Chapter 7

The Proposal

 

Flowers. They were everywhere. Huge arrangements that filled So Min’s bedroom and spilled out into the hallway. And still the deliveries came, and with every delivery So Min’s anger grew.

Hyun Joong had returned her to Min Ho and Hye Sun’s by mid afternoon, and the floral deliveries had started almost immediately.

"A bit extravagant, but sweet," Hye Sun exclaimed as she surveyed the floral wonderland of So Min’s bedroom.

"Sweet?" So Min stared at Hye Sun in disbelief. "The man is a lunatic. He’s obviously trying to buy me and it’s not going to work. He doesn’t understand the meaning of no, has probably never been told no in his life. He’s extravagant and spoiled."

"The spoiled prince is waiting for you in the foyer," Hye Sun announced with a grin.

"Good. I intend to give him a piece of my mind." So Min left her bedroom, anger coursing through her. Thank goodness she hadn’t told him she loved animals; otherwise there would be an entire zoo in Min Ho and Hye Sun’s house.

Her anger dissipated somewhat as she stepped into the foyer and Hyun Joong greeted her with a wide grin. He looked so handsome, with his eyes gleaming with pleasure and his lips curved into an expectant smile. "You are pleased?"

"No, I’m not pleased," she replied curtly.

"But, you said you liked flowers." His smile fell away, replaced by bewilderment.

Jung So Min was unable to sustain her anger as she realized he had truly meant to please her and was clueless about why she wasn’t delighted.

"Kim Hyun Joong, I said I love flowers, but I also said I love gardening."

"When we are married, you may spend all your free time gardening," he exclaimed.

So Min sighed. "We come from two very different worlds. I’d rather be a schoolteacher  than a princess in a loveless marriage."

"Perhaps I should have sent jewelry instead of flowers," he mused, more to himself than to her. "I thought you wanted flowers."

He didn’t get it. He simply didn’t get it, Jung So Min realized. He was so accustomed to buying what he wanted, getting what he desired. He didn’t understand she could only be won over with love.

"Come with me," she said suddenly and grabbed him by the hand.

"Where are we going?" he asked as she pulled him out the front door.

"The flowers you sent showed me a lot about your world. Now I’m going to show you a little about mine."

To be continued?