Encouragement

Big Windup!: Stealing Home

The next morning was the big game. I thought the school was pretty fortunate to have its own field, and then it occurred to me that if they could afford things like this, then Mihashi must be loaded. “Takizawa lets practice some pitches.” I turned at Abe extremely confused.

“Didn’t coach tell you that you’d be alternating innings with Mihashi today?” I shook my head no. He put his hand on his head. “Oh, sorry to put pressure on you like that.” He said. I told him it was okay. “Mihashi, come practice with us.” I yelled over to him.

We took turns pitching to Abe, but Mihashi was off his aim. It’s not like I didn’t know why, he was nervous about seeing his old team. We heard voices coming from the dugout, and Mihashi turned white as a sheet.

“Hey!” I heard a boy shout to him. Mihashi peered over the gate, and then ran it down making a beeline for the clubhouse. “Dude, where the heck are you going?!” Abe shouted. I put my hand on his shoulder. “I’ll go get him, okay?” I asked.

Abe hesitated, but then said okay. “Hey, Takizawa?” he asked. “Try to build up his confidence, make him believe he’s our ace.” I nodded and started to jog after him, unsure of how to do that. I finally got to the bushes when I heard someone yelling.

Was it one of Mihashi’s old teammates? Then I heard the phrase ‘break your arm’ and got angry. “Mihashi, are you out here?” I asked inching toward them.

I saw a big guy with a shaved head, the catcher. “Hey, what’s up?” I asked faking a happy smile. He blushed a little and nodded a hello. “See you on the field Mihashi.” He said.

I waited until he walked away to stop smiling. “Did he threaten you?” I asked softly. Mihashi curled into a ball. I knelt in front of him. “If he’s bullying you, you have to tell someone.” Mihashi wiped his eyes. “Hatake wanted…Kanou to pitch. Kanou was the better pitcher, and everyone liked him, and they all hated me.” He wiped his eyes some more.

“Why am I even here? I’m no pitcher!” he said. I felt really bad for Mihashi, and I wanted to make him feel better. I grabbed his hand, which was cold and clammy. “You’ll be fine.” I told him. “Cause you’re a heck of a pitcher.”

He stared at me for a moment, and then he lost control. “No I’m not, I !” he shouted, tears streaming down his face. I squeezed his hand. “Listen to me, you’re good!” I said. “No, you’re lying!” he said. “No I’m not!” Mihashi started to wail.

“Liar!” he said. Then I started to cry, but only a little. Mihashi noticed and stopped his wailing. “Look, you really are alright.” I told him, wiping my eyes. “And I don’t just mean as a pitcher…I really like you as a person too.” I squeezed his hand tighter. “Because you work so hard, and you don’t give up!” I felt his hand get warm.

“You…think I’m working hard, you mean it?” he asked. I looked at him. “Yeah, I do.” He started to breath normally again. “Because…I like being a pitcher.” He said. “Yeah, I can tell.” I said. He started to get a little happier. “Really, I’ll get better, I promise! Because…I wanna win…I” I looked at him confidently. “We will win!” I said. Mihashi looked the happiest I had ever seen him. Then he started to blush again.

“I…” I waited for him to finish. “I, uh…I like you too!” he said smiling. I flinched a little, trying to smile. “Uh, great thanks.” I said. Did it sound that creepy when I told him that? I stood up. “Okay, let’s head back now, on the way you can tell me about the batters we’re up against.” I said. “Sure!” he said shooting up. Maybe he was just a simple guy after all.


Okay, I know I stole another Mihashi Abe scene from the fangirls, but please know that I am one of you, and did this with good intentions in mind-What? wait....no....t-the fangirls....their comming for-aaaaaaahh! XP (keke, I know I'm crazy)