Part II

The Dull One side story CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

"And then I fell in love with those cute pouty lips of yours and I was a goner." Woohyun tapped Yoomi's nose, slinging his arm around her and bringing her closer.

Yoomi smiled and snuggled closer. "Oh? You thought I was cute then?" she laughed in amusement. "I could never have guessed, honestly. You were yelling at me to open my eyes and all I could think of was to look up, look up, look up."

Woohyun blew on his bangs. "It was a mighty first impression right there. Although I would have appreciated it more if I didn't expose my boxers on the first meeting." he muttered grumpily. "At least I caught your attention didn't I?"

Yoomi laughed and shook her head and looked at him. "Come on, continue with the story." she shook his arm, enjoying his embarrassment. Woohyun raised a brow and looked indignant. "Excuse me? That's the end of my story thank you very much." he muttered. "I fell in love with you right then."

Yoomi wriggled out of his grasp and wagged her finger at him. "Oh don't you try. You only thought I was faintly cute, that was nothing close to falling in love. And if I didn't remember wrongly, you were still courting Chaekyung after that incident." she recalled.

Pressing his lips in frustrated, Woohyun sighed in resignation. "Fine fine, come back here. It's cold." he wrapped his arms around her and rested his head against hers. "Now where was I? Oh yeah."

 

WOOHYUN'S POV

You could never believe how loud a girl could get. This girl, Chaekyung's new friend and apparently the new girl at school, she had the loudest voice I've ever heard.

Or perhaps it was because she was screaming at me and I've never had a girl scream at me like this before.

"You ert!" she was yelling at me. Like seriously, me. Nam Woohyun. She had to have her eyes checked for the greater good of the world.

"What are you doing here you freaky High Schooler?" she screamed. "Roll back to your High School and don't come back you flasher! What are you thinking? Flashing your boxers for everyone to see! Traumatizing the younger ones aren't you?"

I was getting pissed and all thoughts of how cute she was instantly disappeared. Seriously.

"I didn't want to flash my Pierre Cardin boxers if I had the choice, little missus." I snapped back irritably. "And you didn't have to scream it for the entire population in Seoul to know either! You could have tapped me on the shoulder courteously and told me my fly was open. Don't you know your manners?"

Her eyes fired up dangerously, flickering with irritation and I could tell she was pissed. Chaekyung stepped in at this instant and pulled us away from each other before we tore each other's heads from our necks. Good move, I would like to keep this handsome head on my neck thanks.

"I think it was just an accident, Yoomi." Chaekyung blushed. "This is Woohyun oppa, he studies in Woolim High just a few blocks down and he's in the jjang group called Infinite."

"Oh Infinite?" Yoomi nodded. I smirked right then. *Aha, now you know who you just offended huh?*

"What's that?" Yoomi blinked in confusion.

Oh I could have torn her head off right then.

"I only know one guy from Woolim High and that's Jinki oppa. He's my neighbour and he's very nice." Yoomi smiled. I instantly got pissed. Like WHUT? She didn't know Nam Woohyun, or Infinite, but he knew that goody teacher's pet Onew? Oh seriously.

Yoomi cleared and looked at him straight in the eye, her gaze not flickering nervously like the other girls would, nor did she bat her eyelids flirtatiously. It was the first time a girl actually looked at me in the eye, and just looked. Plainly looking.

I felt a little flustered all of a sudden and cleared my throat. "Well I guess accidents could happen." Yoomi admitted, but I could see she was a little reluctant about letting it go. "Next time you come, please check your fly, Woohyun sshi."

She turned around before I could say anything and looked at Chaekyung. "I'll be going home now, Chaekyung. Nice to know you, I'm hoping we can be closer friends." she offered a nice smile. I realized that when her lips curled up, her smile looked really nice. Really really nice.

"See you tomorrow Chaekyung." Yoomi waved and ran off, catching the bus.

I felt a sudden emptiness as she left, like all excitement left. I blinked and looked back at the girl I had come for: Chaekyung. Chaekyung smiled at me and even though that smile was flawlessly pretty, it didn't affect me. Not at all.

-----

I found myself going over to Jido Middle School more frequently than expected.

I went there every single time with a bouquet of flowers and sometimes I dragged one of the Infinite members to go with me so that I wouldn't look stupid waiting outside. People were speculating that the Nam Woohyun was falling for Lee Chaekyung for real because they never saw me settle for a single girl for such a long time.

Chaekyung told me time and again that she didn't see me that way and her sister didn't like her dating so soon, but I kept insisting on turning up at her school.

Even the Infinite members were asking me if I had fallen for Chaekyung for real.

But I knew the answer. No, I hadn't fallen for her.

The reason for my repeated appearance at Jido Middle School was actually that new girl, Chaekyung's friend. I didn't understand my fascination about her, everything she did was interesting to me. She began hanging out with us when I came to look for Chaekyung and we would bicker and fool around.

I found myself smiling genuinely for once in front of a girl, not because I got the prize or felt the pride, but because I really enjoyed the time I spent with her.

I think Chaekyung noticed my change in behavior because she never told me to stop looking for her anymore, and I think she realized that the reason for my being there had changed from her to Yoomi. There would be times when I was laughing so hard with Yoomi and I caught Chaekyung grinning meaningfully at me and wriggling her brows.

And then I would blush.

Could you even comprehand the pure absurdity of the situation? I, Nam Woohyun, was blushing.

Oh my goodness.

Like now as I was watching Yoomi, a goofy grin would creep up my lips. What was so special about this Shin Yoomi anyway? She wasn't even the prettiest or the smartest or anything. Why why why?

