Final Act : Das Ewige Dasein

Catharsis Factor

 

 

Final Act : Das Ewige Dasein

(The Eternal Life)


Once again, this cliche called love tries to save the world

However, in the end, all for naught all efforts turn in vain

Far away, you await me in your heaven

And I swear, here and now, to return before it fades away

So my love, no, don’t cry!


-Piece of Heaven, Weiss Kreuz-



CHAPTER 50:


Footsteps echoed harshly across the white tiled floors of the laboratory as Shim Changmin walked towards his prize. Perfecting the world was merely the penultimate goal, all he ever wanted was for the world to be set right again- for Juniper Aybarra to be his, and his alone. His pallid hand ran across her jet black hair, threading his fingers through the soft strands, his thumb and forefinger lingering by the ends. Juniper Aybarra was his vision of perfection, and Nichkhun Horvejkul had tainted her with his rugged ways. Those hands that held swords and wrought violence had no right to touch June’s hands that crafted many more beautiful things with her science. Electrical leads were attached to her temples and the crown of her head- leads that were meant to revive her and purify her from the vestiges of Nichkhun that remained.


“You will be mine,” he uttered, “and we will be king and queen, and we will rule a perfect world. It’s only right. Everything has gone according to plan.”


Across from him stood Kazuki, Kass, and Yoojin. Three of his best creations. He had found them on the verge of death- Kass first, then Yoojin. It was those two who had found Kazuki and selected him as the perfect candidate to wield a gunblade. He had revived them from the dead, and now Changmin was to create life- he was now God, in full control of life and death. Finding them removed the need for him taint his own hands. Finding them ensured he would never touch on violence.


“You have served me well,” he said, not even turning towards them. “Mere mortals have failed me, though Yunho had brought me this far. The others were fools to even think that Lee Sooman was capable of everything I had Yunho make him do. Simpletons. It is almost too easy.”


“What are we going to do about Hell?” Kass asked, hands on her hips. “They’ll find us soon enough. I doubt Blondie’s gonna be too happy you stole his girlfriend.”


“She is mine!” Changmin barked. “June is mine. And let them come! My latest creations- my beautiful flowers and butterflies are ready for them. My most perfect creations will crush them into pieces, not even ants, not even the microscopic saprophytes will want them after my perfect army is through with them. Hell will burn in hell.”


Kass rolled her eyes. “Sure, whatever. What do you want us to do in the meantime?”


Changmin waved his hand, dismissing all three. There was nothing that could ruin his perfect plans. He had everyone he didn’t need taken down for him. Now all he needed to dispatch was Nichkhun and his lowly group of thieves and mercenaries. A feat he didn’t think would require much of his energies. Now what he wanted to focus on was June. Her recovery was of utmost importance to him, nothing more would compare.


With eyes gleaming under the glaring fluorescent lights, he crouched over her form, shouting vows of everlasting to devotion to the woman he believed was rightfully his.


Outside the door, Kass, Yoojin, and Kazuki lingered for a moment longer staring each other down for a minute before Kass spoke.


“Just leave him alone,” she stated before turning to Yoojin. “You can look over the specimens in the meantime and Kazuki can check the perimeter. Hell should be here soon enough. We can’t let them get to Max.”


“What will you do?” Kazuki asked.


“Protect Max, of course.”


“You realize you’re no longer the favorite now that he’s got his girl.”


A loud slap rang across the narrow and empty corridor and Yoojin’s cheek stung as it burned red from Kass’ hand. “Shut up!” Kass screamed. “You have your orders!”


Yoojin turned sharply on her heel and marched away, her heels clacking and echoing as she went. Kazuki only smirked before disappearing into the shadows. Kass was left alone and she looked back longingly at the door. She laid her hand on the flat surface, and murmured to herself. “You will be mine.”



Nichkhun clutched at his heart, at his head, his fingernails digging sharply into his flesh, leaving bright red raw streaks in their wake. His throat was clogged and painful, and he opened his mouth to scream curses at the world who decided to torture him. No, not the world, he knew. It was him. He was certain it was. All those times following after June, all those unnecessary comments on his incompetency and how June was better off without him. At first Nichkhun didn’t mind, June had always assured him that Changmin’s comments and threats were empty, nothing for him to be alarmed about, but now it had gone full circle.


Nichkhun should never have disregarded him- but what he couldn’t figure out was why Changmin would even have June attacked in the first place? He never suspected the lab rat simply because Nichkhun didn’t think Changmin would ever harm her.


