red mark on your face.”

“It’s okay. I’ll take everything as long as it’s from you.”

“You’re too cheesy.” She lightly slapped my arm.

“Awh.” This time I faked the pain.

“Oh, sorry Yoongie. Where does it hurt?”

“Here” I then gestured to my heart.

“How can I make you feel better then?”

I then puckered my lips and closed my eyes. All I got was a kiss on the cheek. I pouted as I fluttered my eyelids open. Once I did, she immediately placed a chaste kiss on my lips.

“All better?”

“Better.”

“What are you even doing here?”

“I wanted to see you. I miss you. Aww, you don’t want to see me?”

“I do. I’m just wondering how you got in here. You can’t easily enter your rival company’s building.”

“I have my ways.” I smiled smugly.

She was about to say something when the doors suddenly opened reminding us of her imminent departure.

She then went towards the door. “You better explain to me later.” She said as she walked away from me. Damn, I thought I escaped that predicament. Jessica hates secrets. Anyway, I’m just glad I met her before I start working the whole day.

The next few people who got into the elevator kept staring at me because of the red mark on my cheek. I simply ignored them as I routinely greeted people and asked them what floor they needed to go to.

---

After a few more minutes a young girl came in. She looked like she was too young to be working, but she wore the employee’s uniform, so she obviously worked here.

“Good morning ma’am, what floor to?” I again greeted.

“5th floor please.”

“Okay.”

“Wait, you look like… Aren’t you… Never mind.” She looked confused and conflicted. Well whatever it was she wanted to ask, I’ll never know the answer to.

After uttering those curious words, the elevator bell sounded signalling our arrival. “We’re here ma’am. Have a nice day.”

That was the only odd encounter I had. I continued working and time seemed to pass by slowly.

-----

Four hours of pressing buttons and greeting people got me tired and weary. The mark on my face was already gone. Still this job was rather depressing and lonely. Imagine spending long hours inside a box with random strangers going in and out. It not having anyone to talk to.

When I was about to lie on the floor and whine, the doors opened revealing the person I had been wanting to see.

“Sica-ahhhhhhhhhhhh!” I whined, not knowing that there was another person behind her. She glared at me obviously telling me to keep my mouth shut. I was baffled at first, but then I quickly regained my composure as I greeted them.

“Good morning madams, where to?”

“To the twelfth floor please.”

“Right away.” I replied with a grin. It was then I remembered it was the odd girl from earlier.

“Oh, it’s you again.” She only nodded. Jessica shot me a questioning stare. I just shrugged at her.

The odd girl then spoke to Jessica. “Unnie, is there a problem?”

“What? No. What makes you think there is?”

“Well, you keep on staring at the elevator girl.” I smirked. When Jessica saw me smirk, she immediately fired her bullet-like hits on me. “Yah! Im Yoona!”

“Aww, Sica Stop! Aww. You don’t have to be so violent.”

She wouldn’t have stopped if I hadn’t said. “Look, the girl is staring.” She ceased hitting me and faced her.

Jessica knew there was no way out of this except by telling the girl the truth. “Seohyun, this is my girlfriend Im Yoona. Yoona, my co-worker Seohyun.” She sheepishly introduced the girl to me.

The girl hesitantly shook my hand. She then returned to her pensive state. She looked like she was deep in thought. Oh! Looks like a light bulb lit up in her head. I can see it in her face.

“Oh! So that’s why you look familiar.”

“Huh?” This time I was perplexed.

“I saw you in the paper. You’re the heir to the Chaebol group of companies.” I gave her an unconvinced look. She still went on.

“And I saw you on Unnie’s wallet.”

“Yah! How’d you see what’s inside my wallet?” Jessica had a violent reaction. I held her arm to soothe her, but she just gave me a ‘what-are-you-trying-to-do’ look.

“I saw it when you were about to pay for your lunch in the cafeteria.” The odd girl nonchalantly answered.

Jessica seemed satisfied with the reply and she just refocused her attention to me. Since the cat was out of the bag, we no longer had to worry about anything. Sica took out a handkerchief from her pocket and looked at me worriedly. She then swiped it across my forehead and wiped my sweat away. She turned me around to check if my back was wet as well. She fully opened the hanky and placed it inside my shirt to keep my back from getting wet.

After she did that, I wrapped her in a hug. “Thanks Sica.” A genuine smile was painted across my features. Jessica certainly knew how to make me happy.

“No problem Yoongie.” She then patted my back and I pulled away from our hug.

As I held her hand while we waited for the elevator to reach the twelfth floor, my stomach suddenly grumbled. I was reminded it was nearly 12 noon.

 “Don’t I get a lunch break?” I asked Sica.

