CHAPTER 19: ♖ | ♜

Catharsis Factor

 

 

 


Jinwoon’s eyes stung from the dryness; he couldn’t even bear to blink. His mouth was dry and his chest painfully heaved up and down as the air forced its way through his lungs. His fingers trembled on his keyboard, the tiny quakes crept up his shoulders and down to his toes. He couldn’t move, and he didn’t want to breathe. His lips shook as he raised his head towards the monitor. Static filled the screen and gray areas moved up and down obscuring his live feed.


The explosion had gone off before he could warn Rai about it.


His head dropped onto the desk with a loud thud and he clenched his eyes shut hoping that everything had just been a bad dream. He should have known better. He should have realized sooner. Now their Turm was gone, and Jinwoon blamed himself for it.


Jinwoon opened his eyes, and his cell phone lay innocently in front of him. Phone calls were never something Jinwoon looked forward to. Being Hell’s analyst, it was also his responsibility to inform Staunton about the team’s well being. Each member was chosen for a reason, and the loss of one was always dire. This particular team especially.


A large puff of air escaped Jinwoon’s lips as he forced himself to sit upright. The live feed had finally refocused, and his eyes grew as he studied the screen. Rai’s mark was missing.


The assassin’s mark on their bodies made sure Jinwoon, and whoever else held access, could be able to trace each Hell member wherever they were in the world. Each mark was different and permanently branded into each person. That way there was no escape. Even in death their bodies would be found.


Rai’s, however, was not where Jinwoon last saw it, and hope bubbled up strongly within him.


“I hate shoes.”


Three words and Jinwoon felt the weight of the world off his shoulders. “Rai,” Jinwoon cried, his voice strained in his throat as relief and happiness overwhelmed him. “You’re alive.”



Rai grunted as she impatiently toed off the combat boots Kwon gave her and kicked them to the side. They bounced off the ledge, and one fell off the roof. The moment Jinwoon had screamed in her ear about getting out of the building, Rai jumped right through the window and into the next rooftop. The explosion knocked her down momentarily, and it took her a few seconds before she came to.


Dusting off the shards of glass on her clothes and skin, she studied the remains of the building. It had crumbled down bringing along what data Zara Choi had been hiding. Rai stared hard at the external hard drive she had snatched. “I got something, but I don’t know if this is going to be of any help. I just pulled out the first thing Choi tried to save.”


Jinwoon’s ragged breath was audible from his side, and Rai rolled her eyes. “Rai, Nichkhun and Chansung should be there soon, could you please wait for them? Please?


Looking down at the blood stains all over her shirt, Rai felt as if she had no choice but to concede. “Fine. I’ll be at the next alley. I hear sirens. Emergency units are arriving.”


She pressed a hand on her midsection as she peered down the roof. Her wound was throbbing steadily and heat bounced off her hands. Ignoring the slow building pain, she walked towards the building ledge. A narrow metal emergency ladder was installed to the side. Rai hopped down and slid down the ladder with her socks, stabilizing herself with the friction from her leather gloves. Jumping down the last few steps, Rai spotted the shoes she had thrown away and sneered. There was no way she was ever going on a mission, or anywhere for that matter, without her tabi boots.


She looked left, right, and up before peeling off the cumbersome socks and slipping into a pocket of shadow between the buildings. Reluctantly, she waited for Chansung and Nichkhun to arrive.


Chornaya Cherepakha. Whatever it was, it was the only key she had that lead to Fortuna.



Mai and Junho were both patrolling the area when the emergency call had reached them. They both had heard the loud explosion nearby, and the two officers quickly sped to the scene. Paramedics were already busy at work tending to victims while firemen and other rescue volunteers were going into the building to find more survivors. Yellow tape was already being marked around the perimeter, and reporters were already sniffing out a story. To the side various witnesses were giving out their accounts of the disaster, each with wild gestures of how the building had collapsed. A crowd was gathering around the site, and Mai pushed through the thick mass of people. Junho had already leaped into immediate action, flashing his medic badge and busying himself with the wounded. Mai, however, had different plans.