"Yah Woohyun oppa." Yoomi waved her hands in front of me. "You were zoning out."

I quickly snapped out of it and saw Chaekyung grinning knowingly at me. And then I saw Sungjong watch me suspiciously and I wanted to knock myself on the head. The Infinite members were going to figure out the reasons for my strange behavior sooner or later.

I shouldn't have brought Sungjong with me. I shouldn't have brought him with me every single time nowadays. But then again there wouldn't be anyone to occupy Chaekyung's attention while I talked to Yoomi.

Oh gosh I was really weird wasn't I?

"Anyway Woohyun oppa, don't you have anything to do besides coming to Jido every day?" Yoomi asked, twisting her lips thoughtfully. "You come everyday, like seriously. You like Chaekyung that much huh?" she glanced at her friend.

No! I wanted to shout. No!!!

Chaekyung looked at me and let out a soft giggle. "Yoomi as dense as I am, I think I figured things out already." she shrugged. "People who are involved often can't see the situationa as clearly as onlookers huh." she met eyes with Sungjong and the maknae at the nerve to nod. I was going to kill that guy later tonight.

Yoomi looked slightly confused and her eyes actually enlarged for a moment. I saw her glance at me, her eyes unreadable as she searched my face. I hoped I didn't give anything away.

And then she laughed.

"I think you're thinking too much, Chaekyung." Yoomi sipped her juice. "Reading too much into things. Woohyun oppa's here for you. Has always been. As much as the first encounter scared me silly, I've got to admit that he's a good guy."

She grinned at me. "Aren't you?"

I looked away, drinking my own juice. I wasn't sure if I was a good guy, but I sure knew I was a confused one.

-----

When I waited outside Jido the next week, only Chaekyung came out from the school gates.

My eyes wandered behind her as if they had their own mind, searching for the one girl I had come for. Chaekyung reached in front of me and her lips turned up in a small amused smile. "Woohyun oppa, I think it's time you tell her the truth for your coming here, isn't it?"

I could feel my damned cheeks heating up.

"What are you talking about?" I feigned ignorance.

"Yoomi." Chaekyung smiled knowingly. "You know, one reason why I didn't even consider you as boyfriend material wasn't because you weren't good enough or attractive enough. It's because you don't give me that oomph feeling. And I know you don't feel it with me either."

She looked up me with her curious large eyes. "You like Yoomi. You've been insistent on pursuing me because I'm her friend and I'm an excuse for seeing her." she pretended to pout. "I'm hurt, Woohyun oppa."

I opened my mouth to defend myself, slightly alarmed.

Chaekyung laughed and shook her head. "I was kidding. She gives you the oomph so go for it." she cocked her head back in the direction of school. "You were from Jido Middle School before going to Woolim, I think you'd know the routes in your previous school well. She's in the music room."

"And for my great advice, I'll take this." she plucked the bouquet of flowers from my hands and laughed. "I think my mother would like it in a vase."

And then she skipped off. I stared, slightly unsettled. Was I that transparent?

But whatever, I stared back at the school, my heart pounding in my heart. Was I going to find Yoomi? What would I say when I see her? I didn't even know my motive for looking for her.

But my legs began moving by themselves and I soon found myself standing outside the music room of my previous school, thankful that I was an alumi which allowed me easy access in. I stood outside the familar room, listening to a familiar tune as Yoomi practised her flute.

It was Poulenc's Flute Sonata.

I peered into the room, recognizing Yoomi as she practised her flute while bobbing her head up and down to the rhythm. She wasn't doing a very good job at it but my heart warmed at the sight. She was adorable.

And then I realized why I had my sights on her even when there were girls like Chaekyung around.

And I realized that there weren't any particular reasons as to why it was Yoomi and not Chaekyung or any other girl. I realized that I could come up with a thousand reasons for my behavior and all of them would make sense but all of them weren't true at the same time.

Oh the irony.

It was because I loved her, Shin Yoomi. I had fallen in love with her and if you asked me why, I could tell you that I loved her pouty lips, her glittery average sized eyes, her loud unrestrained laugh, the way she walked with a bounce in her steps...I could tell you so many things and none of those would matter.

I loved her, it was as simple as that.

The realization hit me straight in the face and I swallowed hard. I, Namstar, had actually fallen in love with a girl. For the first time in my life I had fallen and it wasn't a very assuring thought. It made me vulnerable and I was treading on waters I hadn't been before.

Yoomi noticed me standing there in a daze and clicked her fingers. She laughed, and my heart automatically gave a skip at that adorable sound. "What are you doing here?" Yoomi asked. "Chaekyung went off already."

I looked at her, unable to speak.

"Yah." Yoomi walked up to me, beaming. However there was a little uneasiness as she approaoched me, something that didn't escape my eye. Why was she acting like this? Was I scaring her?

"Why are you here?" Yoomi asked again. "Chaekyung left already. I didn't go with her today, are you here to thank me for that?" she mused. "That I let you two have time alone together?"

Was it me or did I imagine her sounding a little wistful at that thought?

She stared at me and I stared back, not saying a word. That must have scared her somewhat because she soon took a step away from me. "If you aren't going to say anything-"

"I love you."

Oh Namstar you idiot.

She immediately froze and snapped her gaze up at me, her eyes wide. I took a step nearer to her, raking my fingers through my hair frustratedly. "I love you, Yoomi. Not Chaekyung, not any other girl. I love you."

And then you know what she did?

She stared up at me with those wide innocent eyes of hers and all of a sudden pushed me out of the room and slammed the door in my face.

Great job Woohyun, great job.