Chapter 2

FlyFish

 

 

A/N: So... I know nothing much happened. BUT I promise to update soon enough with a really fulfilling chapter. Thank you so much for reading and subscribing and commenting. And, guys, I'd love to hear more from you!



 

 

He stood in front of a dark, old building between a Host club called ‘Fairy Land’ and a karaoke place. It looked abandoned, yet Kyungsoo hadn’t come all this way to just stare at the place and leave. He was going in to see this ‘Kai’ dude, with his own eyes.

He pushed a heavy door open and entered a narrow hall with dark walls and a small staircase. Slowly he went up, feeling his heartbeat rising dangerously.

He was either doing something very brave, or something very stupid. He remembered his grandma saying those two often overlapped and hurried to fix his painfully plain, blue T-shirt.

The first floor was just as dark as the hall downstairs. The only source of light was a green table lamp, sitting on top of a wooden desk. Behind the desk was a dark-haired, young man with piercing eyes that reminded Kyungsoo of wild cats and tigers and other members of the feline family. He looked tall and strong. More like a bodyguard or a ninja warrior than an office worker.

“Excuse me-” Kyungsoo asked timidly, while messing his hair awkwardly.

The guy looked up from his laptop, sizing up the newcomer and not even trying to hide it. After a whole minute of absolute silence the cat-like guy, lowered his eyes and went back to typing furiously on his computer.

“We didn’t order anything. You can leave.” He muttered, clear, unveiled annoyance ringing in his voice.

“I’m sorry, it’s not like that-” Kyungsoo tried again.

“We’re not interested in buying cookware or self-cleaning aquariums or knock-off cellphones, either. And before you say anything, yes, I can tell them apart.” A smug smile passed from the man’s face momentarily.

“Actually -” Kyungsoo was starting to lose his patience.

“Let me rephrase that.” The man in the desk looked up for the second time, his eyes flashing with anger. “Whatever it is you’re selling, we’re not buying. Now get lost.”

Chills run down Kyungsoo’s spine as he gave a startled glance at the other guy, Jongdae’s words about the police visiting this place more than once and a man killing himself, parading through his mind, all of a sudden.

“No!” He dared to protest.

For once the guy with the cat-like eyes seemed taken aback.

“I’m not here to sell anything.” Kyungsoo assured a little too strongly.

The guy behind the desk tilted his head and as the yellow light of the lamp hit him directly, he appeared attractive, with that sort of charm that hypnotizes you, the sharp lines of his face highlighted and his raven hair glowing somewhat.

“Then what is a kid like you doing at a place like this?” He hissed. “Did you lose your mommy?”

Kyungsoo barely held back a scoff. The scary guy was practically the same age as him, yet he had the nerve to speak like that.

“I’m here to see Kai.” He said, trying to make his voice sound confident.

“Kai?!” The guy straightened up and crossed his arms around his torso. “How do you know this name?”

“From a friend.” Kyungsoo answered curtly, not wishing to involve Jongdae in this mess as well.

“What sort of business could a person like you have with Kai?” The cat-like guy raised an eyebrow.

“What is wrong with a person like me?” Kyungsoo retorted.

The degrading glance the guy gave him made Kyungsoo lose some of his momentum.

“Badly groomed hair. Cheap, stained T-shirt. Faded, last season jeans and converse shoes.” He described and Kyungsoo felt his face burning.

“From top to bottom, you’re third-rate.” The person behind the desk paused to stare challengingly at the visitor, daring Kyungsoo to prove him wrong.

And Kyungsoo knew he had nothing to say to that. He was just an amateur singer who worked part-time in a bar and barely managed to support himself. His apartment was small and the paint from the walls flaked off and fell on his bed while he was sleeping. Plus, this cheap, stained T-shirt was the best he owned.

“Exactly.” The man must have recognized the dejected look on his face because he easily brushed him off and pointed at the stairs.

But, Kyungsoo, despite being poor and kind of a loser, was not a person who gave up easily. He just needed to come up with a plan that would allow him to meet Kai. The man behind the desk was witty and smooth-tongued, yet he also sounded easily impressed by money and expensive things.

“I’m here to talk to Kai about Kim Junmyun.” Kyungsoo blurted out before he could think this through. He figured that even the cat-like man in the dark room at Hongdae should have heard of businessman Kim Junmyun.

And he was spot on.

Not only did the guy’s mouth fall open at that statement, but he also jumped up, in shock.  

“Did you say Kim Junmyun? As in, the businessman, Kim Junmyun?” He shook his head in disbelief, while Kyungsoo nodded. It was only half of the truth; the guy didn’t know that, though.

“Wait here.” He scowled and standing up, opened another heavy door and disappeared behind it.

Kyungsoo did as he was told and five minutes later, the cat-like guy came back with a grim expression.

“He’ll see you now.” He muttered, giving another glare at the young singer.

“So, I just walk in?” Kyungsoo saw the guy nodding at him, as he finally returned to his work.

He gulped.

This was it.

He was going to succeed, or just stay there to be eaten by that strange guy called Kai and his pet tiger.