Texting

The Blind Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Texting

Jinki lay in his bed, staring up at the ceiling with a look of despair. He hadn't been able to talk to Roxanne at all, his phone having been taken away by his parents. He could only stare at his sky blue ceiling and count the days until his punishment was over. He turned over and layed facing down. He started groaning.

I never thought phones could be that important, he thought gloomily.  He turned over on his back again, his arm on his forehead as he stared at the ceiling.  Jinki thought he could see pictures moving as he stared, then he realized if he kept on staring he might go even more insane than he already was.

There was a knock on the door that startled him out of his thoughts.

"Come in," he bolted up now sitting on his bed with his back hunched forward slightly.

"Jinki?"  Came a soft voice, and instantly Jinki knew it was his mother.

His heart broke.  As her mother entered the room, he only blinked at her.  She closed the door behind her and made her way to a chair near Jinki's bed.  He began to wonder what this was all going to be about, and random thoughts began in his head.  Why was she here?  What was she doing up so late?  Then again, what was he doing up so late?

"What are you doing here, umma, isn't it late?"  He asked all at once.

"I should ask you the same question," his mother chuckled, the smile not reaching her eyes.

There was silence after that.  It was so unusual for the both of them that they both fidgeted in their spots awkwardly, trying to pick out topics from their heads.  But it was only Jinki who tried thinking of something to talk about; his mother already had her reason as to why she visited him at that time of night.

His mother sighed.  When she spoke, her voice was undeniably soft, and hurt, "Why were you really late, honey?  Why would you lie to us?"

"I..."  Jinki trailed.  He was glad the silence was gone, but finding words seemed harder than enduring the quiet, "I'm really sorry, umma."

"You already said your sorry, Jinki," she said, "Now I want to know where you went, the reason why you were late."

So he told her.  "I was with... a girl."

If there were other things his mother expected to hear, it was definitely not what she heard.  "A... A girl?"

"Yes."  Jinki said plainly.  He continued, "I met her on my way home last night or the other, I don't remember exactly."

"Go on, go on," his mother ushered.  She was suddenly excited at the thought of her son with a girl.

"Well..."  Jinki felt shy to continue, but he did, anyway, "she dropped her wallet, and she was looking for it in the grass.  Apparently she had a bad vision so she couldn't see clearly.  I helped her and then... we decided to meet up again, which was what happened today."

"She must be pretty special, then?"  His mother noted.

"W- What?"

"Well, if you decided to meet up again after only having met for several hours, she must be something, right?"  She smiled, this time crinkles appearing at the corners of her small eyes.  "Tell me, how does she look like?"

"Umma!"  Jinki protested.  "You make it sound like I l- like her."

"You never said you didn't," his mother replied, a sly smile on her face.  She really knew how to make him shut up.  Mothers.

"Fine, fine."  He gave up.  "Well, she's a bit shorter than me, and she's skinny, too.  And she's got these huge brown eyes that seem to see right through you, and they are big without contact lenses like uljjangs, umma!  And she has this really soft hair, and her skin looks so smooth..."

His voice became softer and softer as he described Roxanne to his mother.  When he turned to look at her, his mother had an amused look on her face.  The admiration on his own face as he spoke disappeared and was replaced with a fiery blush that seemed to spread odd warmth throughout his entire body.

"And that's it."  He finished.

"I see, I see."  His mother laughed.  When she had calmed down, she reached into her pocket and pulled something out.  "Here.  I think you deserve to have it back."

Jinki scoffed a little, but when he took a look at what was in his mother's hand, his eyes widened.  His jaw dropped, and he pointed at it, m- m- muttering as his finger shuddered.  It was his phone.

"B- But... But why?"  He asked stupidly.

His mother only shoved his phone into his hand, "Oh, because you're a man, and there's a girl, and if there's something else important between you two it's communication.  Take it or leave it."

"Take it!"  Jinki held the phone on h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter