Chapter 3

FlyFish

 

A/N: Thank you SO much for subscribing and reading guys!!! Also, don't be scared to comment, I really love hearing from you!!!

 


 

 

Kyungsoo pushed the door open, only to be met with a new darkness.

 For some reason his eyes fell on the big closet, in the corner of the room, first. It looked like someone could fit a dead body in there, or maybe even two. The thought made his hands quiver even more. Next to the closet there was a mirror and a chair with a jacket carelessly thrown on it.

The rest of the walls were covered with a big bookcase and a couple of expensive paintings; not that Kyungsoo was an art critic or anything, but you could tell their value from the frames alone.

The desk in front of the bookcase seemed equally expensive and so did the two leather couches occupying the other corner of the room.

Kyungsoo was half-sure the big desk chair would spin around, any minute, revealing an evil middle-aged man drinking scotch and smoking a cigar.

Instead of that, the door closed loudly behind him and a kid, not older than twenty, jumped out from behind it.

“Boo!” The kid cried out with his hands raised and his fingers curled up to look like claws.

The kid had dark brown hair, tousled perfectly and tanned skin. His face was innocent and playful and he was taller than Kyungsoo.

The singer gave him a blank look.

“Did I scare you?” The boy asked, sincere curiosity in his eyes.

“Sorry. No.” Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what he was apologizing about.

The kid’s hands dropped and he pouted adorably.

“Ok… I’ll try harder next time.” He brushed it off. “Come in. Sit.” He pointed at one of the two couches as he settled on the other, Indian style, not caring that his shoes would probably ruin the leather pad of the couch.

Kyungsoo decided he had nothing to lose and planted himself on the other couch, facing the kid.

“I’m here to see Kai.” He repeated yet once again, wondering exactly how many people he’d have to pass through to meet the person he needed.

The boy’s face wrinkled a little at the statement.

“You’re looking at him right now.” He blinked a couple of times, with no expression on his face and Kyungsoo could not help but gape at him.

“You-you… You’re Kai?!” He tried to calm himself but the faded screech in his voice wasn’t easy to miss.

“In the flesh.” The boy gave him the thumbs up and Kyungsoo was sure he was simply pretending not to notice how shocked he was.

“Well, okay.” The singer tried to relax a little.

“And who might you be?” The boy, who apparently was Kai, leaned forward to observe him better.

Kyungsoo realized, then, that he was standing across a person who was definitely not stupid.

Kai paused and stared at all the right places.

The small pimple on Kyungsoo’s forehead and then the cut under his chin he had gotten from shaving carelessly. The infamous stain on his blue T-shirt, the discreet silver bracelet on his right wrist, a gift from his mother that was starting to rust because he wore it even when he did the dishes in the bar. Then, the places where his jeans were faded and the brown belt that tucked them close to his hips.

When he was done, Kai nodded, satisfied, because he had already figured out his visitor’s every little secret. Probably.

He smirked and Kyungsoo thought he didn’t look so much like a kid anymore.

His innocent features twisted into an arrogant smile and as his eyes narrowed they seemed suspicious and hostile. It felt like the mask had fallen off his face, letting all the raw wildness and brutality of his character escape.

Kyungsoo was scared.

For real this time.

He felt like a kid who had gotten into a white van because the driver promised him candy or something like that.

“What’s your name?” Kai asked and upon seeing the other’s hesitant look, he continued. “I already introduced myself, so isn’t it expected of my visitor to do the same?”

Kyungsoo bit his lower lip, anxiously. “Kyungsoo.” He whispered. 

“My name is Do Kyungsoo.” He repeated.

“A name I’ve never heard before.” The boy with the evil expression, muttered, yet he didn’t rush to bestow superficial judgment on Kyungsoo, like his cat-like secretary had done some time ago.

That didn’t console the singer much, though.

He’d much rather be called stupid names, like ‘third-rate’, than have Kai’s heavy and dangerous gaze stay on him for one more second.