“Hyung?”


His cloudy eyes pierced the darkness of his room and straight into Wooyoung’s. The younger man fumbled for the light switch inside Nichkhun’s room, flipping it open and finding the man he looked up to in a fetal position on the ground. Hair dishevelled and fingernail marks on his face and throat; Nichkhun had always been fearless, seeing his leader now in the state he was in, Wooyoung was robbed of what courage he had been able to gather.


He took one cautious step forward, his hand hanging strained in the air as he reached out for his friend. Wooyoung had no idea what he could do. When they thought June had died Nichkhun had been the same. He had gone on a violent rampage, not even he or Jay could stop the mercurial Thai. Only the resolve Nichkhun had for exacting his revenge kept him alive, stable almost. Knowing June was in the hands of a monster could not have been easy for him. Wooyoung was scared too, but he knew he would never know how Nichkhun felt.


Frustration bubbled angrily inside the young inspector. He was helpless now and he desperately wanted to do something- anything. He grabbed Nichkhun by the collar of his shirt and shook him hard. He didn’t know what he could say, but perhaps he could knock some sense into the other. He had to try.


“Hyung, snap out of it!” he cried, his fingers digging deeply into the other’s shoulders. He raised his fist and swung forward, but he was suddenly knocked back into the wooden floorboards. Stars exploded in his eyes and he clutched at his head as his other hand pushed Rai off him. “What?”


“Don’t hurt him,” she seethed, “stop hurting the people around me.”


Wooyoung let his head drop on the floor with a loud thud. “I’m trying to help him,” he sat up, but Rai still looked like she didn’t believe him. He pushed her off his legs and she tumbled down the floor. “I’m not going to hurt anyone,” he sighed. He knew Rai wouldn’t hurt him, but he also knew that that thin line that kept her sane enough to listen to him could just as easily snap if he did anything to anyone that was important to her. The only thing he could hold on to at the moment was the fact that Rai felt indebted to him.


“He’s hurting. If he’s hurting what more can we do? He’s supposed to be invincible!”


The sudden loss of the Main Office broke off all connections Hell had anywhere else. At that moment all they had was each other. Rain and Amihan had joined forces with them, or rather, Rain had revealed that he had always been part of Umbra, same as Ami and Nara. “That’s why we need him to wake up,”


Rai disappeared into the shadows without a word or warning, and Wooyoung sighed again as he looked at their fallen leader. “See that,” he said softly, “even the person who wants to kill you cares about you.”


Nichkhun didn’t answer. Instead, he turned away. Wooyoung grew impatient and pulled him back up by the collar and punched him as hard as he can. Nichkhun fell back, and when he didn’t respond, Wooyoung kept up with the punches until the other started fighting back.


Minutes later the two men crumpled into a pile of bloody noses and bruised hands on the floor. Nichkhun stared up at the ceiling, eyes lucid. “This time it’s real,” his voice was raspy but distinct. “It’s going to be over soon.”



Jinwoon winced again as Taecyeon shouted profanities at him. Jay and Seulong held him back, but the two men weren’t enough to calm down the detective’s rage. Taecyeon was nearly foaming at the mouth with his wrath as he struggled violently to free himself of the two men’s hold on him. Jay and Seulong shouted at his ear, but he didn’t hear them. On the other side, Chansung, Junsu, and Mai watched- the former two in boredom, only very slightly reacting when Taecyeon was close enough to be a threat to their archbishop, while Mai was more along panicked.


“You said you were going to keep her safe!”


Jinwoon knew reasoning with him would be futile. To tell him that he wasn’t the only one who lost someone important wasn’t going to be of any help. Jinwoon knew all this. “Detective,” his words were knocked out of him as Taecyeon elbowed Jay and Seulong away. His hands were on the younger one’s collar, shaking him hard.


Junsu and Chansung took a step forward, but in a flash, both Jinwoon and Taecyeon were down on the floor with Rai kneeling on top of the officer, throwing punches, “Stay away from him!”


Chansung picked her up by the waist, but she was flailing around him that he dropped her right away. Rai landed on all fours like a cat, and she pounced on Taecyeon. This time instead of the detective’s body, her hands came in direct contact with a pair of fiberglass jutte.