With the street closed off, she had full access to the blast site. At the back of her mind, she knew she needed some clearance before she dove right into the debris, and she hesitated right in front of the only access point into the building.


Shaking her head, Mai walked around the building and into the alleyway. Dust collected heavily on the ground and in the air creating a cloudy haze that obscured her vision. Concrete slabs created blockades on the alleyway, and Mai didn’t know what she would find here. Perhaps another tenant or a bystander caught in the falling debris, or maybe even some clue. Coughing, she waved her hand around her face to steer the dust away. It would take a few days before the lab would produce any usable data, but Mai wanted to have something to work on now.


Her foot caught on something, and she looked down to see a black combat boot. A chill ran down her arms, and she felt compelled to look up.


Rai stepped out from the shadows and stood directly in front of Mai. The assassin smirked at the navy blue uniform, the black tactical trousers from the other time definitely gave a more dangerous feel. Now, Mai just looked silly to her.


Mai squinted through the cloud of dust. All she saw was another figure in front of her. She took a step closer and when Mai saw her the officer’s first impulse was to ask about the other’s well-being. Blood ran down the sides of her face and all over her shirt. She was barefooted, and Mai could see shards of concrete and stone digging into her toes. Mai bit her lip and reeled back slightly at the sight of so much blood.


“I wasn’t expecting to see you at all, First Officer.”


Mai’s head snapped back up at the use of her rank. She recognized that voice, and her hand flew to the jutte holstered at her thigh. “You had something to do with this?”


Rai tilted her head to the side, eyes wide with a crooked grin. “Maybe.”


Mai couldn’t keep her eyes off the bloody Rai before her. Something at the back of her mind cued her that the blood probably did not come from the assassin herself, yet there was another part of her that gave Rai the benefit of the doubt. Once again, Rai appeared unarmed to Mai, and the latter did not know how to respond to that.


Mai wasn’t given any more time to contemplate for as soon as Rai sensed her drop her guard, the assassin pushed herself off the slab behind her. Mai staggered back. Rai’s surprise attack caught her off guard and she raised her jutte to defend herself, but not knowing what to defend against lowered her guard even more.


Rai kept her fists relaxed as she pounced on Mai who had stepped back enough to evade the first attack. Rai dropped low to the ground and swept her foot in a large arc tripping Mai’s feet. Black dots exploded in Mai’s eyes as soon as her back hit the ground. Rai loomed over her, knocking the breath out of the officer as she kneeled against Mai’s sternum. Mai brought one leg forward, swinging it into a large semi-circle and pushing the lighter girl off her. She jumped back up in time to block another one of Rai’s attacks.


This time, her eyes flew open as four serrated blades on each fist came at her. Hooking Rai’s wrist on her weapon was her first conscious effort to retaliate, but Rai’s lightning fast jabs gave Mai only enough time to dodge them.


Mai quickstepped to the left and attempted to jab the handle of her jutte against Rai’s sides, but the assassin leaped back, landing on another slab of concrete. Mai’s eyes were drawn to Rai’s bare feet and she blanched feeling the imaginary prickles on her own.


Rai squatted on top of the slanted piece of wall. Her fingers lightly touched the surface, and tingles of excitement rushed through her. She could feel Mai’s heart racing. So far, Kwon had been right not to underestimate Schatten, however, playtime was over. Rai jumped up into the air and twisted mid-way. Her feet landed flat on the remaining wall, and she pushed hard, nosediving towards Mai.


The officer stepped back, but another wall blocked her path. Left or right there were other obstacles in her way. Mai plunged towards the right, hurdling over another concrete slab. Rai landed with her left hand first on the ground, and ending off with a round-off. Both her legs touched down on the floor and she attacked again.


Mai knew she couldn’t keep evading Rai’s attacks, but how exactly was she going to counter? Rai’s aerial strategy disoriented Mai’s ground based techniques. Blood seemed to spatter around her, and Mai was certain it wasn’t her who was bleeding. Scarlet footprints lined the walls and blocks around her, and the sight alone made her stomach lurch.


