SIXTEEN: DAY TEN- The Magic of Watermelon

White Pearl

The brothers were carrying large and plump watermelons early in the morning. They were so clueless as to why Dara requested that all of a sudden when she came home quite late the evening before. But because it’s Dara plus Seungho seconded, they were not able resist but succumb to the request.  

 

 

 

“We are losing all our fortune because of Dara.” Lee Joon complained while carrying a basket of watermelon.

Seungho turned to him sharply but did not say a word. Instead Cheulyong beat him to it, “Yah! If not because of her our customer won’t increase.” He meant their customers on their small fish stand in the market. Dara helps them sell fish in the market every morning and when it’s about 2 in the afternoon, she would visit Won Bin and bring him fruits and refreshments while the brothers would get ready to sail.

“But then it doesn’t change the fact that our catch is still poor.” he pouted.

“Yah! It is not her fault. Don’t you love coming home now that it’s liveable unlike before.” this time it was Cheundong’s turn to defend his beloved noona. He was pertaining to how good Dara keeps their house clean. Their dishes washed and somehow do their laundry even though at her first try, it was truly a disaster.

“It just that the watermelon is heavy.” he confessed raising the basket of watermelon. Of course he too has become attached to Dara. Who can resist her when she is so cheerful and beautiful?

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Dara was all smiles when for the first time Won Bin acknowledged her. Maybe the watermelon really worked. Secretly, she took a short glimpse at Jiyong silently thanking him for telling her that Won Bin loves watermelon.

 

 

 

“It’s delicious.” Won Bin commented. “Thank you.”

Dara felt herself blush. So to hide it, she smiled widely at him. Her eyes twinkling sending love love messages. Won Bin can’t help but smile at her cuteness. It made Dara’s heart beat so fast that she remained rooted in her position smiling like a fool with moony eyes.

“Darassi.” Won Bin brought her back from reverie.

“Ne~” she awkwardly smiled. Then she noticed some stains on Won Bin’s face from the watermelon. Though hesitantly, she tiptoed to wipe the stains away with the tip of her jacket. He was taken aback that he moved back. And wipe the stains away forcefully with the back of his hands.

“Sorry... just that there are some stain on you face.” she apologized for making him awkward.

He forced a laugh. And they both stared at each other feeling the tension. Then their laugh became real.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Seungho sulked at some corner discreetly watching Dara and Won Bin getting along because of the dang watermelon. His dark clouds were raging, striking loud strong thunder and lightning. As much as he wanted Dara to fulfil her mission, he doesn’t want her anywhere near Won Bin, his eternal rival. It pains him enough that Shi Min Ah never took interest in him but somehow talks to Won Bin. And now Dara, the woman who can vanquish his dark clouds instantly happened to be interested to him even risking her life for him. It made him sigh. Love has never been fair to him.          

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

“Thank you.” Dara mustered the courage talk to Jiyong first while he was checking the condition of their boat. Just like the usual, he looked at her with cold eyes without uttering a word.

“The watermelon worked.” she blushed.

He smirked at her. “You owe me one again.”

“Ne~” she looked down her toes. She looked up again and when she did, she noticed a small cut near Jiyong’s eyes. She was afraid that he’d react the same way as Won Bin so she hesitantly pointed her finger at his cut lowering her head.

He raised his brows at her. So Dara tiptoed and tried to wipe off the blood from his face with her fingers. Before she can even do it the strong gust of wind made her off balance. It was a relief that Jiyong prevented her from falling on the nails, hammer, and saw that Jiyong has lain earlier while trying to inspect and fix the boat. 

“Careful!” he shouted his eyes betraying concern with his strong arms preventing her from falling. Dara felt something strange stir inside her but she can’t tell what. She let go and steadied herself. “So clumsy of me.” she bowed then added, “uh~ there’s blood on your face...”

Again he raised his brows and nonchalantly wiped the blood from his face. “It’s nothing compared to what could have happened if you fall there.” he pointed at the sharp objects just a step away from her. 

“Thank you.” she bowed yet again.

“Yeah, I’m hearing it a lot from you.” he waved his hands indicating that she has irritated him enough so she can leave. 

Her feet didn’t move and was still rooted on the same position. Jiyong on the other hand continued with his business as if Dara is nonexistent.

“Umh~” she hesitated. “Don’t you need to cure that?” 

Suddenly, he stopped and faced her. He leaned closer and yet again, their nose touched. Just like before, he prevented her from moving backwards holding her arms steadily. “Leave. Worry about yourself.”

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Her steps were slow. Her head was bowed. Dara felt like crying. He is just so weird she thought. She was just worried. She pouted. He is so unstable. He’ll be worried. Friendly then in a flash he’d turn rude and cold again. The innocent little pebble resting on the sand was unfairly thrown to the vast see when she got so mad that her feet itched to kick it.

 

 

 

“My apologies princess.” it was Min Ho.

She flinched at his sudden appearance. Her hands automatically touched her chest where her fast beating heart is located.

She did not say a word and continued walking. Her pace steady and faster than before.

“Princess. Please.” he pleaded while walking beside her keeping up with her pace. “Don’t go near that man on the boat with a cut near his eyes again.”

His words stopped her from her tracks. “Why?” she asked.

“That man is dangerous.”

“Dangerous?”

“Yes princess.” he nodded.

“I don’t understand.”

“Please princess. He is...” he stopped midsentence then changed the words he was suppose to utter, “....might endanger your presence.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” she answered, then in a low voice, “Forgive my rude behaviour. Your presence discomfort me.” with that, she left.

 

 

 

When she was gone, Minho bowed at the princess. He opened his hands and let the wind swirl around his palm. As he close his hands, the wind that once swirled stopped. “I’ll guard you with my life princess.”