Mai was not going to allow the other female to wreak any more havoc. She still didn’t know the other’s story, but that was irrelevant- she had been waiting for this moment. Rai jumped back, clutching at her arms, baring her teeth at her like some rabid animal. Chansung and Junsu were in between them, and Seulong and Jay were handling Taecyeon.


“Stay out of this!” shouted Mai, the backroom may not have been the best place for this, but she would take any opportunity.


Rai somersaulted over the two men in her way, landing in front of Mai, taunting her before running off and out the door. Mai didn’t hesitate to follow after her, and the men watched in resignation as the two girls fled the backroom.


Chansung helped Jinwoon up, carrying him in his arms while Junsu pulled the wheelchair upright. Jay pulled Taecyeon up, apologizing to the members of Hell in behalf of his team. Seulong frowned- he didn’t like that Jinwoon had to be at the receiving end of Taecyeon’s anger, but he also didn’t like Jay apologizing to them.


“It’s alright,” Jinwoon answered as Chansung lowered him down his wheelchair, “it happens. We all lost people who matter to us.”


“What matters now is how we respond to that loss,” Chansung added. “You may be against it, but the way we know how doesn’t only serve us but everyone else that has been hurt.”


“You’re a really nice guy, too nice even to be an assassin,” Jay commented.


“I’ve been told,” Chansung muttered, pulling Jinwoon away and towards the shop.


Junsu took one look at Schattenheit before scurrying away to follow the other two.


“They’re not that bad,” Jay said again, this time to Taecyeon and Seulong. “I’m sorry about Eunhee, but we can’t dwell on that right now. JYP is dead too, JYP and a whole lot more from the Main Office. Jinwoon and Chansung are right, we have to make a move.”


“I’m in,” Taecyeon said, gravely. “Count me in.”


Seulong raised his hand, “I think I can help too. I had a flash during the last mission- well, your mission, but I think it will help.”



Junsu picked up a lotus flower from the bowl and dropped it back making splashes that wet the countertop. It was an unbearably slow day at the shop, but perhaps it was more fitting given the timing. He and Jinwoon had reviewed what surveillance tapes were left, and he really should have expected the dead to rise. After all, haven’t there been enough of the matter to not surprise him anymore? Yoojin was alive- or, whatever state she was in, and now it was his responsibility to kill her.


Also, as much as he didn’t want to admit it, Nichkhun had been right about Victoria. If Junsu hadn’t brought her back to the shop, then perhaps he could have prevented all this from happening. For all he knew, it could have been a trap after all. Victoria’s presence seemed to be commonplace every time there would be some kind of anomaly in their missions. Junsu wouldn’t put it past her now- perhaps she had been tailing them all along.


“Are you okay?” Chansung asked, “because I need a second opinion on whether I should go find Rai.”


Junsu shook his head. “Leave them alone. Mai can’t kill Rai, and Rai’s just gonna beat her up a bit.”


“You have a point,” Chansung agreed. “Any ideas for a plan? Because Nichkhun’s still out of it, and Jay’s a little busy. Maybe you, me, and Jinwoon can take over for just a little bit.”


“We don’t need a plan,” Jinwoon cut in. “We can handle it the way we always do. What we need is a location.”


“Not even Fei and Jia had anything on that. All we knew about the others were all from Kass, I don’t think we can call her at the moment. She even managed to get rid of her tracker,” Chansung shuddered at that last thought.


“We’ll find a way, somehow...”



The roof deck was the most convenient place for a fight, and both fighters had the same idea. For Mai, she considered it an advantage. It was flat, completely planar with nothing to aid Rai’s more aerial based attacks- Mai believed she that if there was anywhere she could defeat a beat up Rai, it would be here. Rai, however, was thinking the same thing. This was her home turf, she knew exactly what she was capable of doing here, and she had a feeling Mai would underestimate her, even more because of her injuries.


The deaths of Koujin and Fuujin by Kazuki’s hand lingered painfully in her mind. It hung over her like a fog, a mist that wouldn’t go away. It was another hazy night inside her mind, but she was more lucid now than ever. She knew exactly what she had to do, and she was prepared. Perhaps more prepared than she realized. Nichkhun would wake soon, she could feel it in the way his heart was beating. Their leader would wake soon and she needed to be ready.


Mai’s feet were planted firmly on the ground and her hands were gripping her jutte tightly- too tightly. Rai could feel everything, she felt it hard and sharp flowing into her veins and through her blood until it crackled at her fingertips and toes. Mai’s moves were calculated, perhaps too calculated, and Rai could see through her.


