Unspoken Rivalry

To Fix Reality [Discontinued]

 

             The atmosphere around the apartment for the next few days that passed was much more uplifted than it had been for the past half-year. For some reason though, Lu Han left the apartment early, but he always came back with a smile on his face just in time for practice. Lately, Yang would tag along to their practices and some of their recordings if she wasn't babysitting her cousins, which was actually quite often.

 

              "Morning, Yang," Lu Han grinned at the girl tying up her hair as she walked down the hall to the kitchen. He was sitting at the table, chatting with Chen, when she had approached them.

              "Morning," she smiled at him. Chen's wary look went unnoticed as he glanced at Yang, then Lu Han and then back and forth again. It was out of habit, he couldn’t help it. After half a year of being nervous around the ex-couple, how was Chen supposed to get used to this sudden change?

             Yi Xing walked in a minute later, his hair in a tousled mess from restless sleep. He stared at his sister and her past boyfriend chatting happily away as if she hadn’t lost her memory before. It made him feel awkward, but he’s been thinking about being thankful for all of this. Something on the day it rained really changed him, the dancer had no idea what it was, but he felt the need to be thankful for it.

              Kris, Xiu Min and Tao walked in minutes later and sat down at the table. Lu Han still refused to talk to Kris, he acted like he wasn’t there, but everything other than that was fine. He didn't scowl at the leader, or drop his chopsticks anymore. Lu Han now talked to everyone in that once cheerful tone he used to speak with before everything bad happened.

 

I will fix the unfixable...

 

              Those five words had engraved themselves into Yi Xing’s mind. He wanted to ask how, but found it to sound stupid in his head. 

 

              Halfway through breakfast, Lu Han excused himself after looking at his phone with a smile. 

              “Can you tell HyunKyun that I’ll have to miss practice today. Just make something up.”

              And before anyone could respond, the Beijing boy was out the door and headed to whatever his destination was. The others exchanged confused glances but shrugged. The rest of that morning was really uneventful until HyunKyun showed up. 

              “Where’s Lu Han?” the manger asked when he had walked through the whole apartment to find the said boy nowhere.

              “Uhm...out?”

              “Family problems.”

              “Grocery Shopping?”

              “I dunno.”

              Everyone but Kris and Yang had blurted, leaving a shocked manager standing in the hallway. Yang giggled when she saw the attempt at an angry face from HyunKyun, he was just so tired that it looked funny.

               “Are you all crazy?! We have a stage today, he needs to be here. Call him right now and make sure he’s here in thirty minutes. We have to leave soon!” The manager went on to mumble something about an irresponsible 22-year-old under his breath as he stomped to the kitchen. 

              “You guys fail,” Kris chuckled, pulling his phone out of his pocket to call the second oldest of them all. He was just about to dial the boy’s number when Yi Xing quickly interrupted him.

              “I’ll go get him, I think I have an idea where he is. It’s not too far from here,” he explained as he got up and off the couch. Tao looked at the dancer, then around the room. It didn't matter that Lu Han and Yang were okay now, he still felt uncomfortable around their leader. And so, he followed.

              “I’ll come with you.”

