Chapter 1

FlyFish

 

A/N: This story has been stuck in my head for a while now. I hope you'll like it and be so nice as to comment and subscribe. 



 

 

Kai.

That was how people called him.

Kyungsoo had heard of him from his colleague Jongdae, who had heard about him from his friend Minseok, who had known him from his soccer buddy Luhan, who had met him, once, through his boyfriend Sehun, who used to go to school with him.

The details about him had been lost somewhere in that long line of people that separated him from Kyungsoo and so all Kyungsoo knew, at that moment, was that people called him Kai and that he was a notorious swindler.

He also knew he needed Kai’s help.

It wasn’t like Do Kyungsoo, at the early age of twenty-four, was particularly miserable and dissatisfied with his life. Quite the contrary, actually.

He had finished a public college and thanks to his impressive voice, he had been working as a singer in a little bar downtown. And he was happy with his life. He had Chanyeol for the jokes and Jongdae for the mischief and life just went by like that.

Up until he met Kim Junmyun, that is.

Kim Junmyun was the classy, young businessman who walked into his bar every Thursday evening at eight and left at exactly nine thirty, having consumed no more than three glasses of martini. He had soft brown hair and a smile that reminded Kyungsoo of Labrador puppies, vanilla cream and the beach in his hometown. He wasn’t tall enough to look hostile or short enough to pass unnoticed.

He was perfect.

And Kyungsoo had wanted to catch his eye for months now, yet he always seemed to fail. The fact that Kim Junmyun never stayed to the bar until Kyungsoo’s solo performance started, playing a big part to this failure.

“If he heard you sing, he’d fall head over heels with you at once.” Jongdae muttered one day, a while back, as they cleaned the tables together.

“Yeah, but he leaves at nine thirty and even though I serve his drink, he never looks up to see me.” Kyungsoo replied grumpily, replaying in his mind all the times he had volunteered to serve the handsome customer, only to be met with an absent-minded nod and a mild ‘thank you’.

“Maybe he doesn’t date underground performers. He’s filthy rich and successful, remember? I heard his company’s stocks skyrocketed, since he took over from his father.” Jongdae scratched his forehead, as he thought deeply about it.

“Then what am I supposed to do? I was born poor, so what do you want me to do?” Kyungsoo didn’t mean to snap at his friend like that. He was getting kind of desperate, though.

“What about that guy… That weird, creepy guy Jongdae was telling us about the other day? The guy who can get things done.” Chanyeol, a person who had no right to call other people weird and creepy, intervened then.

Jongdae frowned for a moment, trying to remember the conversation Chanyeol was referring to. When he did, his eyes widened in comprehension.

“Oh! Hyung, you mean Kai, right?” Jongdae asked and the tall guy with the deep voice nodded.

“Who’s Kai?” Kyungsoo perked up.

“Hm… No one really knows who he really is.” Jongdae tried to explain.

“His office is in between nightclubs in Hongdae. What he does for a living is a mystery, but my friend, Minseok, -you know, cute guy with puffy cheeks- well, Minseok says this Kai, earns enough from his mysterious job, to be living in a penthouse in Gangnam.” For some reason Jongdae’s voice had lowered, like it always did when he gossiped; which was often.

“And how can this guy help me?” Kyungsoo pouted.

“Well, Minseok told me, his friend from the college soccer team, Luhan I think he was called, was once in very big trouble with his job. He was accused of having stolen a big sum of money, or something, and even though he was innocent, no one believed him.” Jongdae paused to see if his friends were listening to him and saw the two guys hanging from his every word. He smiled sneakily and continued.

“Thankfully, Luhan’s boyfriend knew Kai. So they both went to meet him in his office, to ask for his help. Everything happened very secretly and quietly; even Minseok didn’t know any details. However, the next day, Luhan’s boss apologized to him for the accusations and even gave him a promotion and a raise.”  Cheers came from the two listeners at this.

“So this Kai is something like a Fairy Godmother, right?” Kyungsoo asked excitedly.

“I don’t know about that…” His friend sighed and avoided his eyes.

“I mean, he has the means to work magic. That is for sure. But in most cases he asks for something in return. Some sort of payment, I guess. I’ve also heard he was visited by the police a couple of times. A man even killed himself, because he owed Kai. Or so they say.” Jongdae’s face became grimmer while he washed the glasses and neatly put them to dry.

“If he helps people and asks for a lot of money or forces them to do horrible things, then… A swindler?” Chanyeol whispered in awe.

Weeks later, Kyungsoo didn’t know which of the two Kai was. A Fairy Godmother or a Swindler.

All, he knew, as he walked past drunk groups of young people, down in Hongdae, was that he wanted Kim Junmyun and he was willing to do anything to be with him.

Well, maybe ‘anything’ was a little too much, but he’d definitely do ‘a lot of things’ to have Kim Junmyun.