When Mai pressed forward, Rai leaped over her, kicking her lower back and sending her to the floor. Mai ignored the pain shooting through her knees and she twisted back up, running towards Rai and attacking. The shinobi dodged another wave of attacks and rolled to the left. Mai aimed for Rai’s wound, but she never got the opportunity. Every time she would take a step closer, Rai would jump over her or roll away. Mai finally landed a kick when Rai jumped over her and she caught one of her feet in the hook of her right jutte. Rai skidded to the ground, her tongue slipping out to taste the drop of blood on her lip.


Mai breathed heavily, bringing up her jutte one more time. Rai smiled to herself as she finally clenched her fists tight and her claws shot out, staring Mai in the eyes. Mai was on her toes, dodging Rai’s punches and strikes, making sure her flesh was kept as far away from the bagh nakh.


Rai laughed and Mai grit her teeth.


“We have company.” Rai turned towards the door, and as soon as shut, a bruised Wooyoung walked in, sword in hand. “Hello again.”


Wooyoung smirked in reply, and tapped Mai’s shoulder with the tip of his scabbard. “Sub time.”


The officer’s brows creased, creating ridges on her forehead. “What are you talking about?”


Wooyoung nodded towards Rai. “It’s all a game to her, and your side needs a sub.”


“I can take her!”


He chuckled softly, pushing Mai out of the way and taking his position. “Are you ready?” he said to Rai.


“I didn’t think you’re the type to pander.”


“I’m not,” he replied, a lopsided smile on his face.


Rai lifted her claws at him. “This isn’t a fair game,”


Wooyoung nodded, and both turned towards the door again. This time Nichkhun walked in, Sadame and Izayoi in his hand. He was bruised like Wooyoung, and he handed Rai her swords before silently taking a seat on one of the green folding lawn chairs.


Mai’s vision swirled around her as the rest of Hell and Jay walked in. She felt Junho’s hand on her shoulder, pushing her towards the other lawn chairs to the side. She complied, still confused. One minute she was battling it out with Rai, and now everyone was present as if there really was some game. “What’s going on?”


It was Chansung who answered. “Just some thinking time.”


“Thinking time?!”


“Sadly Rai doesn’t take you seriously enough, she’s been out of it lately, so she needed to clear her head. Wooyoung and Nichkhun just came through a few minutes ago, and this is our happy reunion. Welcome to Hell.”


Mai’s lips pressed into a tight line. Frustration surged through her and it was Junho’s arm around her shoulders that prevented her from either going on an all out rampage or just falling to the floor.


“You’ll get used to the idea, Officer,” Jinwoon said, “I know there’s an organization we have to bring down, but until we figure out how to do that, this is all we have.”


“Where’s Taecyeon and Seulong?”


“At the lab, Seulong said he has an idea that could help us.”


Mai shook her head in an attempt to understand the situation. She turned to the sword fight just a few paces away. Wooyoung appeared to be struggling against Rai, and Chansung’s commentary that the two fighters were on equal terms boggled her. Everything was too fast for her to see, and when Nichkhun stood up from the chair and drew his sword, her breath caught for the first time.


“There’s something I need to tell you,” said Rai as she blocked one of Nichkhun’s attacks with Sadame and one of Wooyoung’s with Izayoi.


She rolled out of the way first, leaving Wooyoung and Nichkhun to duel, before stepping in again putting Wooyoung in between.


“Can’t it wait?” Nichkhun asked, slashing forward.


Wooyoung rolled to the side, a smirk on his face. He saw Rai jump against the wall, and he rolled again, only barely avoiding Nichkhun’s Krabi to his side.


Rai jumped again, striking at Nichkhun with her reverse held sword, and blocking Wooyoung’s attack with the other. “The Purple Forbidden Enclosure, I know what it means.”


The three of them scrimmaged for another minute before it came to a standstill with Nichkhun successfully disarming Rai and turning her sword against her, by her neck, and his Krabi right on Wooyoung’s scabbard protecting his chest.


“Hwang Ryong, Ooryu” Rai heaved, “The void in some, the golden dragon in others. The enclosure is the boundary to the interior seats of the five emperors- the constellation Cassiopeia- the rising gods of the east. I should have realized it sooner.”


“The rising gods of the east, there are five of them. Changmin is the last one, Hwang Ryong.”