Chapter 14

The Proposal

 

"So, today is the last day you’re officially Prince Kim Hyun Joong of Gojoseon’s fiancée," Hye Sun observed. She and So Min were seated at the breakfast table, lingering over coffee.

So Min nodded. "I gave him a week and the time is up. That gives him two weeks before his birthday to find an appropriate bride." So Min tried to ignore the ache that shot through her heart.

The past week had been like a dream. She and Hyun Joong had spent nearly every waking hour together. They’d taken long drives into the country, eaten at wonderful restaurants, and walked through Dongyi’s many parks.

So Min had accepted each day as an exciting gift, like a reward after a particularly heartrending, difficult year. It had been easy to get caught up in the fantasy of it all. But now it was time for a dose of reality. And reality was that Hyun Joong didn’t love her.

With each day that passed, Hyun Joong seemed to open up a bit more, revealing pieces of himself that she suspected he’d never shared with anyone else. As he’d spoken of his childhood, she’d gotten the impression of a spoiled, indulged, but lonely, child who saw more of his nursemaid than of his parents. It was no wonder Hyun Joong didn’t understand love. He’d had plenty of duty, of responsibility, plenty of pomp and circumstance in his life, but very little love.

"So, what do you have planned for your swan song as Hyun Joong’s intended bride?" Hye Sun asked, pulling So Min from her thoughts.

"I’m not sure. Hyun Joong told me to be ready at noon and that he had a surprise for me." So Min took a sip of her coffee, and then sighed. "It’s been a wonderful week."

"It doesn’t have to end," Hye Sun said.

"Of course it does," So Min countered. She wrapped her fingers around her coffee mug, and then looked at Hye Sun once again. "I’m afraid if I don’t stop seeing him then I’m going to do something incredibly stupid."

"Like what?"

"Like fall in love with him," So Min whispered.

"Would that be so terrible?"

"Yes." Once again So Min focused her gaze on the coffee in her mug. "Hyun Joong as is charming, and y and handsome. He’s obviously well educated and has a wonderful sense of humor."

"But…"Hye Sun prompted.

"But, he didn’t choose me as his fiancée because he loves me. I’m not even sure he’s capable of loving the way I want to be loved." So Min reached across the expanse of table and grabbed Hye Sun’s hand.

"I want a man who looks at me like Min Ho looks at you," she exclaimed fervently. "I need a man who needs me, one who wants to share my thoughts, my life, and my dreams."

"So, what are you going to do?" Hye Sun asked softly and squeezed So Min’s hand.

"Tell Hyun Joong goodbye." The words caused an ache to sweep through So Min.

To be continued?