When Rai attacked again, Mai successfully hooked the shorter girl’s wrist in her weapon. She meant to immobilize her, but Rai simply retracted her claws and drew her hand back. With another swipe of the deadly bagh nakh, Mai’s wooden jutte was left with scratches. The blades dug deep into the long shaft and created ridges on the smooth surface. Splinters hung suspended in the air, and beyond them were cat-like eyes and claws coming right at Mai.


Having no intention of being the prey in a game of cat and mouse, Mai crouched down low, her fists aiming for Rai’s solar plexus. She drove her shoulders forward and hit the sweet spot with her fists. She heard Rai’s gasps for air as the shorter girl tottered forward. Mai sidestepped to the right to avoid getting caught by claws and prepared for a sidekick, but the warm sticky sensation on her hand froze her.


Blood stained her hands along with long black strands of hair. Rai was doubled over on the ground coughing and gasping for air, but Mai’s attention was on the long braided hair by her feet. Her hands flew to the back of her head and her eyes grew in shock and disbelief. The long hair she worked so hard to maintain had been cut off. A more personal anger coursed within her and she lunged forward to land another strike, but a voice- one she recognized, stopped her.


“Mai! I’ve been looking all over for you. We need to report back-” Junho’s words were drawn back to his throat at the bleeding girl crouched on the ground. He quickly dropped on his knees next to her and pulled her upright and he soon found himself staring into amber eyes. Dried blood ran down her face, and fresh blood trickled down her torso. Junho tore his eyes away from hers and concentrated on the visible injury.


“Junho, she’s one of them,” Mai warned, taking a step forward.


Junho shook his head and gently lifted Rai’s shirt to look at her wound. All Junho saw were bloody bandages, not even new ones but reused cloth strips. He pinched off the knot at the end and loosened the dressing. “Not now Mai, can’t you see she’s bleeding. What did you attack her with?”


“Me?! I didn’t do anything!” Mai retaliated, floored that Junho would even insinuate such a thing.


Junho tore the buttons off his uniform and shrugged it off, lightly pressing it against the open gash. He cradled her head in his arm, and looked around, his eyes showing the slightest signs of fraught. “We need to get her to a hospital.”


Feeling as if she had to explain herself, Mai took another step forward. “Junho when I found her she was already bleeding-”


“Then why did you attack her?”


“She attacked me first!”


“Mai! Get someone to help! Now!”


Mai stumbled back half a step, surprised at Junho’s outburst. She moved to walk back towards the ambulance vans parked in front of the building, but two figures standing over her had her stepping back into the wall.


“We’ll take over from here.”


Junho stood up, carrying Rai in his arms. She was lightweight, more than Junho had expected. Worried, his brows furrowed slightly. Not caring who these men were, he turned towards them and steadily held their gazes. “No,” he said firmly, “she needs to get to a hospital. Now.” He took a step forward, determined to walk past these men. In his arms, Rai was still conscious but weak.


“That’s not a good idea, so just hand her over, and we’ll leave in peace,” the taller one said.


Junho’s eyes narrowed intently at him. “This is not a negotiation.”


“Exactly. Hand her over, and I’ll make sure he won’t leave you in pieces,” Chansung repeated, motioning towards Nichkhun who stood silent next to him.


Rai lifted a hand weakly towards Chansung, and Junho’s gaze returned to her. Even with her hair plastered by sweat and blood to her face, Junho could see her clearly. He was irreversibly drawn to her eyes. A light of recognition sparked in his mind, and he was left helpless as Chansung approached and took Rai from his arms. She looked smaller than she already was as she curled tighter into him.


Junho could feel Mai’s hand on his elbow, and he looked back at her shaking her head slowly. He moved to take a step after the unknown men, but Mai’s hand gripped him tight, holding him back.


“Let them go,” she said quietly and uncharacteristically.


“You said...she was one of them?”


Mai pushed at Junho’s elbow to make him face her. She knew this look on his face. Worry was marked all over, and with a sigh, Mai shook her head again. “I can’t believe we just let our targets go.”


Junho didn’t hear her as looked back, his focus remaining on the three figures who easily disappeared before him. He knew those amber eyes. It was unmistakable. He lowered his gaze to his blood-stained hands, and an almost imperceptible breath escaped his lips. “Ayame?”