Chapter 21

The Proposal

 

Kim Hyun Joong stared after her, hope seeping from him in a huge sigh. What now? Did he consign himself to a loveless marriage? Forget Jung So Min with her dancing eyes and beautiful dreams? He could marry another, but he knew in his heart he would never forget So Min. She'd become a part of his heart.

How could he make her understand that?

He'd tried all his usual ways and they had failed' failed miserably because So Min wasn't his usual type of woman. He played and replayed the moments spent with her in his mind, and suddenly, hope renewed itself in him.

He raced out of Min Ho and Hye Sun's house and returned an hour later. "I must speak with her one last time," he said to Hye Sun when she allowed him entry.

Serena frowned. "I don't think she'll come downstairs."

"Then, I will go up." He headed for the stairs.

"Third door on the right," Hye Sun called after him.

He found her stretched out on her bed, facedown. "So Min," he said softly.

"Go away." The pillow muffled her voice.

"I want to talk to you."

"I said, go away." She punctuated the demand by throwing a pillow toward him.

"Ah, you're showing your temper again."

She sat up, her eyes reddened from the tears she'd been shedding. The sight of those tears hurt him, yet filled him with renewed hope. If she didn't care about him, why was she crying?

"You told me once you could never fall in love with a man without dreams. At that time I had no dreams, but I'm not the same man. You gave me a glimpse of your dreams and somehow they became my own. I want what your parents had, a marriage based on love, and I can only have that with you."

He waited a moment for her to say something, but she remained silent and he continued. "I was a fool to think flowers or expensive baubles might change your mind. That's the Gojoseon tradition, and I think it's time I start a new tradition, a tradition of love." He handed her a small gift box. "Go on, open it."

She sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. She opened the box to reveal a cheap, tawdry key ring in the shape of a heart. On the back was a sticker that read Made in Taiwan. She looked at Hyun Joong questioningly.

"I figured Taiwan was a good place to begin our journey of anniversaries together. You know, keep your mother and father's tradition going."

She blinked once, twice, then stood and he reached for her. He held her close and the softness of her hair. "I thought my destiny was to be King of Gojoseon, but I believe my true destiny is to spend my life loving you," he said.

"Oh, Hyun Joong. I love you," So Min replied.

The words sang in his heart, danced on his soul and he kissed her with all the love that was contained inside him.

"Jung So Min, please be my wife. Put me out of my misery. I can't imagine my life without you," he said when their kiss had ended.

"Yes," she replied, her eyes shining brighter than any gem he might possibly buy. "Yes, I will be your wife."

Again they kissed' a kiss of promise, of passion, of love.

"What happens now?" she asked. "Do we find a justice of the peace so we can get married before your father's deadline runs out?"

"No." He a finger down the side of her cheek. "I don't want a hurry-up wedding. I only intend to do this once in my life, and I want it done right." He took her hand in his. "Come' we'll go talk to my father."

To be continued?