Bittersweet Coffee At A Reunion of Friends

To Fix Reality [Discontinued]

 

              A pair of brown-haired boys sat on the steps that led to EXO’s dorms in Korea, waiting for a girl. Both of their facial features were distinctly identical, their eyes, nose, lips. Though, if one takes a closer look, their face shapes are a tad bit different. One had a sharper jawline than the other.

              “What’s taking her so long?” one of the two boys pouted, wrapping himself deeper in his jacket. The other boy jumped up onto the ledge, folding one leg up to his chest and letting the other leg hang over the edge, a foot off the ground.

              “This is the right building right?” the second boy tapped his phone against his knee before checking the text message he was sent earlier. “Yi Xing hyung was the one who gave me the address anyway...”

              “Maybe we should call her...” the first one fiddled with the case of his own phone. Just when he pressed the call button, the elevator doors inside the building sounded, and the doors opened to reveal the small, dark-haired girl they were waiting for.

              “Gosh, don’t you think noona’s changed since the last time we saw her?” the boy sitting on the ledge whistled as the other ended the call that would never be accepted. “She’s gotten even prettier!”

              The boy stood up from his spot on the steps and whacked his brother’s head, “you’re gonna try to hit on noona? Come on KwangMin, she’s got a boyfriend!”

              “Tch...one that’s not totally honest,” KwangMin retorted. Silence engulfed the two boys once they realized the deeper meanings behind their words.

              “Oh my gosh! KwangMin, YoungMin! How have you two been?” the girl walked out the door, a bright smile on her face as she hugged her two old friends.

              “Hey Yang...what’s up?” YoungMin gave her an awkward smile, a smile that was so different from his usual, goofy one.

              It’s been a week since EXO-M’s arrival in South Korea and it was decided that EXO would stay together as one for the next month. Since their arrival, Yang was stolen away by the two maknaes of EXO-K. The two boys hadn’t stopped fussing over her since she’d step foot on South Korean land. But one day, all 12 boys had to rehearse together so no one would be left to keep Yang away from Kris and Lu Han. Yi Xing was stubborn about not letting her attend and that was how she ended up with these two boys.

              “I bet you two boys are catching all the ladies with those outfits,” Yang wiggled her eyebrows at the two boys after gesturing at the two’s outfits. Identical twins apparently equaled identical outfits for them. Both boys wore black jeans, a white t-shirt with black, abstract designs and black jackets to top the whole outfit off.

              "So how's Junior year treating, my baby twins?" She asked the two boys as they waited at the bus stop for the bus to whisk them off to someplace to kill their time.

              "Not bad. Not bad at all, Noona," KwangMin was the one that answered as he leaned against the light post. "How's..."

            "China treating you?" YoungMin finished for his twin. "Is the weather nice over there?"

              "It's pretty okay," Yang giggled, crossing her legs on the bench she sat on with YoungMin. After a few moments of silence, Yang spoke up again. "So what are we gonna do today? I mean, catching up over a cup of coffee? How unoriginal is that?"

              "I...uh...we–"

              "Want you to decide," it was KwangMin who saved his twin this time. Truthfully, the two boys hadn’t planned anything big for the day. They were planning on lazing around on the couch, but Yi Xing changed their minds when he told them about Yang being back in town.

              "Why don't we go play some basketball at the park?" Yang suggested. "I can always go back upstairs for the boys' ball."

              The twins exchanged looks that Yang couldn't understand before looking back at her.

              "Sure, why not? I need to work on some of my skills anyway," KwangMin grinned.

              “Just a warning, I’m a bit rusty...” Yang smirked.