“Sorry Yoong, I’m afraid you don’t.” She grinned teasingly.

“But people can operate this on their own.” I complained in a childish tone.

“It’s a policy Yoona.” Jessica used her firm voice on me.

“Fine. Bring me food then.” The elevator doors opened.

“Sure.” She left as she gave me an apologetic look.

----

On the other side: Jessica and Seohyun’s conversation

“You’re girlfriend’s so sweet unnie.”

“Huh, oh, she was born that way.” Well, Yoona’s always been sweet. That’s nothing new.

“To work the whole day inside an elevator is really something.” Seohyun says with a dreamy sigh.

Wow, I never saw this side of Seohyun. Guess she’s a hopeless romantic then.

“Uh, Unnie, why are you taking so much food?”

“Oh, these are for Yoona.”

“Oh.” formed an ‘O’ shape. Well, people have that reaction all the time. I laughed slightly at her.

-----

Back to Yoona

Stupid job. Why couldn’t I have chosen another one?

As I went on with my routine, I remembered why I got into this situation in the first place.

Flashback

“Tiffany, I miss my girlfriend.”

“That’s too bad for you then.” Tiffany ignored me as sunny popped another grape into .

“You’re a bad friend. Aren’t you even listening to me?”

“I am.”

“You can hear me, but you aren’t listening.”

“Fine.” She then straightened herself and faced me. “What do you want me to do about it then?”

“Give me a job at your father’s firm.”

“Fine, be there on Monday 8am sharp. A boy will meet you at the entrance.”

‘Yay! Thank you Fany-ah!” I then went to hug her, but I stopped midway once I felt the Bunny sending daggers to my direction.

Flashback end

That is how I got here. Curse Tiffany for giving me such a tiring job. I thought she would’ve at least given me a desk job. How can she do that when I don’t have a degree though? But, she practically owns the company, she can order anyone around. However, come to think of it, this job is actually effective. I get to meet Jessica on her brief breaks and I don’t need to use my brain a lot. Tiffany’s really smart.

Now that I can’t blame her though, who is at fault? Oh, it’s my father. If he hadn’t sent Jessica away, none of this would be happening. I wouldn’t go to such lengths just to see her. Right, it’s his fault. What’s wrong with me dating his secretary? He’s just jealous. Right, he’s jealous. I kept repeating it in my head as the scene where we got discovered played in my mind.

Flashback

“Yah! Jessica, what are you doing with my daughter?” Uh-oh. These scenes are not suitable for young audiences, parental guidance is advised.

Before dad came in, Jessica was eating my face off. I didn’t mind though. That is until, the door was unlocked and my dad intruded.

We scrambled to stand up. We both faced him with guilty looks.

“I thought you’d have more sense Jessica. This is your workplace. You shouldn’t be doing such a thing here.”

“And you Yoona! What the hell are you doing cutting class? Go back to school.” Ooh, so he’s okay with us being together?

I was about to speed off and drag Jessica along with me-Hello, we’re not yet done? And I’m not going to let her go through my father’s wrath alone-but then my father uttered the words that would put my life in a mess.

“Jessica, you’re fired.”

“Dad, that’s unfair. She’s done nothing wrong. Punish me instead.” I yelled with conviction.

He certainly did not appreciate me raising my voice at him. “Im Yoona, shut up. You wouldn’t want me to break you two off, would you?” Okay I’m utterly confused.

“I’m not against your relationship. This is simply a test. Now that you won’t see each other regularly, you have to make adjustments for your relationship to work.” Wow, he gives sound advice. Wait, what the hell! I got lost in his lengthy sentence. What?

“Pardon.”

“I said it’s a challenge. I have to see whether you two can work it out or not. I’m testing your relationship.” Damn, he looked serious.

Okay, he just wants to make my life more difficult. With those words, Jessica and I left the building. We couldn’t continue where we left off since she kept on blaming me for getting sacked.

Later that day, I got her a job at Fuchsia Inc. I got her a recommendation through Sunny. That time, Tiffany and I weren’t in good terms so I couldn’t ask any favors from her. Good thing her girlfriend has some inside connections. Jessica got a decent job which managed to placate her for the time being and to save our relationship. I guess Sunny is my savior in a way. That’s why I’m like her slave forever. Tiffany would always win arguments against me. I’d lose purposely because Sunny said so. It’s the reverse though when the two of them are in a fight.

Anyway, so that’s part of the story of what got me here. As I mulled over all that in my head, the elevator doors opened and I greeted the group of people. As the elevator made its third stop, I still hadn’t realized that Sica was standing behind me. She hadn’t done anything in fear of revealing my presence to other employees. Only on the fifth stop did she attempt to feed me.

