Minor Setback

Big Windup!: Stealing Home

Abe ended up forbidding me to use full strength unless he asked for it. He gave it the name, our ‘silver bullet’. The next time we rotated, I was at bat. I tipped my helmet to the catcher, who recognized me and blushed (yuck). I swung loosely once to throw Kanou off and make him think I was a weak batter. I let two balls go, and then another. Next was the forker. Kanou wound up… Okay Tajima…the bet’s on and released. I stepped in to my rooted stance and Clink! I ran to first, and then second…stop! I wasn’t about to let Tajima win the bet, besides I would’ve been out. Next batter was Mihashi, and he struck out. After that was Suyama, and he went to first, then…he was going to send me home! I ran to third, and then I saw something. The ball was going for my head! I don’t know when it happened exactly, but at some moment adrenaline pumped through me and caused me to slide into home, and I was safe. At first I was happy, and tried to stand up. But when I stood on my left leg, lightning coursed through it and I went down. I grabbed my leg and tried to keep it steady, but I couldn’t even stop shaking. Abe was the quickest to get to me from the dugout. “Akira, are you okay?” I shook my head no. “Ice, I need Ice.” I said, not realizing I was tearing up. I held me up by my arm and I stood on my good leg. He stayed by my side as I limped into the dugout. “How bad is it?” Coach asked. I looked down at my leg, which was covered in dirt (and a knee sock). “Ba…” I started to say. “What’s that Hon’?” Coach asked. “B-bathroom…I gotta go.” I said. “I’ll take you, come on.” Abe said readjusting my arm. I limped toward the clubhouse for a while, then when we were out of site Abe stopped walking. “What’s wrong?” I asked. “Nothing, lean on my shoulder for a sec.” he said. I didn’t know what he was getting at, but I did it anyway. Then he flipped me into a cradle position. “Are you sure you can carry me?” I asked, a little wary. Abe didn’t answer; he just tightened his grip on me. He let me down in front of the restroom and waited until I could stand close to normally. “I’ll wait out here for you, if you fall or anything just yell.” He said. I nodded okay. As soon as I was in and out of sight I pulled down my knee sock slowly. At first I only saw a small scar on my knee and relaxed. But when I pulled it down further I stiffened. The entire side was skinned and bloody. There was no way I could wash it off in the bathroom. I pulled it back up and hobbled into a stall. I might as well go while I ‘am here.


I know its short, but its an old word document and I want to make it appear longer.