 

~~~

 

              “Hey! That’s not fair!” YoungMin pouted at his younger twin who stole the ball from him the 100th time in that one game. Yang sat on the bench beside the court, holding her hand up to to stifle her laughs. YoungMin noticed this and pointed at her, “don’t laugh! It’s not funny!!”

              “Come on, hyung. If you practiced just a bit more, you might be able to beat me in athletics,” KwangMin chuckled, dribbling the ball with his left hand, standing at the three-point line. Immediately after he spoke, he shot the basketball. It hit home with a soft swish. “10 minutes in the game... KwangMin 15 and YoungMin 0!” 

              “Hey...is that really how you treat your hyung?”

              KwangMin and Yang burst into laughter, seeing the miserable boy. After a few moments, Xiao Yang stood up, picking up the basketball that rolled to her feet. From her spot, a step within the sidelines, she shot the ball, letting it slip through the hoop without a sound.

              “Swish,” KwangMin whistled, causing YoungMin to gape at their old friend. “You said you were rusty, huh?”  

              Yang shrugged, “staying in a hospital bed for about a month really does take a toll on you...”

              Without knowing so, the Chinese girl had built a tense atmosphere between the twins. After shedding her sweatshirt to reveal a plain white t-shirt with EXO’s logo on her back, she walked over, picking up the ball again.

              “Woah, woah. Noona, lemme see you shirt!” YoungMin skipped over to her side, wanting to see the front of the plainly colored shirt. On the front was the unicorn symbol belonging to her brother in the Music Video, “Mama”. He chuckled, “Are you supporting your brother?”

              “How come not your boyfriend...” KwangMin muttered sarcastically under his breath. Anger wouldn’t be enough to show how he had felt when he heard Yang’s full story and in his opinion he thought it would be better if she were not to end up with either of the two boys. KwangMin has always been protective of Yang, ever since they met in high school, even though she was older. 

              “Of course! What kind of sister would I be if I didn’t support my own brother?!” Yang rolled her eyes, with a small laugh. 

              KwangMin watched as his older twin continued to joke and play around with their good friend. Just when YoungMin had lost all interest in playing, Yang swiftly dribbled around the taller boy, shooting a bank shot towards the goal again. The ball swirled around the orange rim before dropping through the net moments later. It took the boy a few seconds before he realized that he had just been scored on. 

              “Aw, dang! Really, Yang?” YoungMin pouted, frowning at the Chinese girl. She just laughed her playful laugh before continuing to a game with KwangMin for the next fifteen minutes. The two of them were panting hard when those fifteen minutes had passed. Yang shot one last goal at the three-point line, ending their game with a tie. 15–15.

              Once that goal was made, KwangMin collapsed on his back in the center of the court while Yang dropped down, where she was, into a cross-legged, sitting position, her arms propping herself up from behind. Both of their chests rose and fell at different intervals, both of them had smiles lightening up their faces. The stressful school work from the twins’ high school was forgotten. The difficulties of Yang’s love life were forgotten also.

               When the two of them had slowed down their breathing, minutes later, YoungMin approached their sweating beings with Yang’s sweatshirt and KwangMin’s jacket. 

              “What do you guys think about some coffee right about now?” YoungMin said as he handed Yang’s sweatshirt to her and threw his twin his jacket. KwangMin hadn’t bothered to catch it, letting it fall onto his body. He sat up as Yang answered,

              “Some hot coffee sounds nice right about now.”

              “Then the café it is!” YoungMin pulled her up as he cheered. KwangMin sat up now, a smile lighting up his face as his brother took Yang’s hand and pulled her out of the fenced area of the basketball court. She turned back around as they stepped out to call KwangMin over. The youngest of the three chuckled as he stood up and slid his jacket over his shoulders before running to the two of them. He took her free hand, swinging them back and forth. Yang shot him a confused look, but he just smiled at her.

               “Let’s go then!”

               

              After a short while of walking, the trio arrived at the café. Upon entering, KwangMin frowned. It wasn’t something Yang did, it was what KwangMin saw that made him frown. The three of them stood in the short queue of rushing businessmen, waiting to order their drinks and sit down at one of the many empty tables. YoungMin turned to look at his twin behind Yang to find him frowning at something in the corner of the café. He trails his twin’s eyes to the group in the corner. It’s a group of 12 boys, YoungMin doesn’t pay too close attention until he hears the familiar voice of Yang’s older brother.

              He wasn’t the only one who heard Yi Xing’s voice. Yang had too and she tugged on the two taller boys’ shirts. “Hey guys, why don’t’ we go join them after we get our drinks?” 

              The twins didn’t have time to answer before two other boys skipped over. Kai and SeHun. The two boys latched themselves onto Xiao Yang, their arms entangling around her smaller body.

              “You’re coming with us,” Kai said lowly, waddling with her over to their table. 

              “Can you guys get me a medium cup of regular, black coffee, please?” Yang turned her head to yell at them, her yell was muffled by the two boys’ hair and she wasn’t sure if the twins had heard her. It was when the two boys plopped down on the booth beside Yi Xing that he had noticed why the two youngest had suddenly jumped up and ran off.

              “Oh, so that’s why you two ran off...” He muttered under his breath. Lu Han and a few others were too busy laughing at some joke that Xiu Min had told to notice what the two youngest members had reeled in. Kris was so into his book that he had tuned out almost everything else, including Yang’s arrival.

              “Hey guys...what’s up?” Yang asked awkwardly. The laughter slowly died down and Lu Han turned to face her. His smile still remained, but his expression softened extremely when he realized Yang had just sat down with them. His heart skipped a beat when his eyes landed on her petite figure. Cursing his heart, he excused himself to the restroom quickly.Turning around hastily, he accidentally knocked his shoulder against YoungMin’s.

               “Sorry,” he said softly, his head was kept down as he rushed off. He hadn’t even bothered to see who it was, or else he might have stayed. 

              Yi Xing watched as Lu Han rushed out the door, he could’ve sworn he had seen a tear fall. He let out a stressed sigh. It was as if practicing until he collapsed from exhaustion wasn’t enough to keep his mind off of the complicated love triangle he had found himself caught up in as a slow-understanding, bystander.

              YoungMin watched as Lu Han rushed out of the café hurriedly. The older twin pitied the 22-year-old, he could only imagine the hurt he felt when seeing his girlfriend with a different man. And just thinking about it, he sighed.

              KwangMin on the other hand, scoffed, seeing the boy rush away from them. He hadn’t heard LuHan’s soft apology and was cursing the older boy for running off without even a sorry for bumping into his brother. He disliked the boy. He spared a disdainful look at Kris who had now pulled his face out of the book, he said something to Yang that KwangMin didn’t catch. Then again, he hated this boy even more.