“So what do you want from me, Do Kyungsoo?” The boy motioned for him to speak and it felt more like an order than a question.

“I heard you…” Kyungsoo searched hard for the right words. “You’re a person who can get things done.” He ended up saying the same thing Chanyeol had said, when he had mentioned Kai for the first time.

“It’s true. I am.” The dark-skinned boy agreed, blankly.

“I need your help.” Kyungsoo added, seeing as the scary kid had not yet stopped him.

“What’s the problem?” Kai’s tone was low and didn’t sound particularly threatening. However, there was something in his aura that kept the visitor at his toes.

“It’s a little stupid.” It dawned on Kyungsoo that all he had to say to that mafia-like boy was that he was in love and wanted to be loved back. And it sounded foolish, even in his own mind; the fact that he went so far to make it happen.

“If it was stupid, you wouldn’t be here.” Kai put in, with a no-joke expression.

“Well, actually, I’m really into this guy,” he tried to hide a blush. “But as you must have noticed, I’m just a poor nobody, working part-time at a bar and he…” His voice trailed off.

“He’s out of your league.” Kai provided with a sarcastic chuckle following his words.

“It’s true.” Kyungsoo retorted, sick of hearing everyone put him down. “I’m third-rate, just like your secretary said, and he’s first class material.”

The boy sniggered a bit at his sudden outburst.

“Tao said you’re third-rate?” He gave out a lop-sided smile.

“The wild cat you have as your doorman, yes.” Kyungsoo frowned.

“Oh, well, don’t mind him much. He’s just very sensitive to the lack of style.” Kai commented trivially, like he was used to explaining his secretary’s behavior.

“He can be a little scary sometimes, but the real beast in here is me.” He finished up and Kyungsoo didn’t feel like questioning it.

He was sure it was the truth.

“Anyway, continue.” Again an order. This time, the boy didn’t even bother to make it sound like a question.

“I’m in love with this first class guy and he doesn’t even spare me a glance. And I can’t stand it anymore!” Kyungsoo sighed.

“You want to grab him and drive him crazy with lust, right?” Kai’s eyes shone at the passionate image he had created and the singer realized that the scary boy must do everything this way.

Passionately.

Hate passionately and maybe also love passionately.

“Well, not exactly like that…” Kyungsoo coughed awkwardly.  “I want us to be together.”

“I see.” The kid nodded.

“And, correct me if I’m wrong, but when you said to Tao earlier that you came to talk to me about Kim Junmyun, you just-” Kyungsoo swallowed hard. He knew where this was going, so he beat Kai to it.

“I lied.” He confessed boldly. “Well, kind of.”

“Actually, I am here to talk to you about Kim Junmyun. Just not on behalf of Kim Junmyun.” He explained, trying not to look too satisfied with his little trick.

“How sneaky of you.” Kai glared. But he didn’t put his heart to it, because Kyungsoo suspected that when Kai glared for real it made people turn to stone and dissipate into small pieces of dust and dirt.

“The person I’m in love with is Kim Junmyun.” The singer cleared up the confusion he had created.

For a small moment, he saw something like anger flash before Kai’s eyes, before it faded out and the boy sank into deep thought.

Almost ten minutes went by like this; Kyungsoo sitting there, uncomfortably and Kai being in his own dimension, thinking about one thing, or another which Kyungsoo could not begin to understand.

“Supposing I helped you,” The younger boy, with the wild face, broke the silence first.

“What are you willing to do for me?” He asked and he was dead serious.

It was like a well-rehearsed line from a play. To Kyungsoo, it appeared as if the letters were flying out of Kai’s mouth and floating around the room, until finally resting on the furniture and the wooden floor, becoming part of the room. Part of who the dark-skinned swindler was.

What was he willing to do for Kai?

“I have no money to give you.” The singer started.

“What do you have?” Kai asked.