My brain was flying away when she suddenly pushed a bun on my mouth. I was startled, but I started eating when I saw what it was being put into my mouth and who was doing it.

“Now, while you eat. Tell me how you got here. How did you even go through the entrance? Security is tight here.”

Due to my preoccupation with the food, I blurted out the first thought in my head. “I got Tiffany’s help.”

“What? How do you even know Ms. Hwang? I thought you too hated each other.” Uh-oh, this calls for a long explanation.

“Well, we don’t hate each other. It’s just a show Jessica.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, we can’t show people especially the media and our parents that we’re the slightest bit friendly. Even a slight mention of that may trigger a merger to come into place. If ever two companies find out their heirs are friendly with each other, they might get the wrong signal and cook up a merger. That’s why no one but our closest friends know that Tiffany and I are friends.”

“But I’m your girlfriend, am I not close enough to know that information.” Jessica was already pouting. Oh, I made her feel bad.

“Look, Jessica. You work here. There’s a high chance the director might know since you work directly under him. You and Tiffany might meet in office parties and you never know.” I tried to work myself around it. I don’t think I salvaged the situation though.

“I’m sorry Jessica. Much is at risk. Our parents might have given us some freedom, but it doesn’t mean that business isn’t the priority. They may not force us to marry just to unite two companies, but if they ever catch wind of two heirs getting friendly then they won’t hesitate to marry them.” I used puppy eyes to convince her. Uh-oh I am in deep trouble.

 “Still, you should have told me.” She started pounding her fists into my chest. Oh, why did I have to forget her trust issues? Why does food easily distract me? Stupid Yoong! Look, now you hurt your dearest Sica.

“I am so sorry. I promise to tell you everything. I’ll even introduce you to every single friend I have. All of them, even those from elementary school, even all my pets.” I heard a soft chuckle.

“Pabo! You don’t need to do that.” She raised her eyes to look at me. A few tears were threatening to fall. “You just have to tell the world I’m your girlfriend.”

”Huh? How does that make things better?”

“Duh. Once they find out you’re attached, they won’t force you to marry Tiffany anymore, even if you’re friends.”

“I’m not sure that’ll work.” I was really doubtful How did this pretty girl get such a wild idea? “See, Tiffany’s already with Sunny, but that did nothing to deter her parents’ wishes t marry her off for a company merger.

“How would you know your father would allow that?” I scratched my head.

“You don’t trust him enough.” She started hitting me again. Uh, I’m such a battered girlfriend. Fine, I’ll admit her idea was not entirely impossible. I did pass my father’s idiotic relationship test. Hmm, I guess she’s right.

In order to stop her from hitting me, I gripped her arms firmly and stuck her to the wall. Her shocked expression was so adorable that I couldn’t stop myself from leaning in and tasting her lips. After five seconds, she started pushing me off. Nuh-uh, you aren’t winning this time.

“Yoong, there’s a camera.” She managed to utter in ragged breaths. “Well, you said you wanted the world to know.” I said with a cheeky grin. She no longer resisted. She simply relented and we got lost in our own world. That is until the elevator doors opened.

“Unnies not here please.” Seohyun squealed while covering her eyes.” If it was only her, it would’ve been fine. Unfortunately, the head of utilities was behind her.

“Young woman, you’re fired.” He spat at me. So much for working as an elevator girl for a day.

I quickly scrambled outside the elevator before I get Jessica into trouble. I used the stairs to exit the building and sent Jessica a text message telling her I’ll just wait for her outside. Well Tiffany would have to deal with explaining what happened to the elevator boy, she offered to help me anyway.

For me to tell the world that Jessica’s my girlfriend is easy, but I have to work on that. Being an elevator girl was tiring, but I’d do it again any day if I can see my girl. She’s far too special that my sweat and blood aren’t even enough. It was one hell of a day being an elevator girl anyway, a sort of adventure for my dry soul. Haha, it was fun and somehow educational. Im Yoona, the elevator girl. My dad would kill me if that really became my job. I laughed thinking of his face if he got news of that.

This officially ends my day as an elevator girl: Jessica Jung’s elevator girl.

----

A/N: Enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed writing this, so I hope you enjoy reading this too. So, I've updated quite a lot this week, I probably won't be able to next week. Don't worry, summer classes are ending in 2-3 weeks giving me more time to work on fics. :)

I want to involve you guys in my writing process, so let me ask you a question (sort of poll). I've got some material written, but a lot of them aren't finished yet. These are the ones that have a few paragraphs on it (most of my docs only have titles :))) :

-Found

-Kid

-Laundrylady

-Light Bulb

What do you want me to work on first?

I'll work on it and post it up at the soonest. :) Thanks for reading.