 

~~~

 

              While HyunKyun was making a fuss over Lu Han’s disappearance, the Beijing boy was sitting in the same, quiet coffee shop he had been at with Haruka.

              “She what?” the said girl asked a bit too loudly. Haruka had been happily humming to a tune from Naruto as Lu Han told her what had happened when he had arrived home a few nights ago. Between the days from that night to this day, Haruka had been forcing Lu Han to help her with school work and her dance routines, allowing him no time to tell her what had happened. 'Today is a rest day,' she had told him before dragging him to the coffee shop.

               “I kissed her that night, and she didn’t push me away,” he said with one of his full-out smiles. 

               “Isn’t this going a bit too fast? That’s so sudden, Han!” she shook her head, kicking his shin under the table. He flinched at the sudden attack.

               “Ouch! Hey, I didn’t know what I was doing! I told you that, were you even listening before I said ‘kiss’?” He rolled his eyes at her as he took his coffee cup in his hands.

               “Uh..y-yes...?” Haruka’s unsure statement came out more like a question. Lu Han rolled his eyes.

              “Ruka...”

              “But anyway, the important part was that I heard ‘kiss’!” Haruka leaned forward on her crossed arms on the table. She opened to say something else, when Lu Han’s phone vibrated on the table again. He reached for his phone, but the vibrations stopped just as quickly as it had started. Haruka craned her neck just as “Missed Call   Jia Heng (Dui Zhang)” flashed across the screen. 

              “Need to be somewhere?” Haruka raised an eyebrow. She crossed her arms on the table, leaning into them. “You seem to be rather free for a singer lately.”

               Lu Han opened his mouth to answer when someone called his name from the other side of the shop. He jerked his head to see Yi Xing making his way over to them from the door. 

               “Hey, Haru,” Yi Xing grabbed Lu Han’s arm after sending a smile, to the girl. He then proceeded to growl at the older boy. “You, mister, got us all in trouble.”

              Haruka rolled her eyes, she had expected this some day if not today. She watched silently as Yi Xing continued to scold Lu Han, wondering if he really was the younger one of the two. Behind the furious boy, a taller black-haired boy slowly walked closer. It had been a while since the two of them had seen each other and it took a few moments for Haruka to recognize the young boy. Those dark circles under his eyes was a dead giveaway.

              “Hey, Tao,” Haruka gave a laid-back wave at the martial artist, who managed a shy smile in return. She turned her head to watch as Yi Xing pulled Lu Han out of the booth.

              “Come on, Lu Han. We have a stage today and if I go back without you...I don’t even wanna find out what HyunKyun hyung would do...” Yi Xing begged. Lu Han glanced over to his friend and she chuckled. He opened his mouth to protest, but the dancer cut him off by turning his head to Haruka. “Haru, why don’t you come with us today. Lu Han needs to be at a performance and he can’t miss it. What do you say? Can you come?”

              “Sure,” She answered, after giving it some thought. “Sounds good. I was wondering if he was purposely skipping today.” Haruka winked in a joking manner before laughing a bit. The singer made a face. Obviously, he hadn’t wanted to go to that stage today. He was such a kid at times, even if he was 22 years old. 

               After another unhappy sigh, Lu Han reluctantly followed his friends out of the coffee shop. At first, no one wanted to talk on their walk back, making the atmosphere quite uncomfortable for them all. Tao’s eyes glanced between Lu Han and Haruka from behind them, curious about their close relationship. He felt someone nudge his side and he turned to look at the person.

              “You’re staring, Tao. Something wrong?” Yi Xing leaned in and said softly so that the other two wouldn’t hear. Tao silently shook his head. 

              “No, nothing.”

              “Then why are you staring?” Yi Xing chuckled and turned to look at Lu Han who had just turned around to ask him how he had known that he was at the coffee shop. Tao puffed his cheeks in boredom as the dancer and singer engaged themselves in a casual conversation. 

               After a few more minutes, the four of them arrived at the base of their apartment complex. A black van was parked out front, the  SM Town logo and EXO logo pasted on it’s back window. Just as they reached the van, Xiu Min, Chen, Kris and Yang stepped out of the apartment building. 

              “Oh, Yang!”

               Xiao Yang turned her head to see Haruka smiling at her. The Japanese girl held in a chuckle when she saw the forced smile on the girl’s face. 

               “Ruka-chan,” Xiao Yang mustered a smile as she turned to the approaching group. Her voice dripped with sarcasm that she had unconsciously added. Her eyes glared at the college student, who had just turned to speak with her brother. She couldn't help to think what Lu Han saw in her to go and hang out with her every morning as of late. 

             Haruka hadn't missed the jealous look in Yang's eyes  ever since their exchange. It was so obvious to her that the she was jealous of her. Haruka held in a laugh when Yang turned her head to look away from her. She let out a small, quiet chuckle. That glare from the Chinese girl early screamed not to touch Lu Han, it was so clear!

             "What's so funny, Haru?" Yi Xing looked over to his sister, to find her looking elsewhere then back to the Japanese girl. "Did my sister do something?"

             "Nothing...nothing at all," Haruka smirked, leaving the dancer even more confused.

              As the two girls were making their unspoken exchange, Lu Han noticed that Yang's hand was clasped in Kris’s larger one, making him scowl from behind Tao’s taller frame. 

               “Come on, guys. Hurry up, we need to be–Oi! Haruka!” HyunKyun rushed out of the apartment building, bag messily slung over his shoulder with an untidy stack of papers in his arms. 

               “Annyeonghaseyo,” Haruka bowed politely at the man. 

               “Konichiwa, Haruka-san,” HyunKyun grinned, he seemed quite happy to use his Japanese. Lu Han looked at his manager in surprise, he hadn’t expected him to remember his friend from such a long time ago. “Will you be joining us today?”

              Haruka opened to answer, but Lay cut her off by stepping forward and speaking.

               “Before you say anything, I was the one who invited her to come along,” Yi Xing stepped up, knowing HyunKyun was about to scold Lu Han about how small and cramped the van was and that he didn’t need to be inviting other people.

                Their manager sighed before messily running a hand through his perfectly done hair. “Ah, is that so,” another sigh escaped his mouth as he dropped his hand and flipped his brown hair to fix it. It was a wonder why this guy had decided not to be a performer himself, he had quite a number of fans being EXO M’s manager already. “Well, hurry up, guys. We need to get going.”

              He mumbled something under his breath about something being more trouble than it was worth as he walked around the front of the van to get to the driver’s seat. 

              “Well...you all heard the man, in your car seats, kids,” Xiu Min opened the passenger-seat door with a laugh at his own joke and stepped in as Chen slid the side door open and climbed in. The rest of them followed suit and the nine of them were off in the cramped van.

 


 

A/N: Sorry about this short chap, you guys! I really didn’t want to miss another day of trying to keep a consistent chapter update. I’ll try my hardest to make the next chapter longer! But for now, here’s Chapter 8!

 

 

@wulinefan  You are so sweet! Really, I’m so happy to have such a kind reader like you.  I guess we’ll have to see about those memories... Nothing is impossible if you believe in it!~^^