Chapter 11

The Proposal

 

"There are many successful marriages where the husband and wife are fundamentally different and love isn’t the driving force," Hyun Joong protested.

"Name some," she demanded.

He grinned, finding the sparkle in her eyes and the challenge in her tone intoxicating. "My own parents are a perfect example. Theirs was an arranged marriage for political reasons and they’ve been together for over 30 years. They have their own interests and their own responsibilities and friends and it has worked for them."

She frowned, an adorable wrinkle appearing across her forehead. "Shall we dance?" he asked as the orchestra began to play.

She nodded her assent and he took her hand and led her toward the dance floor. "There’s also Shin Chae-Kyeong and Lee Shin ," he said as he embraced her and they began to move to the rhythm of the music.

She fit perfectly in his arms and her sweet fragrance filled his senses. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d been so physically attracted to a woman. So Min wasn’t the prettiest woman he’d ever been involved with, but something about her drew him as no other woman had ever done.

"You were telling me about the Lee’s," she said, pulling him from his inner contemplation.

"Yes, he’s the King of Jumong and he married Chae-Kyeong years ago for duty rather than for love. I’d introduce you to them, but they left rather abruptly from the coronation celebration. There are rumors of trouble in Jumong. Anyway, both of those marriages have been tremendously successful."

"But, Hyun Joong, I don’t want a successful marriage. I want a marriage like my parents had," she said. Her eyes took on a dreamy cast and Hyun Joong tightened his arm around her back, wishing it was he that evoked such a look on her face.

"They were happy?" he asked.

"More than happy. They were more than just husband and wife. They were best friends, passionate lovers, and utterly devoted to one another. They were truly soul mates."

"And that’s your dream?"

She nodded her eyes still luminous. "I want my husband to be my lover, my companion, the keeper of my dreams, and my solace when dreams fall through. I want a family of happy children raised with laughter and love; children who grow up seeing the love and respect their parents have for one another." She blushed. "’I’m sorry, I guess I’m rambling."

"Don’t apologize," he protested. For a few moments they continued to dance without speaking. Hyun Joong pulled her closer against him, wondering how it was possible he’d begun the night with no dreams and now wanted her dreams to be his.

To be continued?