“Nothing really. Just this body-” His point was that all he had was himself. No belongings at all, just a body to work with. But somehow it came out wrong, making the wild boy raise an eyebrow curiously.

“Are you offering yourself to me, Do Kyungsoo?” He drawled, his low and husky voice burning holes on Kyungsoo’s logic.

“N-no!” He managed to shout and then upon realizing how loud he was, he put a hand to cover his mouth.

“Good. Cause it’s not like you have much to give. You look like a freaking scarecrow.” Kai motioned at his visitor’s body with a hint of disgust.

“I mean, it wouldn’t be the first time that a rich guy falls in love with a loser like you. But, if you’re going to be a gold-digger, you need to have the looks for it. Perfect body, strong muscles, a nice, spotless face.” He pointed out all the things that Kyungsoo obviously lacked.

“Do you even know how people fall in love, Do Kyungsoo?” He pressed on, his voice becoming crueler and crueler by the second.

“They don’t count the other person’s inner virtues and accomplishments. No. They fall in love just by looking at them.  Now tell me, who’s going to fall in love with you?” The last word was spoken with so much hatred that it actually caused Kyungsoo physical pain.

“Simple men… maybe, at some point they will realize that they cannot do any better. So one of them might settle for you… But Kim Junmyun? Don’t make me laugh! He can have an army of top models, if he likes.” The boy chuckled, disgust and contempt mixing in his dry laugh.

“Do you know what kind of person would be able to win Kim Junmyun’s attention? A siren-like person. Somebody who is beautiful and magnetizing but cold and mysterious; who gives people one glance and makes them madly in love with him.” Kai gave Kyungsoo a pitiful look.

“You’re nothing like that, Do Kyungsoo.” He watched the crushed expression on the other guy’s face.

He had finished him off, like that. One blow after the other he had made his victim just as desperate and pathetic as he wanted him to be.

“Now go. I don’t even know why you bothered to come here, talk to me about Kim Junmyun and even ask for my help, if you have nothing to offer me.” He motioned at the door and didn’t even spare Kyungsoo another look.

But the singer wasn’t done yet.

He knew all of the things Kai had said were true. He knew that and yet he could not accept being treated this way. If they guy didn’t want to help him, he could just say it. He didn’t need to insult him, like he was trash or something and then on top of that throw him out.

Kyungsoo didn’t pity himself, one bit. So he wasn’t going to accept Kai’s cruel words, without saying anything in return.

“Fine.” He said. “I’ll go. Actually, I can’t wait to leave.” He stood up furiously, glaring daggers at the younger boy.

“But, you, Kai, won’t be able to leave this place. You’re trapped in here. You think I’m pathetic? Why? Because I’m not good-looking and I don’t have money and expensive clothes?” It was Kyungsoo’s turn to laugh dryly.

“Even if I don’t make Kim Junmyun fall in love with me, I still have a life out there. I have friends, I have a job that makes me happy and a family that is there for me.” He paused, noticing that Kai’s eyes were still focusing on something other than him.

“Damn it,” Kyungsoo cursed. “Look at me when I talk to you.” In a fit of bravery, he towered over the boy and grabbing his chin, he forced his head upwards.

“How dare you touch me, you bastard?” Kai tried pushing the older guy’s hands away from his face. He didn’t use much force though, startled by the surprise attack from his visitor, so Kyungsoo’s arms didn’t leave his face.

“Don’t talk to me like that. I’m older than you.” Kyungsoo deadpanned.

“Like I said,” He continued as soon as the boy’s flaming eyes were on him again. “My life is already happy, with or without Kim Junmyun. What about you, though?”

They stared at each other, without any restrains, taking in very little detail of each other’s face. And they both seemed angry and hurt and yet none of them made a move to end this battle.

“What about you, Kai? Are you happy? Because that’s not the look of a happy person.” Kyungsoo was the first one to step back.

He let go of the boy and released a breath he had been holding for too long.

Then, he turned around and walked out.