Chapter 17

The Proposal

 

So Min knew that agreeing to continue to see Hyun Joong for another week was utter madness, but she didn't have the strength to deny herself the pleasure.

Every single day for the next week, she savored the moments, capturing the minutes in her memory, etching them in her mind and in her heart.

Hyun Joong introduced her to lobster and she introduced him to pepperoni pizza. He took her horseback riding and she took him bowling. They took carriage rides and visited museums. And each evening when he returned her to Min Ho and Hye Sun's house, he kissed her until she was dizzy with desire, aching with want.

She told herself that she'd have wonderful stories to tell her friends back in USA' bout the two weeks she'd been engaged to Prince Kim Hyun Joong. And at night, in her lonely bed, she'd have plenty of tears to shed over the future king, the man she loved.

She and Hyun Joong now stood at Min Ho and Hye Sun's front door. It was almost midnight and the two weeks were up. The moon overhead was full, spilling illumination that played on Hyun Joong's handsome features.

"So Min, I know I promised I wouldn't speak of it again, but I lied." His gaze bore into hers intently. "Marry me."

She shook her head. "I won't."

"Why not?" His voice held a soft appeal.

She couldn't tell him she wouldn't marry him because she loved him. If he knew, it would give him power over her and she was afraid he'd use that power to convince her to marry him. And that would be the mistake of a lifetime.

She answered his question with a question of her own. "Why did you choose me? that night at the ball? The room was filled with dozens of women. Why me?"

For a long moment, he stared up at the moon, as if the answer to her question might be found in the silvery globe. "I'm not sure." He looked at her again and in his eyes she saw confusion. "When I looked at you, something happened. The moment I saw you laugh I knew without doubt that you were the one I wanted."

He pulled her into his embrace. "And nothing has changed my mind since that night." His lips touched hers in a kiss of aching sweetness.

She held herself stiff, unyielding, but as his tongue touched the tip of hers, and he pulled her more tightly against him, she gave in to the magic, the passion.

"So Min?So Min" he murmured as his lips left and traveled down the length of her neck. His light, nipping kisses sparked flames of heat wherever his mouth touched. "I want you. I need you. Marry me."

Reluctantly, heart aching, she stepped from his embrace. "Goodbye Hyun Joong." She grabbed the doorknob to enter the house.

"So Min, wait?" In the moonlight that spilled down she turned back to face him, surprised to see what looked like sheer panic in his gaze. "If you don't marry me, then I won't marry at all. I will forfeit my right to succeed the throne of my country."

To be continued?