Akira's Secret

Big Windup!: Stealing Home

I hobbled out of the bathroom to see Abe leaning on a wall. “Hey, how’s your leg?” he asked. “Uh…where is the first aid kit?” I said trying not to cry. He sighed heavily and took my arm again. Once we got back, everyone in the dugout came to greet me. “How bad is it Hon’?” Coach asked. “Is there a water pump somewhere?” I asked. Coach helped me over to it and brought some bandages. “Can you do it by yourself?” she asked. I nodded. “Just tell everyone not to worry. I said giving her a brave smile. But on the other hand, the pump was right next to the dugout, so it wasn’t like I could hide the fact I was hurt. I pulled down my knee sock and looked at the damage. Then I tried to position myself right before pumping the water. It felt cool and refreshing on my skin, but I started to sweat when I saw how much dark water was coming off. It only took a few more seconds for it to turn pink. “Wow, you’re messed up.” I heard Tajima say behind me. I started to laugh, but when I looked at him I saw how serious he was. And that he was holding a towel. “I mean it, are you sure you can play?” he asked cautiously. I looked at him confidently. “Trust me; I’ve been way worse than this. Just help me wrap it.”

I was able to walk to the dugout myself, but I left my sock out to dry. Hanai was the first to approach me. “That was a pretty risky fall you took.” He said with little sympathy. I nodded and went to sit down. “Hey…Takizawa, can I ask you something?” Coach asked. I nodded, rubbing my back where my old scars where. “I was reading your file yesterday, and it said you were the ace for your junior high team.” I nodded yes. “But then, why did you sign up for reliever this year?” My back tensed and my scars burned again. I mumbled my answer. Hanai looked at me annoyed. “Speak up, you sound like a little kid!” he yelled. “Medical Purposes.” I said louder. Hanai’s face softened, and everyone was looking at me. “Wait, are you Akira Takizawa from Hiroshi Junior High?” Mr. Shiga asked. I nodded yes. “I heard about you, didn’t you suffer from a bad injury during last year’s spring tournament?” I nodded again. “Akira…stand up please.” He said. I stood up. “Show me your wingspan.” He said. I held my arms out at my sides as straight as I could. “Just as I thought, your right arm is slanting.” I looked over my right shoulder. I hadn’t even noticed. It had always felt straight.



I bet you're wondering why this chapter stops short....it's because this is all I've written since freshmen year! It's up to you readers, continue or not? Its in your hands!