Claiming

I Wished It Was Raining

 

I am at the park, sitting on a bench overlooking the water fountain. It is almost noon, the sun is straight above our heads, and people are starting to leave, to have their lunch, perhaps. But I decided to stay. Sitting here alone maybe the best thing to do at the moment because coming home to an empty house is too unbearable for me. Woohyun and I have been separated for a month now, and the loneliness without him has finally taking its toll.

 

The school was over and I was walking towards the school gate when suddenly a bouquet of red roses was shoved to my face.

“Lee Hani, be my girlfriend, please?”

I could hear his voice, I knew it was him, but his face was hidden behind the bouquet.

“What the-- Yah, Nam Woohyun, what’s the meaning of this?!”

I pushed the bouquet down, and there he stood before me, his eyes full of hope, his face was colourless. He put on a smile, and I could see that he was trying to be brave.

“I think I’m going to faint in a second, so please give your answer now, Lee Hani. Will you go out with me, and be my girlfriend?”

And I answered without hesitation, “Yes.”

 

Ah, memories. We were 17 at that time, and we are 24 now. I can’t believe that we have stayed together for so long, well, up till the temporary separation, I mean. We even went to different colleges, and I am impressed with myself to be able to stay loyal to Woohyun even though there were wonderful guys that had tried to win my heart.

“I have a boyfriend. My heart belongs to someone else.” I would say.

But does my heart still belong to him now?

 

We were at the living room, each on our individual armchair, each holding a book, reading in silence. The loveseat was long forgotten.

“There is no more excitement in us, Woohyun.”

Woohyun and I, we were growing apart. We had been living together for a little more than a year, but we felt like we had been married for ten years already. We were too familiar with each other, we could read each other’s action too perfectly, we were too routine. And routine is boring.

“We should take a break. Let’s be apart from each other, to see what we actually feel for one another. And when we’re clear about our feelings, we are going to take and direct our relationship from there. What do you think, Woohyun?”

“I’ll do it, if that’s going to make you happy, Hani.”

Woohyun moved out that weekend.

 

“Yah! Can you hear me, Hani?”

I snap out from my journey through history, and Hoya, to my surprise, is already sitting beside me.

“What were you thinking so deeply about, that you didn’t even realise that I’m here?”

He is looking at me curiously, he has his arms crossed over his chest. I realise that he is all dressed up and he has a box of chocolate on his lap.

“Hoya? What are you doing here? And are you going out for a date?”

He must be, having his hair styled up like that.

“Well, it is a nice day, I don’t want to spend it by doing nothing. I went to buy these chocolates at the candy shop over there when I saw you sitting here. But you didn’t answer my question yet, Hani. What were you thinking about, and what are you doing here, sitting in the sun, alone like this?”

“I was thinking about Woohyun.”

And that get him speechless.

 

“How are you holding up, Hani?”

Hoya is in his big brother mode now. I could lie to him, but he knows better. He is our closest friend after all. Hoya, Woohyun and I had known each other since childhood, and he has always been there for us for anything. Even now, Woohyun is staying at his house.

“I’m not really sure, Hoya. I mean, I miss Woohyun, but I don’t know if I miss him because I need him, or I miss him because I am too used to have him around. What about Woohyun? Is he okay?”

 

He heaves out a sigh, stretches his arms around me, and pulls me close.

“I’m sure you have your grounds for doing this, Hani. You asked him for a break, but for the reasons still unclear to me. Both of you might not be the best looking couple I know--”

“Hey!”

Woohyun is handsome, and I know I’m not that bad looking either, so of course we are the best looking couple around! Saying nonsense like that earns him a punch on his thigh.

“Ow! Easy there, Woman! Okay, okay, you guys are not that bad. Happy?”

I let out a chuckle.

“Jeez, you’re ruining a lovely moment here.”

“Heh heh! Sorry, Hoya. So, you were saying?”

 

He inhales a deep breath before he continues.

“As I was saying, anybody could see that you guys are meant for each other. You guys have the ever-sought-for chemistry, Hani, and I don’t think anything could ruin the love you share with him, not even time. And look at you, you are lost without him, am I right?”

I nod.

“Are you willing to let him slips away from you?”

I shake my head.

“Then you should grab him back to your side. He is going for a date like,” Hoya looks at his watch, “right now.”

“What?! A date? With who?”

“I’m not sure, but she is somebody from his office, Yunji, I think.”

 

Am I hearing this right? Woohyun is going out for a date? While I am miserably thinking about him? And it is with Yunji, that old maiden?

“If you’re fast, you can still stop him, you know? He should be waiting for a taxi right now.”

Hoya is back crossing his arms, giving me the space to start sprinting. I give him a quick pat on his shoulder, and I am on my way to claim my boyfriend back.